Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surfliner 2 Signals

Default Surfliner 2 Signals

Okay, so I took a break and decided to do an activity for Surfliner 2. The issue is that after passing Pico Rivera from LAUPT to San Diego, the Activity Editor shows me getting stuck at a red signal. Running the activity results in the exact same issue. After a while the signal does clear up and I get another signal that is red shortly therefore after. I have the patch installed and am running Windows 7. Changing the path does nothing either. Picture below.

-2012-nov-9-001.jpg

There are no AI trains on my same path in either direction.

When designing an activity it's always best to only lay out AND TEST the player path ONLY before adding any AI traffic!

WHY?

Because both player and traffic paths are traced out by the Sim dispatcher for their full length when the activity starts!

This means an AI train on the other end of the route can and will interfere with the player.

Common wisdom says layout and test the player path first THEN add ONE AI train and test again.

You want an 'instant activity' with all its AI traffic will usually end up exactly where you are, asking why an activity that you designed is in the ditch and you without a clue as to where the problem is.

Really hard to diagnose such a problem isn't it?

As the Surfliner is a well designed and proven route with many activities that run very well it's the design of your activity that's causing the problem, not the route.

And that's something that can only be cured by the step by step approach, i.e., adding ONE AI traffic train at a time and fully testing after you add AI.

Only then will you know what is causing the problem with your activity design.

Plus you might just get more answers if you post activity question in the Activity Design Forum!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Vince; 11-09-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Pardon me for asking when I did exactly what you said to do. (In fact, it happens when there is no traffic at all, hence my posting.)

And you really think I would get more answers in the activity forum? (I though about it, but it is really dead lately and figured I would get more responses here.

The Surfliner 2 route is amazing, however there are some glitches (like I found a corrupted switch where MSTS freezes).

Quote Originally Posted by UPAmtrak1 View Post
    Pardon me for asking when I did exactly what you said to do. (In fact, it happens when there is no traffic at all, hence my posting.)

And you really think I would get more answers in the activity forum? (I though about it, but it is really dead lately and figured I would get more responses here.

The Surfliner 2 route is amazing, however there are some glitches (like I found a corrupted switch where MSTS freezes).
    As far as the corrupted switch, and there were a couple, there was a patch made for that.

Ya, I downloaded and installed the patch. It appears that other activities have had the same issue as well, pointing to a route problem.

I guess Vince has the right tack, on all this . You should design activities to fit the Route / not the other way around .

Now, if there were some errors / disfunctionalities with the Route itself, not unlike in real-life ( with derailments and so forth ) , you would have to be pro-active , and find out the proper "workaround" , for the situation .

The Activity Design section of the Forum, still would be the best place to get help / get questions answered , as others may already have figured such type of "workarounds" ( if ever necessary ) .

Best of luck with all this, as I also have long ways to go, into designing Activities .

Jean Brisson Route Builder

Oh?
    In your original post you said there was no AI traffic on the players path. However you did NOT say there was no AI Traffic at all . . .
    which is why I suggested running the players path alone with no AI traffic at all as a means of proving out the player path.

Please excuse me for being unable to know what you were thinking but did not state clearly in your call for help.

As to posting in the correct forum:
    SO you think it's perfectly okay to ignore forum rules for posting in the correct forum just because it suits you?

Additionally, if you knew about these so called 'corrupted switches' then why did you run your path players path through them?

And please, what has that freezing at certain switches got to do with signals being Red and magically changing to clear? That little glitch sounds like a typical AI timing problem to anyone who knows the Activity Editor.

Sorry for asking such inconvienient questions but I'm only trying to get to the heart of your problems with your activity.

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

In your original post you said there was no AI traffic on the players path. However you did NOT say there was no AI Traffic at all . . .
    which is why I suggested running the players path alone with no AI traffic at all as a means of proving out the player path.
    There was when I originally ran the activity, I took away the traffic to see if that was the problem. Which it was not.

As to posting in the correct forum:
    SO you think it's perfectly okay to ignore forum rules for posting in the correct forum just because it suits you?
    I could have posted in that forum yes, but this problem could of gone either way. And based on my observations this is a route problem because I'm not the only one.

Additionally, if you knew about these so called 'corrupted switches' then why did you run your path players path through them?

And please, what has that freezing at certain switches got to do with signals being Red and magically changing to clear? That little glitch sounds like a typical AI timing problem to anyone who knows the Activity Editor.
    I found it earlier and rerouted my path appropriately and tada, no problem, I was using this as a point the route is not perfect.

So, we've gone way off topic now. My main point, maybe it wasn't clear enough, was is there a known issue and a direct fix for it without a workaround in AE. Obviously I found my answer now, there are signal problems. I can now go to the activity forum and start a workaround for this.

I'm not trying to upset anyone, just looking for non AE solutions.

There was when I originally ran the activity, I took away the traffic to see if that was the problem. Which it was not. .........................snip..................... ................. My main point, maybe it wasn't clear enough, was is there a known issue and a direct fix for it without a workaround in AE. Obviously I found my answer now, there are signal problems. I can now go to the activity forum and start a workaround for this. I'm not trying to upset anyone, just looking for non AE solutions.
    No one on this end is upset I can assure you! We are only trying to help and must ask tough questions to help you with a solution.

So what you are saying is that without any AI traffic in your activity you come up on a Red signal and after an unspecified wait, the signal clears without any action on your part?

This is a facinating bug that I've never heard of in MSTS (signal clearing without any action by the player and no AI involved)

What is the wait time and the exact location of the signal?
    (While in the activity press the keyboard zero '0' to display the longitude and latitude.)

I've never waited around for the signal to clear, I've sat for about 30 minutes on red before giving the ghost. I will get the location later and tell you. Thanks.