Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something To Note When Saving

Default Something To Note When Saving

Don't save your game if your train is straddling a set of reversed points. The state of the route/dispatcher board is not saved so when you resume the points lie in the normal position, the first and subsequent bogie will be on the other track and you stringline the train. The dispatcher board (correctly) does not allow you to reverse the points while locked by the track circuits. And if you try and set back, you will end up running through the point blades set normal with the first wheelset off the reversed route, possibly derailing. Even if the train doesn't derail, in reality the points would be severely damaged and at best you would need to clip them up in one position before using again.

More amused than annoyed but thought I would share so others avoid the same trap. Hopefully something the developer can address at some stage, ideally the state of the route being saved along with position of the train.

You have used the term "stringline the train" a couple of times in your posts so I would like to present the actual definition.

Stringlining

This type of derailment occurs when a string of light cars travel over reverse curve (S-curve) while locomotives are attempting to accelerate with all slacks pulled out. The reverse curve offers considerable resistance to the locomotive. The cars would tend to prefer to travel in a straight line, the line of least resistance. This causes in-train forces towards the inside of the curve in the middle of the train. If the middle cars are too light, wheels may climb the inside of the curve and travel along a chord to the arc.

That's the term the game used P834C, not mine, so something else they need to correct. In the UK it's known as splitting the points, usually only occurs on handpoints (depot or yard) or it has happened in engineering possessions when points are being worked on the individual buttons or wound manually and someone messes up. They did it at Exeter a few years ago with a Class 150 DMU going on the depot for servicing, derailing one car at a 45 deg angle and some very expensive repairs.

I was actually looking for a derailment when I walked back but instead found the rear of the train on the EB line while the front portion was on the WB, with one container flat straddling both...
    Last edited by NorthernWarrior; 08-30-2012 at 04:58 PM.

That was exactly what happened to me (see separate post with screenshot of split train).
    I saved whilst straddling the points and when I opened the save up and reversed, the incident occurred.

I think that the message stated "Knucklehead action: you have stringlined your train" or similar.

Bruce

Yes I thought the message was a but harsh in the context the incident occurred. I guess the only workaround would be to proceed to the next manually controlled crossover and try to remedy the situation there. Hardly prototypical though! And you're well out of luck if the adjacent lines diverge to any extent!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Don't save your game if your train is straddling a set of reversed points. The state of the route/dispatcher board is not saved so when you resume the points lie in the normal position, the first and subsequent bogie will be on the other track and you stringline the train. The dispatcher board (correctly) does not allow you to reverse the points while locked by the track circuits. And if you try and set back, you will end up running through the point blades set normal with the first wheelset off the reversed route, possibly derailing. Even if the train doesn't derail, in reality the points would be severely damaged and at best you would need to clip them up in one position before using again.

More amused than annoyed but thought I would share so others avoid the same trap. Hopefully something the developer can address at some stage, ideally the state of the route being saved along with position of the train.
    Speaking of straddling a switch...though Run8 does not provide for derailments, intentionally (though the programmer is considering some kind of message that would pop-up if the physics said you were on the ground), a screenshot forum post at Run8America demonstrates exactly what happens when a hand-throw switch is thrown while a train is on it! You can in fact go on the ground in Run8!

Another situation not to save is with the rear of the train on a bridge, as the camera will not let you angle it to place the EOT device. The "E" key to raise elevation of your "avatar" doesn't work. I had to draw the train forward without the EOT and stop with the back end on level ground, attach, then sit twiddling my thumbs while the brakes released. I presume the same will apply with the back of the train sat in a tunnel, as the external camera takes you over the terrain, not through the hole.

So add to the wishlist, the Save function not only needs to preserve the state of the infrastructure and dispatcher board, it needs to save the configuration of the train.

The ideal way to save is to route your train into a siding and stop it. After saving and returning you should not have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Another situation not to save is with the rear of the train on a bridge, as the camera will not let you angle it to place the EOT device. The "E" key to raise elevation of your "avatar" doesn't work. I had to draw the train forward without the EOT and stop with the back end on level ground, attach, then sit twiddling my thumbs while the brakes released. I presume the same will apply with the back of the train sat in a tunnel, as the external camera takes you over the terrain, not through the hole.

So add to the wishlist, the Save function not only needs to preserve the state of the infrastructure and dispatcher board, it needs to save the configuration of the train.
    The "E" and "Q" keys only work in the flight camera (Shift F12).
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Quote Originally Posted by Train-a-Mania View Post
    The "E" and "Q" keys only work in the flight camera (Shift F12).
    .....which is only accessible after attaching the EOT device.
    Catch-22.

Bruce