Thread: Serious question

Default Serious question

Because I really wonder whether any other sims but Run8 could do this. Standing beside my train at Cliff, I notice what looks like an oasis at the left center of the view in the first pic. Zoom in full with the mouse wheel...it's Caliente! Technically, the max dfraw distance in Run8 seems to be 4000m, or more than two and a half miles. Even though my laptop is on the low end of the specs, I didn't see much difference in performance, so I left it at the max. There are some spectacular views to be had while waiting in this particular siding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flarrfan2; 09-04-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Both FS and FSX have that capability, to name but two.

Bruce

Well, of course, Bruce, I have used both. I should have qualified it by saying train sims. I don't know how far you can see in RW...never got much beyond a few runs on Cajon and the process of downloading the CSX mainline, where I didn't see much of anything I recognized.

Yeah, it surprised me too. I once got a call about a train that I should meet and that he was waiting at Caliente because of some coupling breakage. Accidentally I looked down and I could actually from that point see how the loco was separated from the rest. The depth is simply great.

Draw distance in TZ is 5000 max and with the ability to walk as far away from the player train as you wish, unlike RW.

Quote Originally Posted by flarrfan2 View Post
    Because I really wonder whether any other sims but Run8 could do this.
    of course, here I am coming to a stop in the same siding in Trainz.

Wow, that is a really nice shot Justin!

btw, heard there is to be a 8,000m/10,000m viewing feature to a program for a "Train Sim" sometime in the near future.
    Last edited by PORU333; 09-22-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PORU333 View Post
    ...btw, heard there is to be a 8,000m/10,000m viewing feature to a program for a "Train Sim" sometime in the near future.
    If that is correct then I have to wonder why on earth you would need, or want, to see something 8 to 10 kilometres away other than a "distant mountains" effect in the background.

Bruce