Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: MSTS and Windows 8

Good morning Christopher,

Have you run DXDIAG? It should give you a detailed report as to what is being used on your system.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

The cleanest way to deal with video card vs motherboard video is to disable the built-in in the BIOS, or at least to set it up so the motherboard video card is preferred. That's the hardware setup accessed at startup, outside of Windows. You might try disabling the Intel video in the Windows device manager as a test, but check the BIOS first to be sure all of the hardware is being properly recognized by the system or you might end up with no display at all.

If you have a good add-on video card, there is no need to have the motherboard video active if you only have one display (the normal situation). Of course, if you're feeding more than one display then you might still want to have both in which case some serious spelunking in the support documents may be needed to get it right.

Also, be sure your drivers are up to date. Video drivers change on an irregular but frequent schedule. But don't throw away the old ones - you might need to revert to an older version if MSTS (for instance) worked before but no longer does.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 10-21-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Hi Robert,
    Quote Originally Posted by rdamurphy View Post
    I haven't tested MSTS on Windows 10 yet.
    I have, and I think I've reported elsewhere! I'm sorry to say that the result, using AMD cards, is exactly the same as with win 8/8.1
    The good news is that NVIDIA cards still work OK

Cheers,
    Ged

Maybe a little off the post subject, but I am trying to install TS on Windows8.1. Have followed the steam4me tutorial, no problem. Starts out ok, but when I put the second disk in, it winds up and then runs erratically, meaning it sounds like it is oscillating back and forth. On clicking on the continue button, it does start copying the files, but at the rate of maybe one per 20-30 seconds. Disc looks ok, and as I said, first disc worked great. Is this something peculiar to W8, or dirty disc, or..............Appreciate any help. I'm afraid my cd drive is going to overheat with all the motion. Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by tukwilla View Post
    Maybe a little off the post subject, but I am trying to install TS on Windows8.1. Have followed the steam4me tutorial, no problem. Starts out ok, but when I put the second disk in, it winds up and then runs erratically, meaning it sounds like it is oscillating back and forth. On clicking on the continue button, it does start copying the files, but at the rate of maybe one per 20-30 seconds. Disc looks ok, and as I said, first disc worked great. Is this something peculiar to W8, or dirty disc, or..............Appreciate any help. I'm afraid my cd drive is going to overheat with all the motion. Tx.
    Clean the disk. Try copying both disk to same temp folder on HD and installing from there.
    Charles