Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RUN-8 Control Keys for Driving a Train

Default RUN-8 Control Keys for Driving a Train

O.K., got it figured how to drive a train.

Now to learn how to use the Dispatcher, set a path for the train, do some switching in yards, make up trains, etc.

I don't think so and will stick with MSTSBin, ORTS and TS-2012 with all their available excellent FREEWARE add-ons !

O t t o

Otto, there's no engineer in the cab because you are the engineer.

If you're in a multiplayer session, you will see engineers in the cab because those are the other guys in the session.
    Last edited by Train-a-Mania; 08-26-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Quote Originally Posted by Train-a-Mania View Post
    There's no engineer in the cab because you are the engineer.
    So in this last screenshot I got teleported in front of the train so that I can see it rolling without an engineer in the cab, which would simulate reality ?

Got any more lame excuses ?

RUN-8 is History as far as I am concerned !

O t t o

Great. You've just shown hoodlums most of the steps involved on how to start a sitting locomotive... That's one of the reasons MSTS didn't --both UP and BNSF expressed that as a concern to the developers....

Is Dispatch really spelled with an E?.....

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Is Dispatch really spelled with an E?.....
    It's an alternative spelling:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/despatch

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    So in this last screenshot I got teleported in front of the train so that I can see it rolling without an engineer in the cab, which would simulate reality ?
    In reality, an engineer doesn't teleport outside of a moving train. In reality, the only view an engineer has is sitting inside the cab.

It's a simulator with MP focus. In an MP session, you will see engineers sitting inside the cab.

Couple of more questions before I put Run-8 to rest.

Can not see how one can uncouple and the train brake has no increments and is either all ON or all OFF !

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Couple of more questions before I put Run-8 to rest.

Can not see how one can uncouple and the train brake has no increments and is either all ON or all OFF !

O t t o
    To uncouple cars, open the menu shown in the screenshot below by clicking on one of the two couplers where you want to make your cut.

http://run8studios.com/basics5.shtml

First, close the anglecock on each coupler menu to prevent dumping all of your air. Second, press "Open Coupler". Third, pull forward and you are set.

The parking brake is a Run 8 feature to prevent trains from slipping downhill which applies and releases all of the handbrakes on a train. The train brake is controlled by the Home key (apply) and the End key (release). The independent brake is controlled by the PageUp key (apply) and PageDown key (release).

Full list of keyboard commands:

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...21#post1767021

It's an alternative spelling:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/despatch
    Yes, being employed by a European corporation who sells airline operations software and services, I'm quite aware of the British spelling.

DEspatch is still used throughout the Commonwealth, excluding Canada, who seems to have adapted the North American spelling with the I.

I would be quite surprised to see UP or BNSF using it in that context on their radio displays. E consumes more than twice as much power than I...

To uncouple cars, open the menu shown in the screenshot below by clicking on one of the two couplers where you want to make your cut.
    Did that and getting back into the cab this is what I see:

The loco accelerates at the same rate of knots as if it were still pulling the train I uncoupled it from.

So much for accurate physics !

Full list of keyboard commands.
    I have already posted this earlier on: https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...39#post1766939

Anyway, that's enough of that !

O t t o

10. Default

To deselect it (remove the red highlight), you need to click on space outside of the locomotive.

As for acceleration, did you release all of the brakes? Is your air pressure at 90?