Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Washington & Old Dominion

Hi Steve,

I'm on my sixth? route and still learning!

Do you have a color picture of W&OD 10, all I've found is a black and white when it was out of service in Iowa.

Paul :-)

I whipped up a W&OD 44-tonner for Jimmy (fleegle411). If any stock is being included in the W&OD route, I'd be more than willing to include the 44 tonner.

It would be nice to bundle the rolling stock. That was my intent with the Coast Cities Railway, and that's how I sent it to beta testers, but then I forgot to include the trains when I uploaded the route to the file library and had to upload a separate file. :-(

I think that the only color photo I have of any Washington & Old Dominion electric car is in the 4th edition of Herbert Harwood's book Rails to the Blue Ridge. It shows no. 41, another Southern Car trolley, in green and gold. The caption says, "Throughout most of their lives, W&OD electric cars and locomotives wore somber dark green or black liveries …" I'm setting the route circa 1930, when the Great Falls Division was still running, so I guess "somber dark green or black" would be right.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA
    www.stevedunham.50megs.com

Even though the diesels came after the ninteen thirties, it would be nice to have them available. Besides the 44 Tonner, they had 70 Tonners and interesting Whitcomb 65 Tonners, which as far as I know have not been modeled in msts. In the last years (1960's) they used blue C&O Alco switchers. (W&OD was owned by C&O in it's last years)
    Christopher

Oh, yes, the diesels and anything else W&OD will be welcome. I just mentioned the era as a suggestion for the trolley paint scheme.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA

Edit: Whoops - the perrills of too many windows open. Put the reply on the wrong post . . .

I've posted some progress shots of the route on my website at http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/WODmstspix.html. I finished laying track in the spring and am putting in roads and scenery. I hope to have the route ready for beta testing around March 2014.
    Steve Dunham
    Alexandria, VA

Very nice, Steve. The W&OD was abandoned 1 year before I was born, but I was fascinated with it, looking at old topo maps, and I've bicycled and driven the route, trying to imagine what was there before. I am very much looking forward to experiencing it this way.
    Christopher

9. Default

Good start so far. I was just in Vienna for a wedding.
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

The screenshots are very nice. Looks like another great 30's interurban!

John DeLamater