Thread: lost msts

Wink lost msts

hi guys it was runing fine got off it. then went back to run it ...... it openswith the sound but get black screen with green and red stripe at top then it disapears. after it loads up you can go then errers with space bar but total black screen can,t get out of there , have to boot cumputer to exet. do you think ive lost my game card???

Quote Originally Posted by bobgfla View Post
    hi guys it was runing fine got off it. then went back to run it ...... it openswith the sound but get black screen with green and red stripe at top then it disapears. after it loads up you can go then errers with space bar but total black screen can,t get out of there , have to boot cumputer to exet. do you think ive lost my game card???

I've seen some very strange requests for help on this forum but this one is heading toward the top of the list.

Let's see, I'd say that whatever you are running that you shoot for a blue and green screen (without the red stripe) instead, and for goodness sakes, do NOT press the space bar. That seems to be causing you problems. As to your game card, I really think that you never had it!

Really fellow, you have to be so much more specific and actually explaining your problem (not in colors) if you wish any help. You are moving into the top of the "what the heck" group!

Has been interesting reading though, I hate to say...heh.

Okay, just in case you are talking about Train Simulator (good guess I would think), you must have made some changes that made the difference. If you are not sure, did you make any changes to the default parameters? Did you add additional routes? Really, if you were working normally before then either something you did changed or you have changed other parameters.

If you do not know what changed, the best way to troubleshoot is to go back to the original installation and settings and try again. Of course this depends on so many things about your installation that is may not be possible. Just another item that has been omitted in your problem report.

If you made any changes then they are suspect! Latest graphics drivers, etc....??

i changed the cab of sal 4010 witch did not work,,,, from inside folder to cab folder after it want black i went and deleated that engine witch never worked anyway . and still got black screen. i have had msts for 6 years and reinstalled it 3 years ago and got new game card 6 mouths ago as old one was cooked . so mable will try runing route riter on it thanks bobgfla

The usual way to fix MSTS erors is to FIRST run Route_Riter Check Route AND the Stock/Activities test . . . THEN you post the forum questions.

This way you have more information you can post (the RR test results) about the bug. You do see the logic in that approach don't you?

Phrasing your questions 1n understandable English would be a great help getting your problems solved.

And when all else fails, restore your MSTS from the backup you should have made before changing MSTS files and content.
    Enjoy!
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

i changed the cab of sal 4010 witch did not work,,,, from inside folder to cab folder after it want black i went and deleated that engine witch never worked anyway . and still got black screen. i have had msts for 6 years and reinstalled it 3 years ago and got new game card 6 mouths ago as old one was cooked . so mable will try runing route riter on it thanks bobgfla
    Okay, changing the cab means modifying the .cvf file listed in the .eng file to point to another view. That would cause problems during operation with viewing the cab during operation (If it does exist, it would just be a visual problem). Of course, that does not mean that major errors would not cause other problems. Normally, that would just mean no view (blank if wrong), wrong view with other problems, etc.... Normally, it would not cause problems with starting the activity unless it involves the engine that is part of the starting program. Black screen usually indicates a cab view that does not exist. I missing, loading problems...

What you need to do is run Route Riter (check all utilities) and then run Convoi (no experience here) or Conbuilder Tests to find the problem. This will most likely pinpoint your problem.

Sounds like you made a change for an activity (for a specified route) and it did not work. If that is the case and you have problems with that route, it is probably because you still have the Activity, Service, and or other items still in the route.

When you have an Activity that does not work and you can NOT get it to work, you need to delete it and it's associated Services. Then you have to remove the associated Consists. The easy way to do this is to delete the Activity. Then run Route Riter (freeware) and note the faulty Services, Paths, Consists, and Traffic associated with it. Delete these and you will have removed this Activity from the Route. If you run Route Riter again, it should run error free.

Note: Activities call Services which call Consists, Traffic and Paths... All are interconnected so all should to be removed. Paths and Traffic can remain but do take up space.

Clarification of your self-imposed problem... If you change the .CVF cabview of an engine and it does not work, it is because you either made a mistake or the .cvf file does not exist where you specified. (default is in the current location CABVIEW). That means that all the associated .ACE files called within the .cvf file are present also unless specified in a different directory.

Anyway, just deleting the Engine only compounds the problem. If an activity or consist calls for this Engine, it will fail on loading...ie., you just compounded the problem by deleting the Engine.

The correct procedure is either correct the .cvf entry (Conbuilder Tests will check that) or Convoi (no actually familiar with it but others say it will find this error), or fix the activity that is calling this engine (See previous post)....
    Last edited by deagle; 08-20-2012 at 01:31 AM.