Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Run8 Is NOT a Train Simulator

Default Run8 Is NOT a Train Simulator

It is a RAILROAD simulator and, as such, is unlike anything else currently available, AFAIK.

In solo mode, it can be used as a train simulator, but once past the realistic running and the switching capabilities in one of the two sessions, it really has nothing else to offer to distinguish it from the currently more popular train games.

In MP, it goes way beyond anything else.

Whatever you may think of their business model, and frankly, as I said elsewhere, I wish it was different, customers looking for a railroad simulator are mostly very satisfied. Someone elsewhere compared their customer service to the Seinfeld Soup Nazi. I hope that, fair or not, the analogy follows in at least one respect...the Soup Nazi always had customers out the door, no matter how they were treated when they got to the counter, because the soup really was that good. If most of Run8's customers want and understand that they are buying a railroad simulator and not a train-driving game, maybe the analogy will hold true.

Quote Originally Posted by flarrfan2 View Post
    It is a RAILROAD simulator and, as such, is unlike anything else currently available, AFAIK.

In solo mode, it can be used as a train simulator, but once past the realistic running and the switching capabilities in one of the two sessions, it really has nothing else to offer to distinguish it from the currently more popular train games.

In MP, it goes way beyond anything else.

Whatever you may think of their business model, and frankly, as I said elsewhere, I wish it was different, customers looking for a railroad simulator are mostly very satisfied. Someone elsewhere compared their customer service to the Seinfeld Soup Nazi. I hope that, fair or not, the analogy follows in at least one respect...the Soup Nazi always had customers out the door, no matter how they were treated when they got to the counter, because the soup really was that good. If most of Run8's customers want and understand that they are buying a railroad simulator and not a train-driving game, maybe the analogy will hold true.
    The soup Nazi always went ballistic when someone asked for something as simple as some bread or crackers to go with the soup. Kind of like asking for a bit of AI or scenery, like a tree here and there to a multiplayer game to dress it up a bit.

Ha! Thinking of the soup nazi made me think of the classic abusive model of railroad management. Things are better now than they once were, but there is a long and legendary history of arbitrary and unpleasant actions by management in railroading. I am in no way passing judgement on if that description is appropriate for Run8 customer service, just observing that it's most definitely a prototypical practice to fire railroaders for speaking ill of the company, and that's even right in the rule book. Anyone who has speak some length of time around the railroad knows exactly what I mean and probably has dozens of stories to illustrate.
    Christopher

And it occurs to me, having had fun in sessions in three different ways, as an engineer, DS and in Foamer mode, we could also call Run8 MP a Railfanning Simulator as well! You can "hear" the scanner traffic, find out where the meets are, and teleport yourself almost anywhere on the line you want. Personally, I hope we get teleporting in real life someday, but probably not in my lifetime.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to host a session in about an hour from now. Details are in the Run8 MP forum.
    Last edited by flarrfan2; 08-30-2012 at 11:51 AM.

If it's not a train simulator, then why are you talking about it on TrainSim.com?....

So I am guessing with you deeply involved with this, Tallahassee Sub V2 and the D&H Canadian Mainline routes will not be released?

Quote Originally Posted by flarrfan2 View Post

In solo mode, it can be used as a train simulator, but once past the realistic running and the switching capabilities in one of the two sessions, it really has nothing else to offer to distinguish it from the currently more popular train games......
    Which is why the "train games" will remain more popular with the masses.
    R8 will only ever appeal to those looking for realism in train handling.
    Once the familiarity of operating solo gets to the point where everything becomes automatic then those uninterested in multiplayer will use R8 less and less.

The "let's see some AI" path has been well-worn over the past few months prior to R8's release, so there's no point in wandering down that again, but R8 will only ever be a niche product without that component.

Bruce

Could the game core deal with timetable (as in passenger timetable) style play as at some point it may need to expand into that area, for those who are interested in more than just freight trains?

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Which is why the "train games" will remain more popular with the masses.
    R8 will only ever appeal to those looking for realism in train handling.
    Once the familiarity of operating solo gets to the point where everything becomes automatic then those uninterested in multiplayer will use R8 less and less.

The "let's see some AI" path has been well-worn over the past few months prior to R8's release, so there's no point in wandering down that again, but R8 will only ever be a niche product without that component.

Bruce
    In flight sims, I flew a 767- Level D aircraft where the entire startup procedure was followed to the letter to get the jet fired up and ready for taxi. You could use the actual 767-400 flight manual and follow the procedure step by step, and if you didn't do something right, you couldn't get both engines going. It took about 10-15 minutes to do it properly and ready the aircraft for taxi. After a few weeks of that, I would just hit the start key to start everything up automatically. The novelty of following that startup procedure step by step, wore off pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsk8 View Post
    In flight sims, I flew a 767- Level D aircraft where the entire startup procedure was followed to the letter to get the jet fired up and ready for taxi. ...
    I used to do a similar thing with a Tu-114 developed by a Russian team. Highly complicated and, to make things worse, all labels in Russian!
    It took a long time to become familiar with the requirements but, as you say, once that challenge was over and everything became automatic, the interest reduced considerably.

Bruce