Thread: Route Editor .REF file Error

Default Route Editor .REF file Error

When I start up the Route Editor I receive the following error:

Error reading editor object selection file
    <route name>.ref - line 16000

Using procedures I found in the Steam4Me website called "A Guide to Checking and Fixing an MSTS .REF file", I ran the ICHK
    procedure and the section for the ref file check came out clean:

"Ref-File 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Routes\<Route>\<Route>.ref' is loaded and checked!"

"File 'ttype.dat' of route 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Routes\<Route>' is loaded and checked!"

That means the .ref file is clean, but the RE error remains.

What else can I do?

Suggest you copy the line 16000 to this forum.

Have you recently modified the Ref file ?

Just a shot in the dark, but there may be a parenthesis missing between file entries. If the error just started, the culprit may be toward the end of the .ref listings.

Uncle E
    Whatever's cold in my fridge is the Official Beer of Open Rails.

I agree with Uncle E. By and large the standard for 'copy and paste' REF entries in Read Me's et al are

Static (
    Filename ( "xxx.s" )
    Class ( "Buidings" )
    Align ( NONE )
    Description ( "xxx" )
    )

But occasionally some REF.txt and Readme's have a ) up top as well or complete ref header up top as well, IE; [email protected]@@@@@@@@@JINX0r1t______ So you have to be very careful if using Select All or holding down Shift and the like to copy bodies for the REF. Should always start from the 's' in Static and end on the closing ) bracket. And paste directly beneath the last closing bracket in the Routes REF file.

You might want to try using the Ref file editor function in RouteRiter. It will fix minor errors.

I am only looking at "line 16000" . This seems like an awfully large number . There could be a possibility that the REF file being used, includes pretty much the entire MSTS universe ...

As suggested to the original poster, if you could copy and paste , this "line 16000" , in a reply to this thread, this would be easier to provide relevant help .

Jean Brisson Route Builder

Jean,

Problem is, what is the text of line 16000? The error gives the line, but not the text (ever tried to trace a line error in a .wag or .eng file? Sheesh, what a pain). I will agree, though, that "16000" is a pretty large number for a .ref file, unless you've stuffed (a "Sniper" Ward term) a lot of shape files in your route.

Uncle E
    Last edited by klsc85; 09-26-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Here is the last entry to my .REF file:

15994 )
    15995 Static (
    15996 Filename ( "CutBank_Elev1.s" )
    15997 Class ( "GN Objects" )
    15998 Align ( None )
    15999 Description ( "Cut Bank Elevator" )
    16000 )

I have done some other tests like I took a ref file from another route and beside the errors stating that shapes are missing, the last error is always the same, that is the last statement in the ref file:

Error reading editor object selection file
    <route name>.ref - line <last line>

This makes me believe that the problem is not a ref file problem but a problem somewhere else in the route. I am now going to make a ref file for two different routes that have exactly the same lines to see what happens. Will provide an update when I finish.

EUREKA

I have solved my problem.

I changed the REF file to the basic 4 inputs as follows:

[email protected]@@@@@@@@@JINX0r1t______

Dyntrack (
    FileName ( DYNTRACK )
    Class ( "Track Sections" )
    Align ( None )
    Description ( "Dynamic track piece" )
    )
    Platform (
    Class ( "Mainline Stations" )
    Description ( Platform )
    StoreMatrix ( )
    )
    Siding (
    Class ( "Mainline Stations" )
    Description ( Siding )
    StoreMatrix ( )
    )
    CarSpawner (
    Class ( "Vehicles" )
    Description ( "Car Spawner" )
    StoreMatrix ( )
    )

I used exactly the same REF file in two different routes. The second route worked with no problems, my route failed, so it had to be something related to a DAT file somewhere. Then I remembered that I had started working with the SSOURCE.dot file to add sounds into my route. I deleted the two entries I had made that were faulty. Bingo, it worked. so now everything is running as it should.

I need to learn more about the sound files so I can add sounds properly. It looked so easy, but it is a killer if not done right.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial call for help. I did everything suggested, then decided to try somethings on my own.

I hope this problem shows that you should always back up the file you are trying to edit. If I had, much of this could have been avoided.
    Last edited by rphilips; 09-27-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rphilips View Post
    I did everything suggested, then decided to try somethings on my own.
    Good for you! With MSTS, trial and error can occasionally produce a solution. And you're absolutely correct about backing up files -- I dare say we've all learned that the hard way.

Uncle E