Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Route Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    "Also the Chillicothe sub is in the works as well."

I am glad to hear that, thank you!
    Are you the route builder? If you want the routes track and/or roads mosaic'd when complete, give me a shout.
    No I am not. You can check my visitor messages for more details on that.

Quote Originally Posted by UPAmtrak1 View Post
    Also the Chillicothe sub is in the works as well. (Chicago - Fort Madison)
    The ATSF Chillicothe Sub will be released Feb-Mar 2013.

Just so that everyone is clear, I'm just learning that Bob Wirth is doing the ATSF Chilicothe Sub. My route is NOT any competition to his since his is first and foremost ATSF era and mine is BNSF. Also mine is only including the ATSF main between Galesburg and La Plata. Lastly, since it is BNSF era, it does not model Chicago Dearborn station. I am only including a modern rendition of Chicago Union Station. I felt this post is necessary so that nobody gets any ideas that I am trying to out do or compete with bob in any way.
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--

Quote Originally Posted by scfe_fan View Post
    Just so that everyone is clear, I'm just learning that Bob Wirth is doing the ATSF Chilicothe Sub. My route is NOT any competition to his since his is first and foremost ATSF era and mine is BNSF. Also mine is only including the ATSF main between Galesburg and La Plata. Lastly, since it is BNSF era, it does not model Chicago Dearborn station. I am only including a modern rendition of Chicago Union Station. I felt this post is necessary so that nobody gets any ideas that I am trying to out do or compete with bob in any way.
    I plan to include the connector that went into Union Station. Amtrack used it when when the Southwest Chief ran on the ATSF maiin from Chicago Union Station to Galesburg via Chillicothe. Some folks requested I include this.

At Galesburg I have included the Cameron Connector wihich connects the Chillicothe Sub to the Mendota Sub.

My next project is to build the ATSF Marcelene Sub - Ft Madison to Kansas City which would duplicate some of your planned trackage
    between Ft Madison and La Plata.

Not trying to compete with you either - just trying to build the ATSF transcon while you are working on the BNSF.

Right now I have track from Ft Madison to Corwith - Scenery from Ft Madison to Willow Spring plus about 50 Chicago skyscrapers
    completed.

Great stuff, Bob and Josh.
    It will be nice to have both versions in the long run.
    Thanks to the both of you!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Wayzata, MN Mile Post 26.6 on BNSF Wayzata Sub

Has anyone ever thought of doing a map of ALL of the freeware and payware routes that are out there or being worked on to see how much of the US and Canada have been done? It would be interesting to see a comparison to a real map.

Brandon

A correctly done, and accurate, freeware, or payware version, of the Boston & Albany line, during the 1980's.

Or even the CPRail Crowsnest route.

Someone did the Marceline sub some years back. I have it and while it was not up to the quality of Bob's work on
    other AT&SF routes, it could probably be upgraded by one of you. I would not expect the originator to have a problem
    with that as long as he is footnoted as the orginator. This is what Lukas Lussar does when he combines some of my
    routes and I have no problem with him (or anyone else) using my routes as a base for improvement.

One route that I have just started, which has not been done, and which will be my back-burner route to work on
    when the creative juices get hung up on something else, is the Southern Railway (now NS) line from Old Fort, NC
    to Asheville, NC - it will actually start in Marion, NC. If I release it, and then someone wants to extend it east to
    Salisbury for example, I have no problem with that, I am just less interested in doing flat-land routes.

And I have all of Bob Wirth's routes. All very well done. My favorite to run is the old line from Williams Jct.
    to AshFork and on to rejoin the transcon west of Ash Fork. That line must have been a beast to run on in the
    good old days.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    Someone did the Marceline sub some years back. I have it and while it was not up to the quality of Bob's work on
    other AT&SF routes, it could probably be upgraded by one of you.
    J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)
    I believe there were two versions of the Marcelline sub for MSTS. The first was a route that focused on Kansas City and the numerous railroads that served the area. It included Wabash and ATSF tracks that ran NE to Carrolton, and were used in paired fashion I believe.
    The ATSF tracks ended east of Carollton but the Wabash line continued further east for some miles. The later version of the Marcelline sub was ATSFMAR which was in the file library here for some years. It included ATSF track east to Marcelline. I also still have that route, and may have the original one stored on a CD. I enjoyed running trains for several years on the original. You could run the Blue Bird, the Rockets, all of the Chiefs and numerous other trains as well.

John DeLamater

Quote Originally Posted by wwhall View Post
    Also, what would be nice to see is some enhancements to existing routes with more Mosaic, "sophisticated" track and scenery objects. The Cascade Route, Shuswap, Rogers Pass, and Marias Pass come to mind. Some have had no real publicly available modifications, or--if they have--the modifications themselves are several years old.

I'm continually astonished at the amazing amount of high-quality freeware scenery objects, etc. that have been released in just the last few years. I wish that I had the time to modify some of those routes. Unfortunately, I don't--and I'm a complete know-nothing when it comes to replacing track, etc. I would think that the payware vendors might jump onto this--I think a lot of people would pay for a high-quality updating of existing routes (I think SLI is starting to figure this out).
    Feedback : I guess I must have completely missed-out on this thread ( being too busy , Route Building, that is ... '-)

The one thing that is certain, is that , Yes, there is a surprisingly large number of different Routes, "under construction", as well as Upgrades / modifications , at any given time , although , what eventually makes it to the "Finish Line" ( you could say , the File Library, right here ), roughly bears the same statisitics, as new businesses being started :

In one word, 85 % of new businesses , being started, fail within their first five years . I think this number would seem about right, a far as MSTS Routes / the biggest challenge of all, seemingly being the usual "life getting in the way" , which takes away the required time, to complete a Route project .

In as far as route "upgrades " and modifications, if talking about payware... type of Routes, it all boils down to one thing ; securing outright , even before getting started..., a very clearly spelled-out permission, if not an outright 'contractual" one , from the payware vendor . The vendor has every (copy)right pertaining to their work, and they may have in mind, the need for them, to protect the "integrity" of their work , if an upgrade or modded Route, falls very short of their very own standards ( as this can potentially be damaging to their reputation ) .

As far as upgrades / modifications, of exisiting freeware Routes, the same would apply to a certain degree, although there is much more flexibility . Then again, one should get outright permission, from the original authors of such Routes, also, before ...getting started . And yes, sure enough , there are a few such "Route Upgrades" in progress currently, which are unquestionably headed our way , through the File Library .

The only true "green-over-green", is modifying default Routes , such as Marias Pass.

Just for that one , I am sure there just has to be at least ... 2 or 3 dozens "'versions" being worked on , all over the place, either for personal use, or potential hoping to offer those to everyone . But modifying / upgrading any such Route , you are set very-very-very far back, and my personal opinion, as a Route Builder, is that you are almost better off "starting from scratch" ( with any of those default Routes ) .

What we truly need , is more Route Builders, creating more truly original content , and, for the end users , greater ( positive ) support and encouragement , for those who are making such work , available to us all .

Perhaps ,also suggesting that "team" type of projects, would appear to be a much more manageable and realisitc approach, to building Routes ... and ... "delivering" them ...'-)

Jean Brisson Route Builder