Thread: Sudden flashing of vegetation at night.

Default Sudden flashing of vegetation at night.

Hello,
    I have a route that upgraded. When my upgrades were complete, I ran the route numerous times at night, and never had any issues.

Last night I selected an activity, and adjusted it for night running. As soon as I started rolling, I noticed some hare-and-there flickers on parts of trees, and other vegetation.
    Made no changes to the vegetation files themselves since the last night run.

What has changed are these two things:
    Environment file editing for darker night skies,
    Vid Card drivers.

Would either of these two items possibly play into this sudden unwanted effect?

I have not tried another route yet, at night, but will this evening.

Thanks,

EDIT: I just tried another route, and the same thing happened. I am now leaning towards the driver being the problem.
    I can try another version and go from there.
    Last edited by qballbandit; 08-31-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

I've seen that on my previous computer system. Believe it or not, I haven't tried running night sessions in the years I've had this computer. Anyway... the effect on mine looked like someone was out in the woods with a really BIG flashbulb camera. Very weird.

I will be watching your (this) thread to see if you or someone comes up with what causes this.

Hi Neil,

Just running KHP2 at night and noticed some flickering like you mention.
    Upon closer examination, the flickering was coming from trees that were just about to come into the lights of the loco I was driving.
    IE: just before the trees started to get brighter, there was a flash.
    Cheers
    Derek

Hello Derek, and Andre.
    First, I want to be clear, and reiterate what I wrote in my first post - the trees worked fine prior to the two changes I mentioned being made to MSTS, and my system.
    Also, to be clear - this is not the night flashing problem, fixable by editing the shape or texture files.
    I also realized that the second route I tested, had the same edited .env file in it.

This being said, my issue was the editing of the .env file to gain a darker night sky. On my system, for whatever reason, the .env file did not like any values starting with "00", as compared to "FF". Once I changed the values back their original state, the vegetation stopped shimmering.
    Now I can go back to trial-and-error, editing and testing until I find the right values and sky darkness.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    This being said, my issue was the editing of the .env file to gain a darker night sky. On my system, for whatever reason, the .env file did not like any values starting with "00", as compared to "FF". Once I changed the values back their original state, the vegetation stopped shimmering.
    I tried to warn you about that in your other thread in the first paragraph of my reply.

regards,
    charlie

...this is not the night flashing problem, fixable by editing the shape or texture files.
    Where can I find more information about this and fixing it? I don't like the effect at all and it prevents me from enjoying night running.

Thanks.

Charlie! You caught me

Hi Andre,
    I have something, somewhere in my notes. I'll add it here when I locate it.

Edit: Andre, have a read through this thread!
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...ht=night+trees
    Last edited by qballbandit; 09-01-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    Neil