Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Think of Run8 MP?

Default What Do You Think of Run8 MP?

Seems like the Comparison thread has run its course, so let's try a new one. I've said a lot here already about why I like MP in Run8. There is no AI to screw up, only thinking humans to decide how to run the trains and where and when they will meet or pass. That may be your best buddy in the train you're meeting, dimming his light and tooting his horn and then calling out the rollby from trackside to let you know that Freddy's working. Or your buddy may be the "voice" of the DS telling you you're going in the hole for two at Walong.

And as I've noted over and over, you don't even have to run or DS to have fun in MP. With foamer mode, the "scanner" chat, and teleporting ability, there's no reason to miss that train you want to see, or catch the meet at [wherever].

Yes, there's plenty to do for solo players in one of the pre-staged sessions, and you can always spawn a few trains, create your own sessions and trains, switch and everything else. But to me there is simply no rail sim experience comparable to Run8 MP. We already know what the people with "no interest in MP" have to say. What say those of you who have taken the plunge and given it a try?

I am one of those not interested in MP, but you are quite right. Using it in SP mode is very entertaining. I found controlling the engine quite difficult with the keyboard, but very easy with the Raildriver. Gives my poor old RD some new life. I am also not one of those interested in running A to B (especially sitting at sidings for any length of time waiting for someone or something else). I much prefer to sling cars around in a yard or do locals with short runs between locations, at my own pace on my own time, so SP mode is only thing that will work for me. Slinging cars with an ES44 is probably not very prototypical, so I look forward to the addition of other types of engines (a GP38 or SW1500 would be great).

I am certain it will not keep my interest very long as it is now, but I have already gotten my $40 of entertainment out of it so whatever happens next is gravy. Money well spent.
    Dave

The most involved I ever got with a train sim was the Cascade & North Western virtual railroad. Those guys did a hell of a job giving me a taste of what it's like to do this for a living.

When I bought Run8, I wasn't sure about the MP aspect. I was more interested in seeing how much harder it was to run trains with the more realistic physics. That and I've become a big fan of desert routes, especially Tehachapi. I decided to check out the MP in foamer mode to see how it worked and was impressed enough to actually try it out. I've done a few runs now and must say I'm hooked. Definitely a worthwhile challenging experience in the hogger mode. As goneon66 mentioned in another post, I've been so busy trying to operate prototypical and keeping track of messages that I haven't been the least bit bothered by the lack of eye candy. I had a dragging defect alert just before descending the hill the other night. I got so busy stopping the train that I missed the axle count. With help from others, I learned how to replay the message. I understand you can only replay it once and since it was a double track detector, both messages where played so a bit of a nuisance. I take it that's the way it is in real life? If so, gotta love this kind of attention to detail.

Ok I'll admit it... I caved and tried an MP session because I was curious more than anything else. It was ok I guess. It reminded me of the first days of Vatsim when it 1st made it's appearance maybe a little worse. Would I do it again? Nope.. The only way I would even think of trying it again is if they were using Team Speak.. Typing, as it was way back then, is crazy, especially when there's voice to be had. It takes away from the concentration of running the train (or plane) when you have to be constantly looking up to see if the message is for you. And if you think you missed a message from the dispatcher there's no way to scroll back to see if you did, not that I knew of anyway. That's ridiculous. There should be some sort of a chime when dispatcher calls you, that way you could at least ignore the rest of the babble going on. Again, it's different with voice. So nope, I'll stick with lone wolfing it and using AI, until they at least improve this thing a heck of a lot..

I dig it, could use some tweaking and better development in the radio system but it works. I have been in quite a few sessions and have not had but a few connection problems as of yet. One time I lost power at my house then couldn't re-join for some reason then one time it booted me but I re-joined and then spawned to the location nearest my train restarting it right where I left off. It provides a level of realism that can't be provided by artificial intelligence. AI cant dim there headlight. AI cant get on the ground and give an inspection of the passing train. To err is human is the best way to put it. Its not just pulling up to a stop signal and watching a train go by with a bright headlight or no headlight at a constant speed and sound. Your at the hands of your dispatcher and he is at the hands of how well people handle there train. AI only provides a perfect scenario in a perfect world, worst case scenario you could make your train wait at a stop signal a little longer and pretend something happened to the approaching train.

In Run 8 multi player everything is controlled by humans got a slow moving general merchandise train being eaten up by a hot shot Pig? Put him in the whole at the next available siding. Got a switcher doing work? have him clear up every time a train needs to get by. Artificial intelligence is just what it says, artificial.

Ok I'll admit it... I caved and tried an MP session because I was curious more than anything else. It was ok I guess. It reminded me of the first days of Vatsim when it 1st made it's appearance maybe a little worse. Would I do it again? Nope.. The only way I would even think of trying it again is if they were using Team Speak.. Typing, as it was way back then, is crazy, especially when there's voice to be had. It takes away from the concentration of running the train (or plane) when you have to be constantly looking up to see if the message is for you. And if you think you missed a message from the dispatcher there's no way to scroll back to see if you did, not that I knew of anyway. That's ridiculous. There should be some sort of a chime when dispatcher calls you, that way you could at least ignore the rest of the babble going on. Again, it's different with voice. So nope, I'll stick with lone wolfing it and using AI, until they at least improve this thing a heck of a lot..
    There are some people running sessions on team speak and seems to work out for them. The Tab button is what gets me I always leave it on or off and keep hitting the wrong buttons but you get used to after a bit.

If you miss a message he will "call" you again, following real RR rules. You consider a message not heard if incomplete or broken up. Also there is no tone in an engine when you are contacted by someone, they just dial in the closest tower to your train and broadcast from it.

I.E. Florence FA dispatcher calling CSXT Q678 18 over. Where on the other hand a train crew tones a dispatcher so he knows who it is by the tower that receives it.

Seems a lot of people think train crews and dispatchers are constantly talking to one another. Even in dark territory once you copy you mandatory directive that's it, you want here another word until he needs some track back or you need some more track.

The biggest down fall on the other hand can also be the people in your session. I have had good sessions with good dispatchers and a certain level of realism is achieved. That's not to say other sessions were bad. I have never been in one where people were acting foolish but some people just don't know enough to provide very realistic sessions but those are problems that can easily be remedied. I never go into a session and expect someone to be a pro.

The constant background chatter that we hear in train sims is just not the case here in Australia; crews do not have their radios acting as scanners - it would drive them bonkers if in a busy location and with continual, background chatter it is very possible to miss a message directed to your attention.

With "Selcall" facility, usually the only conversations heard are those between the crew and the despatcher/central control point.

Whether this is the case in the USA/Canada I don't know, but I think it would be a safe bet to say it would be so.

Bruce

Hi! Whiole I like the concept of MP, the Run8 version uses texting to communicate. This meothod interupts what i'm doing just to type. I much prefer TeamSpeak, where as yet there is only one site for this. Cheers; Chuck F.
    Cheers; Chuck F.

"the people keep coming but the train has gone"

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    The constant background chatter that we hear in train sims is just not the case here in Australia; crews do not have their radios acting as scanners - it would drive them bonkers if in a busy location and with continual, background chatter it is very possible to miss a message directed to your attention.

With "Selcall" facility, usually the only conversations heard are those between the crew and the despatcher/central control point.

Whether this is the case in the USA/Canada I don't know, but I think it would be a safe bet to say it would be so.

Bruce
    Here in the states we hear everything on that specific radio channel within range of the antenna on the locomotive. It does get annoying but when things get busy, we just change to another channel if we're switching or whatever.
    Orange Hoghead

Quote Originally Posted by BN_9402 View Post
    Here in the states we hear everything on that specific radio channel within range of the antenna on the locomotive. It does get annoying but when things get busy, we just change to another channel if we're switching or whatever.
    Yes, that's understandable now I think of it because the amount of radio traffic you have would be directly proportional to the amount of rail traffic. And you would have a lot more than we do, particularly in your more active locations. There can only be so many radio channels that are usable.

Bruce

Dang, Brad says no commission...oh well,...

From the Run8America forum, a satisfied user quoting a post I made:
    I said: "All I can say is it took my first MP session to turn me into a Run8 believer (though some in that other forum seem to consider me a Run8 evangelical 'pounding on their door' like a Jehovah's Witness!)."
    And the happy customer replied: "It was reading your posts on the 'other forum' that convinced me to purchase "Run8" and cannot thank you enough. As I am an ex Real World Engineer, I cannot believe how great Run8 is. I am so looking forward to using MP, once I have clocked up some hours learning this new sim. Many thanks."