Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Train Simulator 2013 appropriate for a beginner?

Default For what it's worth...

I might as well toss my hat into the ring! My trainsim collection includes MSTS, at least 2 versions of Trainz, and Trainsim.

I uninstalled MSTS early this year after realizing that I hadn't touched it in so long that I'd completely forgotten how to run it. I'm about to ditch Trainz as well, for reasons specified below. TS 2013 is my train sim of choice.

I'm sticking with TS 201x because RSC has now given me three free major revisions, whereas Trainz wants more money for each new version. RSC provides its official content through Steam, where add-ons can be easily bought and download automatically; independent add-ons and enhancements can be found all over the place and are also easy to install, especially when their creators use RSC's own packager. Trainz has a ridiculously complex add-on system that never, ever, ever worked for me; in addition, most of the add-ons I tried wound up having "missing dependencies" that I could never, ever, ever track down.

As far as playability goes, again TS gets my vote over Trainz. Of course, there's a learning curve with each, but I find TS easier to run overall, especially with the 2013 improvements in the interface (and I do not mean the addition of game controller operation, folks).

Finally, to my eye Trainz looks like a model railroading simulator (especially on its 2D map which is clearly grided in the form of sheets of plywood); many of its so-called realistic animation effects, especially loaders, are a joke, when they work at all, that is. TS, on the other hand, looks like a real-life railroad. I don't mean that it's a perfect reproduction: it is a train simulator, after all, not a train. TS 3013 has brought numerous graphic improvements and RSC is obviously aiming at continuous betterment.

As far as Run8 goes, I wouldn't touch it with a 40-foot railroad tie, partly because of its complexity, but primarily due to its makers' disgusting attitudes. Just to round out the options, I also bought a Subway Sim several years ago. After discovering that I couldn't even get a train to start after rereading the intensely complex directions multiple times, I uninstalled it and buried the box somewhere.

Best of luck and I hope you enjoy whatever you choose,

Tom Pallen

Hi,

So, ex-railwayman, I'm from Brazil.

Why do you asked? I'm asking this because I'm always unsure regarding the quality of my english.

But, now, I'm confused again. As you know, I have received both (Trains Simulator 2013 and Trainz 2012) as gift, on Steam, and don't know what to start first...hehehe

Flip a peso, heads railworks, tails trainz. The reason he asked was to get an idea of what you would like in a train simulator, Trainz has some routes and trainsets in various South American countries including Brazil. The original question was what was easiest for a beginner, which really depends on what is meant by "beginner" - for someone who has never played a train simulator but has good computer skills and experience with other types of modifiable simulators either one would be easier to learn. Either one is pretty easy when you're just running what is already built in, but once you start downloading and installing addon things, as Tom pointed out the Trainz download helper is a great idea that was poorly designed. I didn't have a LOT of trouble learning to overcome the many quirks of Trainz, but I have over 30 years of computer experience behind me. Most newcomers to Trainz find the process baffling and irritating for the first few months at least.

Quote Originally Posted by pallent View Post

As far as playability goes, again TS gets my vote over Trainz. Of course, there's a learning curve with each, but I find TS easier to run overall, especially with the 2013 improvements in the interface (and I do not mean the addition of game controller operation, folks).
    I got an Xbox controller on sale for $15. I think having the controller is a good idea, and cheaper than a RailDriver, for a beginner. If a beginner decides that a better controller is desireable, the RD is great, although it doesn't work everything for every locomotive. The Xbox, though simplified, does.

That's my 1 Philippine Peso's (2 cents) advice.

- Ted

The XBox controller is good for diesel and electric, not so useful for steam. I just took a GWR Hall down the Falmouth branch and every time I sounded the whistle (push down left stick) I was whacking the running gear into reverse as moving the same stick forward or back controls the cutoff so too easy to do this accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by ewsg View Post
    Hi,

So, ex-railwayman, I'm from Brazil.

Why do you asked? I'm asking this because I'm always unsure regarding the quality of my english.

But, now, I'm confused again. As you know, I have received both (Trains Simulator 2013 and Trainz 2012) as gift, on Steam, and don't know what to start first...hehehe
    We always like to know which country Train Simulator fans are from, it helps us to give you good advice, and we always appreciate that if English language is not your 1st language then we can help you with problems and enquiries. You write good English, it is better than my Brazilian Portuguese.

There is a Trainz forum in Brazil, you might like to register, I don't think it costs any money to do so.

http://trainzbrasil.forumeiros.com/login

There is also a forum and Facebook page for Railworks Brazil, you might find some useful information on their website.

http://railworksbrasil.forumeiros.com/forum

Enjoy playing all of your Train Simulator games, have fun.

Ciao. ex-railwayman.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Hi, I'm considering buying Train Simulator 2013 some time in the early new year. I already have a few things I'd like to buy for it (Class 142 Pacer and Settle-Carlisle) but I'm curious as to whether you can create your own route on Train Simulator 2013? I've googled it, but to no avail. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Mark Twain said the most fun he had in life was riding the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway in India. Trainz had this route available (it was made by amateurs as a long time project). It was the most fun I ever had just riding along a route doing nothing, no scenario. Any moment the cabview looked like you were going over the cliff and drop a half mile to perdition. Apparently that's the fun of taking the trip in real life: hairaisng!

I'm not sure if the Darjeeling runs on the latest versions of Trainsz. My memories are a few years ago when the route first came out, I bought Trainz just for that route!

Quote Originally Posted by JackClare View Post
    Hi, I'm considering buying Train Simulator 2013 some time in the early new year. I already have a few things I'd like to buy for it (Class 142 Pacer and Settle-Carlisle) but I'm curious as to whether you can create your own route on Train Simulator 2013? I've googled it, but to no avail. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
    Yes, you can. TS2013 comes with a built-in scenario and route editor. There are lots of so-called "assets" (3D models, sounds, effects) that are already provided with the game. You can also include more assets that are available from various places (including websites such as this one). I haven't tried the route editors in any of the other train simulators but other people have posted that in their opinion, this game's route editor is one of the easiest to use. It's the same route editor that RSC themselves use, as well as the 3rd party commercial route developers, so in theory (with some practice, patience, time, skill, artistry and imagination) you could strive at getting similar results in a route you create yourself. If it turned out well, you could even try to get it published.

Quote Originally Posted by JackClare View Post
    You get some pdf manuals in railsimulator Look at the "creator Manual" it gives a general overview of the route making process-enough to get you off to a good start,then you can google more specific topics,your search must have been too general as there are many tutorials that come up in a search.As the other post said it's agood route editor that comes with it,it's fun and with practice and perseverence some nice routes can be made.