Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Report any RW3/TS2013 signalling errors here please.

I don't know Mike, but wouldn't that go against the usual rule for placing signals ?
    Link 0 by the signal and then any further links ahead of the signal.
    Protecting the path in front of the train.
    Trouble is there is not enough documentation explaining these things, as far as i am aware of.

cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    Signals without AI should be looked at first. This must be perfect before tossing in AI trains.

I suspect that the program is looking at the occupancy tables in the approaching block. There is nothing sent to the train motion program by the signal code is my guess.

AI passing a RED is probably a fault in how AI looks at the state of the occupany tables. Or, the links can be an issue. Placement with a block is sensitive. Placement covering more than one switch is a possible problem as well. Once the signal operation - lights and occupancy table are vetted maybe AI might fall into line. Will you concentrate on USA or UK signals. Doing both concurrently may cause greying/graying of the hair.
    That's what I found last year. The "train motion program" doesn't receive anything from the signals, but the signals do get sent information about trains by the dispatcher.

For example, there's a function called OnConsistPass that gets called whenever a train is over a signal's link. It tells the signal's .lua script how far the front and back of the passing train are from the link, as well as how far they were the previous time the function was called. The scripts use this information to work out which way the train is travelling, and for example, when the back of the train has fully passed the link 0 (ahead of the signal), the script updates its own occupancy table to remember that there's a train in the next block. The signal will get a message from the next signal up the line when it determines that the train has left that block and entered its own block.

That's basically how it all works. Every signal has its own set of state variables, which include its own block occupancy table (they don't all share a single, global database, which is a bit of a pity, but each one has to build and maintain its own), and they rely on information coming from the internal dispatcher through calls it makes to functions (with pre-defined names) in the signal scripts that are called by the dispatcher, combined with messages sent "along the tracks" (best way to describe it) by other signals and by switches (these invoke another pre-defined function named "OnJunctionStateChange"), to keep a correct and up-to-date snapshot of the state of everything of importance to that particular signal. Those links you place on the track are there to intercept those messages and to provoke function calls by the dispatcher.

Quote Originally Posted by neyland View Post
    I don't know Mike, but wouldn't that go against the usual rule for placing signals ?
    Link 0 by the signal and then any further links ahead of the signal.
    Protecting the path in front of the train.
    Trouble is there is not enough documentation explaining these things, as far as i am aware of.

cheers,
    Mike.
    Ah wait, you might be right. I'm a bit rusty on this (and I can't get on the Steam computer to check it right this moment). I seem to remember that the multiple forward links thing was to protect a path where there are mutliple *converging* (not diverging) tracks ahead, so you put one link just behind each of the converging junctions until you get to the point where there are no more such junctions between that link and the next signal. The point of that is so that the home doesn't clear unless all the switches are set to give a clear run through all the way to the final link. It's assumed that each of those converging tracks will itself be protected by another signal that would hold any trains there while our train was cleared to go ahead past all those junctions.
    Last edited by mrennie; 09-15-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Hi Mike,

Will you also be looking into some of the US scripts? The ones I find that doesn't appear to function are the yard entry/exit scripts (US Def2 2 Head 1E1 40.lua and US Def2 2 Head 2E1 40.lua). IIRC, the default 2-head dwarf signal uses these, but all I see is that all lights are on, which is usually an indication that the script is not properly initializing.
    Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Quote Originally Posted by boleyd View Post
    Will you concentrate on USA or UK signals. Doing both concurrently may cause greying/graying of the hair.
    UK semaphore signals first, because they're the ones I studied last year. I remember looking at scripts for automatic colour light signals too, and they had some more nuances in them that I didn't bother trying to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Hi Mike,

Will you also be looking into some of the US scripts? The ones I find that doesn't appear to function are the yard entry/exit scripts (US Def2 2 Head 1E1 40.lua and US Def2 2 Head 2E1 40.lua). IIRC, the default 2-head dwarf signal uses these, but all I see is that all lights are on, which is usually an indication that the script is not properly initializing.
    OK, I'll look into that one next week.

Yes Mike, as per my pic but i placed the signal at the wrong location for it to work properly.

So if that Home signal was placed correctly, it would protect all the paths into those sidings.

But in reality, that is a complete nonsense. What should be there is a Home signal with a Route Indicator

5th pic down Mike, known as a "clack box".......... http://www.signalbox.org/signals/gw.htm

regards,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
    OK, I'll look into that one next week.
    I just had a quick look and sure enough, in the initialisation of the signal, it says:

for head = 1, numHeads do
    gHeadState[head] = ANIMSTATE_GREEN
    end

Thanks Mike. So those need to be "for head = 2, numHeads do"? Let me adjust and see if it works.
    Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Quote Originally Posted by neyland View Post
    Yes Mike, as per my pic but i placed the signal at the wrong location for it to work properly.

So if that Home signal was placed correctly, it would protect all the paths into those sidings.

But in reality, that is a complete nonsense. What should be there is a Home signal with a Route Indicator

5th pic down Mike, known as a "clack box".......... http://www.signalbox.org/signals/gw.htm

regards,
    Mike.
    I think we're talking about two different things. It's hard to describe, but imagine there are several trailing points ahead of the home (for example, coming from the exits from, not the entrances to, a yard, or maybe from a branch line that joins the mainline a little bit further ahead). The home can't clear unless all those trailing points are set to give a clear path from the home to beyond all those points. The links have to be set behind each of the points, on the track "belonging" to the home. This is so that each link will intercept a message sent back down the line by the switch (the links convey the message to the signal's script). If a switch (points) is set against the train that's approaching the home, the signal's link will get a message telling it that, and the home won't clear.

These signals with one arm and multiple links are meant for that ... protecting a path through a sequence of trailing points ahead, not for indicating entry into a yard. RW assumes that there's always one arm per route ahead (for diverging junctions ahead).