Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Train Simulator 2013 appropriate for a beginner?

Yabbut cavemen are usually a lot smarter than I am.

"chosen by the staff getting extremely drunk and playing a late night game of Twister"

That would certainly explain the surveyor interface. I've been using Raildriver;

http://raildriver.com/products/raildriver.php

since 2003, so I've forgotten what the keyboard commands for MSTS are, and I never did learn them for RW or Trainz.

I switched to Railworks when it first came out and am well pleased. As to being appropriate for beginners, my advice is to go ahead and get Railworks. It's learning curve is no different than any other sim and the graphics are much better. My experience has been that RW is stable and fun to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by ewsg View Post
    Hello,

I'm very interested in to start playing a train simulator. Do you think that Train Simulator 2013 (former Railworks) is a good choice, or Trainz Simulator 12, from NV3/Auran, is better/more easy?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Hello,

Unsure which country you live in, I guess it's the UK, Trainz has been on the go for 10 years, it has hundreds of routes from around the world, my favourites are the Eastern European, Poland, Romania, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, etc, etc, it all depends on what you want out of a train simulator, if it's a wide variety of routes from everywhere, China, Japan, Australia, America, then Trainz is the one to choose, Railworks only has a few German layouts, some American and a few British, but, for Japan, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc, zip, nothing.......

May I suggest you have a look at the TS2010 website, it isn't the most recent version, but it's the most stablest I play on, AND, I have Windows XP and it perfoms wonderfully well on it.

You also get the game on iPad, a proper Multiplayer function and a few other extras, oh, and don't forget Speedtree, you'll like that.....

http://www.ts2010.com/

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 10-11-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Thank you all.

And, ex-railwayman, I have already choose Trainz. Moreover, one friend gave me both Trainz 2012 and Train Simulator 2013 on Steam. But, I'll try Trainz 2012 first. Let's see what I can do.

Yep, the more games the merrier, I have MSTS, BVE, Zusi, Trainz and Railworks, they all provide something different for our enjoyment.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ewsg View Post
    Thank you all.

And, ex-railwayman, I have already choose Trainz. Moreover, one friend gave me both Trainz 2012 and Train Simulator 2013 on Steam. But, I'll try Trainz 2012 first. Let's see what I can do.
    I started with Trainz after trying two others train sims on a friends PC. I am really happy with Trainz and there are many free routes that you can download. I have TS12 and it runs very well on my PC, great frame rates.

Steve,

i notice you never mentioned any UK routes or add ons in your favourites in regards Trainz.

There are some stunning routes and locos, rolling stock etc, if your interests are other than the UK.

Which in my humble opinion is mostly crud, apart from Skipper's locos.

If you really want to have fun try run8. It does have a little learning curve but well worth it. You run trains online with other people in the other trains online. Never had so much fun. Totally awesome.
    sparkplug

Quote Originally Posted by kevhead View Post
    If you really want to have fun try run8. It does have a little learning curve but well worth it. You run trains online with other people in the other trains online. Never had so much fun. Totally awesome.
    Well, at the moment they only have 1 route available, if and when, they do some others, I'll have a look in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by neyland View Post
    Steve,

i notice you never mentioned any UK routes or add ons in your favourites in regards Trainz.

There are some stunning routes and locos, rolling stock etc, if your interests are other than the UK.

Which in my humble opinion is mostly crud, apart from Skipper's locos.
    Well, I wasn't sure where the guy was from Mike, so, as you get the ECML route as a default layout anyway in TS2009/10 and 2012, I didn't think it was worth mentioning. The Settle & Carlisle Payware route may have been a good suggestion, I suppose.

I enjoy the Russian and Polish routes and rolling stock the best, as it's fairly modern content and the Trainzers in those countries are constantly churning out new stuff every week, a lot of the other assets are getting very old now, and using TS2009 & TS2010 I got fed up with having to amend everything in my Content Manager before it got used and some of the textures are wonky and don't work very well nowadays, ho hum.

Cheerz. Steve.

Hi Steve,

yeah good points mate, i wasn't denigrating your post.

Just saying things are fine in TZ for anyone except UK enthusiasts.

S&C 2009 being the one exception, plus Skipper1945's excellent freeware locos.

Apart from those i find it very hard to be enthusiastic about UK content in TZ.

You are spot on about the Russian & Polish content, very good indeed.

If there were payware UK models of the quality of say the IHH RW models for Trainz.

I would go without food to buy them, Steve.

All the best,
    Mike.