Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much time do you spend?

Default How much time do you spend?

How much time do you spend driving trains as opposed to adding new routes, installing activities, downloading rolling stock, making activities, and just plain tinkering?

For me it's about 20% actually driving on a route and 80% adding routes, acticities, new rolling stock, and the like.

In my lifetime I've built 4 model railroads. Everytime I finished one and all that was left to do was run the trains I got bored and lost interest. Most of the tme I gave the layout to someone and started over again building a new one.

That would happen to me if all that was left to do with MSTS was driving trains. Luckily for me there's a lot more to it than just that.

Noel

60/40.
    60% upgrading, 40% running trains.
    I would rather be running trains close to 100% of the time, but I like a specific look to the route, or sections of routes, that I like to run trains on, so I spend a lot of time modding.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

5% running other people's routes, 10% reading the forums here and elsewhere, 50% building scenery objects, 25% working in the RE, and 10% researching what I'm working on. Margin of error 5-10%....

If todays anything to go buy 90% trying to create an activity 10% swearing at the screen

80 % route building, 5 % activity creation, 5 % adding/modifying rolling stock and 10% actual driving...
    Greetings from Sweden!

I'm building the real Stockholm route as well as the fictional Borawian Railways route for MSTS!

Borawia route forum: http://borawia.freeforums.net/

Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    How much time do you spend driving trains as opposed to adding new routes, installing activities, downloading rolling stock, making activities, and just plain tinkering?

For me it's about 20% actually driving on a route and 80% adding routes, acticities, new rolling stock, and the like.
    Noel
    These days it's like 1% driving MSTS and 99% adding routes and rolling stock. I've got to play more, but on the other hand I want it all installed one day, too, so I keep installing and installing and installing ... and then I have to find some time for repainting and modelling some more, too ! MSTS is a full-time job.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif

I would say that I spend 75% of my time modeling in TSM & associated activity. Maybe 15% of the time is spent running, with the other 10% being "other" activity, including cursing at the screen....
    I recently relaid a lot of track on the East Metro to suit my desires for shortline running. Rich was hemmed by using default track shapes that resulted in some pretty unrealistic track plans, in my opinion. Normally, I don't do much in RE.
    Tyler
    Last edited by tbundy1982; 08-26-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Spelling...

Looks like most of us spend more time tweaking and adding than driving.

When MSTS forst came out I got bored with it after a while. Then 3D Trainstuff came out with Cajon pass and later Tehachapi Pass. That kinda started the ball rolling for add-ons with Train Artisan and some other payware after-market vendors, some of whom aren't around anymore, showed up. Then the artists in the group began uploading freeware routes and rolling stock.

They keep us from getting bored or burned out.

Noel

Yep, it's the distinction between gamers and hobbyists. I could have never afforded a fraction of what I've built here if it had to be in HO or N...

90% of my time is working in the RE, and creating content. The other 10% is actually running.