Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At the Railyard looks at Run8 again

Default At the Railyard looks at Run8 again

Interesting. I think I might have to give this sim a try. How are the multiplayer sessions, realistic or a bunch of kids being kids?

From what I can tell the operating sessions are pretty realistic, even more so than I had ever seen for MSTS in previous years. The realism level is actually a bit daunting to me but if you're craving ultra-prototypical communications and operations I'm sure this will fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by NS185 View Post
    Interesting. I think I might have to give this sim a try. How are the multiplayer sessions, realistic or a bunch of kids being kids?
    They had some instances where people where operating trains inappropriately so they patched it so that you start out as a foamer unable to operate trains when you first enter a session.. Once the dispatcher promotes you to Train Driver, your good to go. Any type of bad behaviour and the dispatcher can demote you back to foamer mode. That took care of problem relatively easy and I think it worked out pretty good once people realized they couldn't get away with causing trouble.

Good amount of selection for servers out there with various styles depending on the host. You'll find what works best for you.

Thanks

Sean

Once the dispatcher promotes you to Train Driver...
    Posted these comments in the Run 8 Screen Shot forum, but FWIW I'm going to repost here...

Well... I was all set to be negative as I watched it... but actually, I was pleasantly surprised at the overall quality of Run 8.

One admittedly minor point: In the USA you RUN a locomotive... not DRIVE it. In Europe you DRIVE a locomotive, not RUN it.

Been in/around railroading over 40 years now (some of my early tutorage was by nearly-retired Old Heads that started on steam engines) and I've never heard a USA Engineer refer to it as "driving" a train. We "run" engines, locomotives, trains, etc.

Seeing as train enthusiasm has gone global with the advent of the internet, many of today's younger USA rail enthusiasts have embraced European nomenclature and it isn't correct nomenclature for the USA.

Yes, it's a minor point, but personally I would like to see history/traditions unique to USA railroading preserved and our traditions continued.

Be incorrect often enough and long enough, and the incorrect becomes accepted, thus the original is eventually lost.

Since the first update, giving session hosts ability to control designation of train crew vs foamer, there have been few if any problems. I have hosted and DS'ed almost a dozen MP sessions, and most runners prefer prototype practices, though I have accommodated a few others who enjoy running and may not know all the ins and outs of being totally realistic.

Anyone interested in Run8 should register at Run8America.com and read the forums. There is one interesting thread on how many members are current or former rail employees that should give you a pretty good idea of the type of folks in MP sessions. And yes, the Run8 team does not hesitate to enforce the forum TOS, which seems to have turned off some people who might otherwise have been more interested in the sim.

43 sessions for me and over 2 actual weeks of server time hosting since the end of August. Actually scaled back a bit lately from 48 to 40 hours a week. Nice to have a Wednesday to actually enjoy the afternoon as i was trying to fit into too many time zones.

Now I'm finding a little time to run a session here and there which is nice.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Coonskin View Post
    Posted these comments in the Run 8 Screen Shot forum, but FWIW I'm going to repost here...
    Same goes for Canada. hahahaha Isn't it interest that now '40 years' later Canadian RailRoads are immersed in the continental USA. I live in the NA Corporate Head Quarters City for CP Rail, and I find it very interesting ....