Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Route Ideas

Wayzata, MN Mile Post 26.6 on BNSF Wayzata Sub

Default Route Ideas

I was thinking of some routes that I'm surprised havent been built yet for MSTS. Here are just a few.

Iowa Interstate RR
    FWWR/Dallas and Fort Worth Area- Head corders for BNSF
    UP Trans-con- Omaha, NE to Cheyenne, WY
    New River George route
    BNSF Seattle Sub from Portland to Seattle
    Midwest Routes like in Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, the Dakotas and Illinois

Just a few I have thought of and Im sure there are many more. If anyone else has ideas you may post them here! Yes I do know how hard route building is and how time consuming it also can be as I am doing the Midwest Mega Route that will have sections from Illinois all the way threw WI, Minnesota and parts of the Dakotas

Brandon

well my idea and hopefully project is making a fictional railroad depicting odd landscapes of the earth. though this requires alot of custom textures and models so I won't get to detailed yet.

There are at least three, maybe four Chicago area routes in the making - one for sure reaching into Wisconsin.
    The CP C&M Sub; the old C&NW Harvard Line (nowadays known as Metra's NW Line); BNSF's Racetrack from Chicago to Aurora, and the Galena Sub (UP/Metra).
    The first two are pretty established projects. The third, slowly under development, the fourth - unsure of status.
    So, at least northeastern Illinois has some hope!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Also the Chillicothe sub is in the works as well. (Chicago - Fort Madison)

Also, what would be nice to see is some enhancements to existing routes with more Mosaic, "sophisticated" track and scenery objects. The Cascade Route, Shuswap, Rogers Pass, and Marias Pass come to mind. Some have had no real publicly available modifications, or--if they have--the modifications themselves are several years old.

I'm continually astonished at the amazing amount of high-quality freeware scenery objects, etc. that have been released in just the last few years. I wish that I had the time to modify some of those routes. Unfortunately, I don't--and I'm a complete know-nothing when it comes to replacing track, etc. I would think that the payware vendors might jump onto this--I think a lot of people would pay for a high-quality updating of existing routes (I think SLI is starting to figure this out).

"Also the Chillicothe sub is in the works as well."

I am glad to hear that, thank you!
    Are you the route builder? If you want the routes track and/or roads mosaic'd when complete, give me a shout.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

I think a route that is worth it to model is the Southern Pacific - Western Pacific joint lines in Northern Nevada, from Winnemucca to Wells and Wendover. I'm already preparing this route, but it won't be very important to work on unless if I got the Feather Route Pack, just to allow me to use the best WP equipment for that route!

Would a Lincoln-Omaha route be good enough for the Burlington Route fan, or was that too short?

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    There are at least three, maybe four Chicago area routes in the making - one for sure reaching into Wisconsin.
    The CP C&M Sub; the old C&NW Harvard Line (nowadays known as Metra's NW Line); BNSF's Racetrack from Chicago to Aurora, and the Galena Sub (UP/Metra).
    Both the C&M and Harvard go into Wisconsin, and the Harvard is going to eventually hit Madison (it's already to Janesville).

The Adams Sub is in work as an offshoot from Packerland, and then there's Packerland, which is half Wisconsin & half Michigan...

I'd say Wisconsin is covered pretty well right now. It would go faster with a few more hands to do scenery and Mosaic work (hint, hint).

Wayzata, MN Mile Post 26.6 on BNSF Wayzata Sub

I feel the same way with My route Eric. The Twin Cities Route but I think I need a name change haha. I am slowly working on scenery now for my route and have the Mississippi River built from Minneapolis all the way down to La Crosse, WI The route would go alot faster if I had more hands to help me out with it as my route mostly covers Minnesota and Wisconsin. It is a huge route but it will be worth it in the end I think! I'm already having fun running the route in the areas I have already done scenery in. My main objective right now is to finish up yards and work on roads at the moment along with bridges, crossings, and smoothing out grades that I think are too steep on some lines.

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    The first two are pretty established projects. The third, slowly under development, the fourth - unsure of status.
    So, at least northeastern Illinois has some hope!

Well my BNSF racetrack route has been expanded to cover not just the 30 miles between Chicago & Aurora, but west to Galesburg where the route splits into 3 branches to cover the routes of the California Zephyr out to Mt Pleasant, IA; the Southwest Chief to La Plata; and the Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sandburg to Quincy,IL/West Quincy, MO.
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--