Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Run 8 - Dispatcher Board And Interlocking

Default Run 8 - Dispatcher Board And Interlocking

I thought I would bring this out into a separate thread as it is to me - both from the point of view of being a real railwayman and wanting to see a simulation reflect safe practices - an important issue.

Just to recap, on playing around with the Run 8 Dispatcher Board in single play mode, there appears to be no interlocking protection of any sort built in. Perhaps those who have taken on the role of Dispatcher in multiplayer, can confirm whether this is still the case in that mode?

From what I can see so far, it is possible on the board to:
    1. Clear two signals in opposite directions which would directly bring two trains into collision.
    2. Clear signal even when the route (switches) are set against it.
    3. Move switches with a route set across them without returning signal to danger.

I haven't checked whether "running time" aka timeout is implemented if changing a route ahead of a train already occupying the block in rear of the signal.

Now consulting my old manual for Train Dispatcher 2, items 1 - 3 (and timeout) are most definitely against the North American signalling rules and indeed of just about every signalling system throughout the world.

So has Run 8 got it wrong? I raise the question here as I daren't ask on their own forum lest it leads to a ban and losing the ability to read other support questions.

Even though the sim allows you to set two signals in opposite directions for clear, in the sim they will display as red. This is also true for items 2 and 3. The signal system detects when the block is not clear.
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Then it's the board itself which needs fixing? My memory of actually playing TD2 is now hazy but I'm sure it wouldn't even let you do it on the panel. Even if it's indications only, it's still a "wrong side" failure.

Hi Vern !

Are you supposed to see where your train is in the Dispatcher's window ?

I am running the train out of G-Barstow, passing a double-red signal without a problem and there is no sign of the train in the Dispatcher's window, nor are all the tracks in the yards and mainlines showing.

How does one do any switching in them, setting switches as required, if they are not visible in the Dispatcher's window ?

B.t.w., what do all these session prefixes mean: G, H, L, M, X, etc ?

O t t o

Your train definitely shows on sections of track covered by the "Board" as it illuminates the track circuit lamps, but as to how you work hand points etc., I haven't got that far yet.

I believe the session names are essentially headcodes, with the first letter designating the classification - e.g. M = manifest. You really do need to have some previous knowledge of US railroading practice to fully understand the sim, it seems.

Yes, there is a red blob on tracks where the loco / train is but is does not move and most of other tracks in the vicinity do not show.

The switch settings are shown with N and R and can be set by clicking on their letters.

Ran this singleton with all brakes off and it can not go faster than shown.

How can a siding be used if not shown in the Dispatcher window ?

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post

You can't "go faster" because the PCS is open, your locomotive is in emergency because it's dumping the air and applying the brakes because you didn't close the anglecock when you uncoupled. The EOT error message is a normal one because you had previously had EOT communication from the train you just uncoupled from.

It's a bad order / setout siding, those sidings and industrial sidings aren't covered or controlled on the DS screen in Run 8 or real life. Click the switch stand to operate it much like a real crew would stop, unlock and hand throw it.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Then it's the board itself which needs fixing? My memory of actually playing TD2 is now hazy but I'm sure it wouldn't even let you do it on the panel. Even if it's indications only, it's still a "wrong side" failure.
    Correct, Vern.
    If I also recall, when a train passed a signal in TD2 that signal turned to red automatically on the board.

Bruce

Otto, CTC is not an all-knowing map like you see in other games.

In North American railroading, Centralized Train Control (CTC) is a method for controlling train movements on mainlines. Not all yard tracks and sidings are shown on real CTC boards.
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Hi Vern !

Are you supposed to see where your train is in the Dispatcher's window ?

I am running the train out of G-Barstow, passing a double-red signal without a problem and there is no sign of the train in the Dispatcher's window, nor are all the tracks in the yards and mainlines showing.
    The train appears as the red light once it has entered the CTC district.
    Manually-switched sidings and spurs do not appear in the Dispatcher's view, so you will not see your train when it is on a spur of a manually-controlled-only siding.

How does one do any switching in them, setting switches as required,
    Leave the cab, walk to the switch that you want to change, left-click and the base will turn red and the switch will move.

Bruce
    Last edited by seagoon; 08-27-2012 at 06:25 PM.