Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report any RW3/TS2013 signalling errors here please.

Default Report any RW3/TS2013 signalling errors here please.

I suggested to Mike (Neyland) that we should start a new thread to capture in one place all bug reports related to signalling in Railworks/Train Simulator 2013. It's not for reporting them to RSC, but just so that I can look into them when I have time. I had a good look at the .lua scripts last year when I was making animated signal levers and instruments, and I was left with the urge to give the scripts a thorough going over (debugging software is one of the things I do for a living).

So, if you find something that doesn't work the way it should (doesn't follow prototypical operations), then post your report here, along with an explanation of how to reproduce the error. I'll try to create a test route to reproduce it and see if I can debug the script. Whether or not RSC have any interest in the results remains to be seen, but at least we can try to make things better ourselves.

Signalling not being of much concern to many and TS-2013 not due until Friday, this thread could sink out of sight by then.

Should it be PINNED to the top of the forum page ?

I am sure that another TS-2013 general problems reports will have no problems staying at the top !

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Signalling not being of much concern to many and TS-2013 not due until Friday, this thread could sink out of sight by then.

Should it be PINNED to the top of the forum page ?

I am sure that another TS-2013 general problems reports will have no problems staying at the top !

O t t o
    Yes Otto, but I'm not concerned with general problems ... I leave those to you

I'm only concerned specifically with signalling problems, because I'm pretty sure they can be fixed, since we have the .lua scripts. It's just a matter of somebody taking the bull by the horns and doing something about it.

Hi Mike,

well we know about the problems on single track sections.
    Also for UK signalling we need to be able to have more than two semaphore arms to each signal link.
    Another thing i do not understand Mike, is why there are single Home semaphore signals with up to 7 links attached.
    When on the Semaphore Junction signals ( 2 arms ), the max is 3 links, "0" "1" "2".
    I apologise if any of the info i give is incorrect. But it is only from yesterday that i have even looked in the RW route editor for over 6 months.

regards,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by neyland View Post
    Hi Mike,

well we know about the problems on single track sections.
    Also for UK signalling we need to be able to have more than two semaphore arms to each signal link.
    Another thing i do not understand Mike, is why there are single Home semaphore signals with up to 7 links attached.
    When on the Semaphore Junction signals ( 2 arms ), the max is 3 links, "0" "1" "2".
    I apologise if any of the info i give is incorrect. But it is only from yesterday that i have even looked in the RW route editor for over 6 months.

regards,
    Mike.
    Thanks Mike,

It's odd, I don't remember seeing any with more than three links. For a junction, there are two links ahead, one for each red/white arm (and they get attached just beyond the junction, one on each branch of the Y), and one behind, to exchange messages with the signal (usually, but not always, a distant) in rear. Ah, but then there are the junctions that combine two starters and two distants (for short blocks). They've probably got more. I'll have to check when I can get back onto Steam.

The only reason I can think of for having a Home with seven links would be if there were one link ahead, and six behind! (one for each distant in rear, if there were six paths leading to the home).

Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by mrennie; 09-15-2012 at 04:02 PM.

If you want I could sticky it temporarily, or better still move it to the RW Route And Scenario Creation forum and sticky it there? Dealer's choice, but be advised the biggest bug is that AI trains don't follow signals - they follow a path, the path is what responds to signals, same as MSTS (same original programmers). Have a read of these;

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtop...f=339&t=116982

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtop...f=339&t=117900

Whatever signals are used in the route, the script for the session has to be set up and debugged to get the AI trains running, then the player has to stick to the schedule as close as possible because AI trains react poorly, if at all, to signals that are red when they're expected to be green (or vice-versa) according to the script timetable.

Sure, let's move it and sticky it over there.

Yes, looking at the scripts, you can see that the signals send messages to each other according to what's happening in the blocks, i.e. how the switches have been set and where the trains are (in fact, switches send messages too, to tell signals about changes to junctions), and the signals respond to the messages to determine what aspect to show. The signals also have a set of state variables that they (try to) keep up-to-date to remember the occupancy of their own block as well as the blocks ahead and behind, which gets very complicated when there are junctions. What I haven't found ever are messages that the signals send to the trains - although there are functions that tell the scripts when how far the front and back of a train are from the signal. So, you can quite happily modify or create a script to programme a signal to set itself to clear or danger, disregarding all that information around it, but the train itself gets its information through some independently calculated code (the internal dispatcher code), so it doesn't matter what you do to the signal itself, the train will obey the dispatcher, and the signal (script) just has to try to be right. All we (I) can do is to try to debug the signal scripts so that at least they have a better chance of keeping themselves in line with the internal dispatcher's state and not show the wrong aspect.

Signals without AI should be looked at first. This must be perfect before tossing in AI trains.

I suspect that the program is looking at the occupancy tables in the approaching block. There is nothing sent to the train motion program by the signal code is my guess.

AI passing a RED is probably a fault in how AI looks at the state of the occupany tables. Or, the links can be an issue. Placement with a block is sensitive. Placement covering more than one switch is a possible problem as well. Once the signal operation - lights and occupancy table are vetted maybe AI might fall into line. Will you concentrate on USA or UK signals. Doing both concurrently may cause greying/graying of the hair.
    Regards - Dick
    i5 2500K$ 4.2ghz, GTX 750 2gb, 8gb of SkillFULL memory, A 700 watt power thingy, lots of cables
    Program to take screenie weenys from da puter. Bro, Dude, Man operator Murysville,Pa.

Hi Mike,

just quickly placed a 7 link Home Semaphore on the SWW route just to show you what i meant.
    I also just spotted in the pick list an 8 link as well.
    I really do not understand the thinking behind the RW signals.

Sig1.jpg

regards,
    Mike.

I think the idea is for link 0 to be ahead of the signal, and the other 6 links to go behind it on each of 6 tracks that lead (maybe from a yard) to the home signal, that is, they should be attached to any track from where a train could approach the signal (going in the forward direction).