Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Train Show: Run 8 Simulator Q&A

Default Let's Talk Train Show: Run 8 Simulator Q&A

As you may know, the Run 8 Simulator is set to be released this Saturday August 25th.

http://run8studios.com/

Having beta tested this program for quite a while, I have some thoughts on this program, and you may have questions of your own. I will be hosting the Let's Talk Trains show tomorrow (August 25th) at 4 PM Eastern Time. The link to listen to the show live is here:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/letstalktrains

I also uploaded a sneak peek video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwic9unn7-M

You are encouraged to call in with your questions either via Skype or by calling (646) 716-7106 while the show is on the air. We will also be talking about other simulators, like MSTS, Trainz, and Railworks.

I am creating a full video review of Run 8 which will be released soon.
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Nick - if you get a chance to interview either Brad or John Greenstone, please put your "hard talk" on and press them on the following issues...

1. Why there is so much emphasis on multiplayer at what appears to be considerable expense of the single player experience. We know to some extent this title is fulfilling the very personal ambition and design of the developer, but if they want to sell it in the current environment it needs to cater for all tastes. I and many others like me have no interest in MMO.

2. To explain the somewhat disasterous PR resulting from the hard ball and occasionally downright rude stance taken with people registering at their forum. Permabans for the slightest infringement, asking questions or daring to try and compare how Run 8 will perform compared to other sims appears neither professioal, nor bodes well for customer support when things go wrong.

Thanks.

1. Why does it need to cater to any tastes? If you have no interest don't buy.

2. Unlike some forums that are more open, this and other forums are not public, they are private forums and have their rules. They were busy before getting this program to the level it is. Now they are busy making sure their customers are being taken care of.

Thanks

Sean

1. It's being released as a commercial product so surely it's in the interests of the developer/publisher to broaden the appeal as much as possible, assuming they actually want to make money off it. If it was just the guy's own personal take on what a train sim should include, then maybe he should have released it as freeware a la BVE/OpenBVE, or confined it to a small closed/private group. Given what I've been reading so far I am disinclined to buy, at least until the SP experience is improved to what I am personally looking for.

2. Which still seems pretty onerous given that some people on here have complained about permabans for the slightest of reasons. Again, this is a commercial product in the public domain, people handing over real money and that includes access to the support forum if that's how they are doing it. In business, the customer is always right even though you may not agree with their viewpoint. If they can't take the heat don't open the kitchen door!

In any event my comments/requests were addressed to Nick, in a desire to read a balanced, factual non-cheerleader review of the product, based on asking tough questions and not just glossing over issues which are of concern to many potential and actual customers.
    Last edited by NorthernWarrior; 08-25-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Considering I got banned from their forum, because I had said I wanted to see detail in the desert instead of just nothing but sand is stupid... without warning either. And their explanation was "Later"

Information

You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

Reason given for ban: Later

A ban has been issued on your IP address.

.......Yeah, horrible PR if you ask me!

Thank you to everyone who listened to the show!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    1. It's being released as a commercial product so surely it's in the interests of the developer/publisher to broaden the appeal as much as possible...
    Considering how RSC is receiving a lot of heat for trying to broaden that sim's appeal, I think it's understandable that Run 8 is trying to be as realistic as possible.

1. Different sims have different features. MSTS has an F4 window to show the signal ahead. Trainz has DCC mode for easy driving. And Railworks has freeroam scenarios.

AI Traffic is a feature. Some people want it more than others. If it's important to you that the sim you use has this feature, then either wait for the feature to be implemented or use other sims.

Another comparison is car shopping. Different cars cater to different markets. If I want a feature that isn't available in one car, I will buy a different one.

I personally don't really miss AI traffic in Run 8. I like the fact that every train I pass is driven by a real person.

2. How they operate their forums is their business, for better and worse. The best advice I can offer is for those who feel wronged to email 3DTrainstuff and respectfully ask for clarification.
    Last edited by Train-a-Mania; 08-26-2012 at 02:30 AM.
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

It is their business, as in mind your own business?

They are dealing with their customers right now, and have made changes at their requests. If you listened to the show (which you probably did not because we are FAN BOYS) or whatever other stupid label people want to say you would of heard Nick say that the programmer have included and delayed releasing the program 1 week to put in ideas from people on that forum.

Now is that bad business for you? I think it's great business. So some people got their feeling hurt, grow some balls, and perhaps they need to go play with trains if that is their problem.

Like I said before if it isn't for them so be it, they don't care, I don't care. In fact despite my efforts to try and say hey guys like what you like. But you had people coming in asking the same questions.

1 Business manager, 1 artist, a few route slaves, and about 10 beta testers in the mix. They don't have the depth for a PR department, and a press manager. Apparently they didn't get the word out, because we're not heard on the wire.

As for the forum being the only support, first of all customers do get the support. They probably lasted long enough to become a customer. Right now the board is full of people who love it, others who have issues, and they are all getting support. They joined my session late tonight helping a guy who got stalled in a tunnel. You tell me what company does that for their customers?

I had 6 brand new users tonight on my server and they all love it. They had lots of questions, and I gave them my experience to help them out. You don't like the company, don't buy from the company. You like what you got, good for you I like what I got. You don't like the way they do business then don't do business with them.

Really simple isn't it

Thanks

Sean

By the way Nick thanks for doing the show tonight. I'm sure his review will give you the highlights and downsides of the product. It's not perfect, but for me the plus far outweighs the negatives.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Train-a-Mania View Post
    AI Traffic is a feature. Some people want it more than others. If it's important to you that the sim you use has this feature, then either wait for the feature to be implemented or use other sims.
    Since AI in train games has been under development for almost 12 years now, and the company that pioneered a mostly passable version of it with MSTS still can't seem to get it right, I applaud a simulation that relies on actual real humans to run a railroad, just like in the real world.

Surely it's time to give the flag waving and cheer-leading a rest, Sean?
    Everyone knows that you are a devotee; you've told us often enough over the past several weeks.
    Now that the product is available, let the individual make up his own mind.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by flarrfan2 View Post
    Since AI in train games has been under development for almost 12 years now, and the company that pioneered a mostly passable version of it with MSTS still can't seem to get it right, I applaud a simulation that relies on actual real humans to run a railroad, just like in the real world.
    I am just wondering how successful multiplayer would be for the average Run8 customer. I flew multiplayer in Flight sims for a year or so , where the number of available users are in the hundreds of thousands, and many times you couldn't get more than a couple of people flying at the same time. When you factor the limited number of people in different time zones, that cuts it down even more. I finally stopped flying multi player all together in MSFS, and never went back to it. The advantage of AI, is it is always there when you are ready to take a drive ( or flight).