Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington & Old Dominion

Default Washington & Old Dominion

This weekend (Sep. 15-16, 2012, for the benefit of people reading this in the future) I started a new route: the Washington & Old Dominion during the electrified era. It will surely be a few years till it is finished.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

Sounds like an interesting project. How long is the route and what era are you modelling?

Keep us posted. It will be good to follow along your progress.

Northern Virginia, United States of America

I live near the old W&OD right of way. The Washington and Old Dominion, in the era that Steve is modeling it in, was an Interurban line running on two divisions, the Great Falls division that ran from Vienna to Great Falls VA, and the Bluemont Branch (which contained most of the railroad track mileage) that ran (if I recall correctly) from Potomac yard to Bluemont VA. For power, the road had a large selection of wooden trolleys of many different kinds, it also had a few boxcar-turned-boxcab motors, as well as your average motors. I am aware of five steam locomotives the railroad owned at this time. Those engines were a pair of 2-8-0s built for W&OD by Baldwin, and three New York Elevated Forney tank engines that were primarily used on work trains.

Seeing as how the railroad is being built in MSTS, I may try my hand at re-creating some of the equipment.

Glad to see this project happening, Steve. I grew up close, across the river on B&O's Georgetown Branch. All I remember was riding along the bike path; I'm too young to have seen trains, but I read about it in books. Always kind of interested in it. And I remember going to the model railroad club in the Vienna station.
    Christopher

I've been waiting for this route for a very long time. unfortunatly, the old route is now a bike trail but happends to cut through my hometown of Sterling, VA
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic75077_5.gif
    Cory Duguid
    US NAVY

To answer the question about mileage, from Alexandria to Bluemont was about 55 miles, from Rosslyn to Great Falls about 13 miles, and the connecting line from Bluemont Jct. to Thrifton Jct. about 4 miles, I think. I plan to model the period from 1923, when the Rosslyn Terminal opened, to the early 1930s, before the Great Falls line stopped operating.

Fleegle, if you're able to model some of the trains, that would be wonderful. I am starting to learn Google Sketchup to model some of the line's distinctive structures (my first simple effort, the W&OD Sunset Hills station, was posted to the file library last week), but I don't know whether I'll ever learn to create trains.

A few years ago I found Harwood's book in the Fredericksburg library, and in 2001 my employer moved to Shirlington, so I took an interest in the W&OD and am trying to hike the whole trail.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA

This railway project is being implemented on which area?
    Last edited by FlorenceCommons; 02-22-2013 at 02:21 AM.

Florence, if I misunderstood your question and am not answering it, please ask again.

The Washington and Old Dominion ran from Alexandria, Virginia, on the Potomac River, to Bluemont, Virginia, at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains. There was a line from Rosslyn, Virginia, also on the Potomac, to Great Falls, about 15 miles upstream. The two lines were joined by a connecting line of a few miles in Arlington, Virginia. (Originally they were two separate railroads, but the electric line to Great Falls bought the other line and joined the two.)

A progress report: I've been laying track westward, and I've gotten beyond Purcellville, so I have less than 7 miles of track to lay. I've been placing bridges as I go, since they use specific tracks. I've also created most of the stations with Google Sketchup. I expect that the rest of the scenery will take another year at least.

Fleegle, you said you might try your hand at rolling stock for the route. The new Cornwall Street Railway centercab electric engines in the file library look similar to the W&OD centercabs, one of which was actually sold to the Cornwall Street Railway. Only a repaint might be needed to create W&OD numbers 50 and 51.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA

Hi Steve,

If you need the TSM files for the centercab just let me know.

On a side note, FJ&G's 44 tonner 30 was originally owned by W&OD.

Paul :-)

Thanks, Paul.

I don't have TS Modeler and am still learning Sketchup. Heck, after 10 years I'm still learning things about Route Editor. If need be, I can repaint equipment, but for now at least I'm leaving rolling stock creation to other people.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA