Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Run 8 host/client set up not working for us! Need help please?

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    You just posted what is the Achilles Heel of peer gaming... server overload/reliability.

The smartest guys in the room will quickly figure out how to set up a subscription service gaming server for Run8, unless it is somehow prohibited in their licensing rules & regulations.... maybe they're keeping that option for themselves to do as a value add service?
    Trying to run MP pier to pier is like gambling in Las Vegas, in my opinion. There is always something going wrong and you are so dependant on the hardware and ISP connections that other folks have. Setting up a gaming server is the only way to go, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    You just posted what is the Achilles Heel of peer gaming... server overload/reliability.
    Who knows? Soon people may even recognize that premium access to the reliable FlightSim.Com/TrainSim.Com file libraries is worth paying for even though it does not appear to be "multiplayer" -- and paying ensures that no Avsim-type file library disasters will ever happen here. (I'm a first class member of both FS.C and TS.C, and happy to pay for each.)

Server bandwidth/reliability costs, the only issue being who appears to be doing the paying. In the end the user always pays, the only question being what form the payment takes (as when the "free" Avsim library got permanently screwed up due to IT penny-pinching [dollar pinching, actually], forever ruining the value of the AG4 template for Ohio Rails that is still downloadable from the Skyline Computing website but is now extremely difficult to use because it relies on now-unavailable rolling stock).

(Steps down from soapbox.)

Back to Run8 ... If I end up liking Run8 multiplayer I'll be happy to pay for a monthly subscription if the pricing scheme is simple. Just don't charge me extra for exceeding some quota. Come up with a profitable flat rate that treats gluttons and anorexics alike, the purpose of the profits being to ensure that the capability will improve over time.
    Last edited by zzmikezz; 09-02-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Photo copyright 2009 Mike McCarthy, all rights reserved.

I'm new here and having the same problem with MP. How does one access the Run 8 America forum? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

The Run8 forums has been dead for years. Go to their official website and you'll see the forums they like

What problem are you having with MP? I don't feel like reading a 2012 post that you replied to as that was a different version.

What server are you trying to access? Are you trying to host? There are official forums for most servers out there with proper IP, ports, etc. MP has worked just fine for the last decade.

Thanks

Sean

Yea so true an 8 year old post. Possible start a new thread.
    Work Safe play hard

Then close and lock it..... Open a new thread...
    Dave Edwards