Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CR 1984 Detroit to Toledo (Detroit Pool)

Default CR 1984 Detroit to Toledo (Detroit Pool)

Hi all. I am starting a new thread for three reasons. First, the other thread was getting long and since I had restarted creating my route I didn't want to mix the old with the new. Second, I wanted to change the title of the thread due to I will not be laying tracks from Detroit to Jackson, MI now as I want to finish the current route from Utica, MI to Toledo, Ohio by the time Run 8 releases their SDK. I am still not completely sure if I will create using that sim for the same reason I stopped creating my first route in MSTS, the editing tools. To me RW has by far the easiest tools to use and that's what I need for such heavily industrialized areas as Detroit and Toledo. Also, stability, RW has been very stable from their earlier days. Three, though to date there are no AI trains, if I had been reading correctly, my route may be to complicated for them anyways. Since I don't have all the tracks in I obviously have no signals on the route to know for sure how difficult scenerio writing will be so this route may be best suited for MP anyways as things are now. I will still complete the areas I have in now for RW users as there is still much operational and sceniced areas and even a tunnel. So my plan is to have this released by next summer and as it stands right now, for free but subject to change.
    My first set of pics should be either tonight or tomorrow of the Shop area and the east end (Hump end) of the Westbound Class. Oh yes, I have to do more reading on whether or not you can "hump" cars in Run 8. If so, as this is a North American route, it's pretty much a no brainer to create a route using Run 8. Again, depending on how stable the SDK is. Also, this thread is for RW creation of my route so please, I will not tolerate opinions about any other sim. Thank you.

You've got at least one "like"

Seriously. the track laying is impressive. A lot of work has clearly gone into it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
    You've got at least one "like"

Seriously. the track laying is impressive. A lot of work has clearly gone into it.
    Thank you Mike. I was hoping the video would put in to "perspective" how huge it is. lol After this yard and the industries associated with it, all I'll have left is the Michigan Central Depot tracks, Conrail's Windsor, Ontario yard, the Marsh Running track, east end of NS Oakwood yard, Alexis interlocking in Toledo, the north end of C&O's Walbridge Yard and Conrail's Stanley Yard to put in. Then it's off to strictly scenery. Sounds like a lot of track work left but overall it won't be to bad. Junction/Livernois is just difficult with the way it's set up with it being on at least three different grades and one with three entrances/exits. Oh yes, and a roundhouse with three leads going to it. I will have to "tweak" some grades on certain tracks. Just the nature of the beast. lol Once I can get a few "generic" textures created then scenery should go at a decent pace. The trackwork in my '97 version will be far less "impressive" due to all the track reduction from '84 to '97. It's mind boggling! As a matter of fact everyone thought West Detroit would be the last tower standing but since '84 it was the second one closed and went from eight tracks running on each side of the tower to five. The closing of the Cadillac plant, trains no longer running through to Canada from the west on Conrail and being the highest paid tower in Detroit on Conrail was its demise.
    Last edited by crdetroit; 11-29-2012 at 11:14 AM.

I just thought that I'd share how much "work" I put into creating my route. The Conrail and GTW Timetables were given to me from my dad while he was working. The C&O and CSX were bought at train shows. I recommend anyone with a few extra bucks to purchase The Lake Cities by the late Walter M. Berko Toledo to Detroit and Detroit to Jackson, MI as he covers more than half the route except the Mackinaw Branch on an Amtrak which goes from the Central Union Station ("CUT") in Toledo, Ohio to the Michigan Central Depot in Detroit. Then the train leaves Detroit backwards (before push-pull service) around the Bay City Junction Wye and continues west past West Detroit and Junction/Livernois yard. The train goes by the huge West Detroit interlocking both heading to Detroit and again heading to Jackson, MI then on to Chicago, IL. This service has long been discontinued from Toledo, OH to Detroit but is still in service from Pontiac, MI to Chicago. The train also goes by the huge Cadillac Clark Street plant. Anyways, I hope everyone enjoys my pic. I am still working on the Shop area and the "hump" end of the Westbound Class. Take care all.

That monitor looks a bit on the small side and hope it is not going to ruin your eyes, doing a lot of delicate work in the World editor !

My 19" HP monitor is 24" in front of my eyes, said to be the best distance for looking at what is displayed on it !

The resolution used is also important. Too high and you will have to screw up your eyes to see the too small text in the TS-2013 editor side panels, now smaller than it has been in earlier Railworks versions !

O t t o

Hi James,
    Glad to see your still at it, but this must be hard on you. Update pics look great, look forward to more. Take care of yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by krellnut View Post
    Hi James,
    Glad to see your still at it, but this must be hard on you. Update pics look great, look forward to more. Take care of yourself and your family.
    Thank you Walter. It is to a degree. I can't wait until it's finished. It's only an 80 mile route but there's enough tracks for a four hundred mile route. lol This yard is huge and this is the busiest time of the year for me as I have four sort of young kids whose birthdays are from October 24th to December 1st, Halloween, Thanksgiving and finally Christmas. Though I try to work on the route on those days I still make time for my family as well. This yard is just the most difficult with all it's multiple grades and entrances/exits. But this is my passion and if I want to run on this route then I will have to be the one to get it done. Like Otto said, the small screen doesn't help my back. That's why I'm taking a break. I'll probably get back to it later today.

FAB, James !

How about releasing a beta for tracks fanatics like me ?

O t t o

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    FAB, James !

How about releasing a beta for tracks fanatics like me ?

O t t o
    Thank you Otto. Now, let's hope that I succeed with the scenery as well. You can "tinker" with my old route like you had before. Like it needs more tracks. lol The funny part was, almost all the tracks you added at Ecorse Junction were actually added due to Conrail being split up. lol Also, those grades at Livernois/Junction Yard that you've mentioned before have been made more smooth. I only have a grade chart for about half the yard and I was less experienced then. The South Receiving does have a steep grade (as I recalled from working that part of the yard in real life ) but this time it's shorter. Still steep but not as far. I've also leveled the Buursma Trucking lead so it's not a "roller coaster". Other than that area of the yard, I have grade charts for everywhere else. Anyways, sorry no beta's yet. I will need "modelers" soon though if anyone's interested. Especially in the freight cars and engine area. I should be starting hard on the scenery sometime in January. I already have several models started. I just have to finish them.

Woops ! :-)