Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware of Big Brother

Exclamation Beware of Big Brother

I tried to post a message on the Run8America.com forum with the following:

Being that the graphics in Run 8 look like a cross between MSTS and Trainz, is this a CPU or GPU dependent program?

It was censored to read:

Being that the graphics in Run 8 look like a cross between ThatOtherSim and ThatOtherSim, is this a CPU or GPU dependent program?

Rules are rules, but this is absurd.

Robert

I had that happen to me as well, but reference to others sims is not allowed. Its just the rules of that forum; take it or leave it. Cheers; Chuck F.
    Cheers; Chuck F.

"the people keep coming but the train has gone"

Quote Originally Posted by ForestHIllsRob View Post
    I tried to post a message on the Run8America.com forum with the following:

Being that the graphics in Run 8 look like a cross between MSTS and Trainz, is this a CPU or GPU dependent program?

It was censored to read:

Being that the graphics in Run 8 look like a cross between ThatOtherSim and ThatOtherSim, is this a CPU or GPU dependent program?

Rules are rules, but this is absurd.

Robert
    I think the whole intent is to prevent the outbreak of flame-wars that seem to arise no matter how well intended the post or question is. Just look at the preemptive warnings the moderators here post on the MSTS forum whenever something new is released.

Talk about overkill though on the censorship now a days. Then again this is a private forum and mods could run it however way they want. Which drives me to find other forums that are more open for discussion where you could engage in a dialogue instead of this preemptive "OR ELSE" or pictures of big shiny padlocks. What next pre-screened posts and threads similar to news forums and comment boards?

Don't let join date or post count fool ya I've been lurking on Train-sim forum since back in 2002 and I've never seen it get this bad. I think I've seriously reached my saturation point with all the and I think other more prominent and contributing community members have too.

This is supposed to be a fun hobby an outlet to destress and interact with others of the same interest share ideas etc.

Don't worry I won't let the door hit my ass on the way out!!

Try being a moderator, guys. It ain't fun, which is why I don't do it much anymore (and I don't do it here). Frankly, they do a pretty good job given the amount of traffic here.

Complaining about the mods is against the board's rules, too. Always has been.

Just to clear up that one point that seems to keep cropping up, moderators do not run this place however we want. We run it the way the webmaster wants it run, if you think we're being unfair or biased or failing to follow the webmaster's preferences, that's why there's a "Contact Us" https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/sendmessage.php link at the bottom of the home page. I would advise talking to Nels respectfully, this IS his own personal private club and we are all here by his invitation, and we all agreed to abide by his rules when we joined.

In fairness I haven't seen that many locked threads on here, maybe a few on the MSTS board but I don't tend to go there much. Apart from a few perfunctory posts I haven't really bothered much with the Run 8 official forum, in particular as not actually having used it much after the initial newness wore off there's not much to say - at least not in an atmosphere where naming other sims in a positive comparison is not permitted.

And in general terms the policies set at TS by the webmaster and monitored by the mods are far easier going than at UKTS (the U possibly standing for Uptight and the K for a mis-spelled something else ) which I walked away from a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    In fairness I haven't seen that many locked threads on here, maybe a few on the MSTS board but I don't tend to go there much. Apart from a few perfunctory posts I haven't really bothered much with the Run 8 official forum, in particular as not actually having used it much after the initial newness wore off there's not much to say - at least not in an atmosphere where naming other sims in a positive comparison is not permitted.

And in general terms the policies set at TS by the webmaster and monitored by the mods are far easier going than at UKTS (the U possibly standing for Uptight and the K for a mis-spelled something else ) which I walked away from a few months ago.
    Agreed. The moderators here are very liberal. The only locked threads are when flaming gets out-of-control, and people insult each other. When the fun stops, then the game should stop.

As for the Run 8 official forum, I'll continue to post there because the people are very helpful. I think censoring the name of the other sims is absurd, given that history is history. Each sim has it's pros and cons, and things that overlap, such as Run 8 looking like a cross between MSTS and Trainz.

I really don't see the need for moderators here. Might as well be a free for all. LOL. Seriously Though I'm glad they are a little easy on us as I have been a total jerk at times.
    sparkplug

I've also seemingly been "burnt" here. I just joined, and tried to ask what the sim can and can't do, in an effort to find out more, possibly with a thought towards purchasing the Run 8 sim. But for some readon, my post may have disappeared, and I can't even have my username recognised. I'm not a young man, and after a stroke a few yeas back, things are harder for me in many ways, and I thought I might purchase this Run 8 sim, but I may not now do this, and it's because I was treated in this manner. I'm NOT a troublemaker, or trying to be one, just a person trying to get infprmation on something. Now, this has put me off big-time, and they may have lost a genuine sale. I'm not a child, either, but a mature adult who may have made a genuine mistake !

Regards...

Jim McDermott
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    Last edited by dx5517; 11-23-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: checking reply status