Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MSTS and Windows 8

Question MSTS and Windows 8

Question for the community. Has anyone been able to succesfully run MSTS on Windows 8 with a PC that has an Onboard ATI Graphics Card? If you've been successful getting MSTS to run on Windows 8 would you please share how you got it to run with out giving the following error:

Microsoft Train Simulator v 1.4 has stopped working.

When I try to get MSTS to run on Windows 8 I get the above error even before the opening video that has the Microsoft Logo on it. I realize MSTS is 11 years old but I would still like to run it on Windows 8.

Here are my PC specs if someone can help

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series Graphics (onboard)
    4GB Ram
    320 GB Hard Drive
    MSTS is installed at C:\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\ on windows 7.

I have tried using trainstore but I still get the same error. If anyone has been able to successfully run MSTS on Windows 8 I ask you to please tell me how you did it so I can try your solution. Please PM me here on the forums with how you got MSTS to work with Windows 8 if you've been successful at getting it to run. I read on the UKTrainsim forum that one person managed to get it working with Windows 8. So I know it will work I just need to know if there is any workaround I can try to get it working. I've even tried updating TSECTION.DAT to build 44 and that didn't help either.

I have searched everywhere online for an answer and cannot find one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone can help me I would be really appreciative.

Thanks,
    Cooldude26848884

Here's some good and free advice: Format C:\ and proceed to install a real operating system. Windows 7 if you really feel you need something recent, otherwise go for XP.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic164208_1.gif

Chris, I have an evaluation copy of Windows 8 Build 8250.
    I have installed Train Simulator in it and it works fine.

My specs are:
    Lenovo R61e laptop
    Intel Core 2 duo Processor 2.20 gigahertz
    Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset (onboard Display adapter)
    2 gigabytes memory
    MSTS installed at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator.

I noticed when an icon was created for MSTS, the target was "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\train Simulator\launcher.exe" -rungame
    All my other MSTS icons were "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\train Simulator\train.exe" (Win 7)
    Mine works in Win 8 with either "launcher.exe -rungame" or "train.exe"
    The editor also opens and runs in Win 8. ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\train Simulator\train.exe" -toolset)

Hope this helps.

ArtM

I have also tested it and as far as I am concerned am not going to touch it for at least one year after it's release, if ever, even after having modified it to my liking !

Why do some always have to have the latest, crap or not !

O t t o

Last edited by OTTODAD; 12-26-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    I have also tested it and as far as I am concerned am not going to touch it for at least one year after it's release, if ever, even after having modified it to my liking !
    Why do some always have to have the latest, crap or not !
    O t t o

Some folks like the adventure of living on the bleeding edge (that's anything involved in testing a new OS) and some like being first at having anything. (bragging rights?)

Witness the long lines of idiots waiting to get the first crack at iphones they didn't even need?!. Sheep do that at the slaughterhouse.

But some DO get forced into it by a hardware purchase . . . Well, not actually forced but the upgrade is, ahem, 'free' and they opt in, . . . sometimes with disastrous results.

I'm with you Otto, preferring to let others suffer the pains of 'evaluating' an operating system unless M. B. Gate$ decides to pay me to do so.
    Oh wait! I guess the 'free' upgrade IS a payment . . . but sonmetimes it's painful. Hence this was why we in the business call it the 'Bleeding Edge'

edit add: Otto, what did you find problamatic with Win8?

Last edited by Vince; 09-27-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Someone has to bang their shins and lose a limb or two, to save the rest of us from the same trouble.... lol

Im not gonna complain!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Otto, what did you find problematic with Win8?
    To much to mention here and much has started with WIN-7 I am also not happy with, despite having modified it to do much the way I want to use it.

It still does not use all available cores of CPUs and is not using Parallel Processing when forinstance doing 2 simultaneous COPY/PASTE, multi-tasking instead, slowing each other down by 50% !

It's Files Manager is utter rubbish, having to click on 3 prompts before I can COPY and PASTE, overwriting existing whatever and am using the excellent OPUS one instead.

It has problems PASTING drives and folders overwriting the same amount of existing files, announcing that there is insufficient space on the HD for doing it, there in fact being lots of unused GBs of space and also seems to have problems with SSDs.

Deleting anything with the SHIFT key held down for instant deletion and not to go into the Recycle Bin it still takes a while do first count all files to be deleted. What for ? Just get on with deleting them like WIN-XP does.

Doing any search is a nightmare, searching for multiples files now needs OR instead of the semicolon ; !

Expanding a folder in the Explorer's column on the left the expanded Drive or Folder header shoots to the bottom of the lists and sometimes does the same when clicking on the headers of files columns on the right when forinstance changing their sort order.

Placing and selecting a drive or folder into it's FAVORITES is now a convoluted procedure and to use one of them have to go to the top of displayed drives and folders in the Explorer left-hand column.

There is a lot more which has been changed for the worse from WIN-XP and that's just using it for Train Simulators with no Internet available.

There is much in GOOGLE about what others are not happy with in WIN-7 and WIN-8.

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by Suzart View Post
    Chris, I have an evaluation copy of Windows 8 Build 8250.
    I have installed Train Simulator in it and it works fine.
    Thanks very much for replying to the original post with good information for MSTS users. I'm old enough to remember many of the exact same things being said about Windows 98, when XP was released: "never going to change", "why do you need something newer", "we don't want to change", etc. Everything in this world has a life cycle, including operating systems. I'd estimate 98% of the thousands of pc's at the university where I work are running Win7, with no problems, and there's a small group of XP machines kept on due to old software (16-bit stuff) and 5+year-old hardware compatibility issues. History shows that Microsoft gets it right with the second version of a major OS. That's their pattern, except maybe in the case of the forgettable Windows ME. And that's not surprising when you consider how big a project a new operating system is, to do right. I expect the same for Win8. Not on my Christmas wish list this year, but I bet I'll be running MSTS on it or its follow-on version in a year or two.
    Last edited by ftldave; 10-02-2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: add txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

the same problem arises to me any one please help

And what problem might that be?
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"