Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying Run8 but is it worth it?

Default Thinking of buying Run8 but is it worth it?

Im 13 and dont get me wrong I take simulators serious. But my question is, is it worth the $40.00 USD?

Quote Originally Posted by ns6676 View Post
    I'm 13 and don't get me wrong I take simulators serious. But my question is, is it worth the $40.00 USD?
    You could most likely get several differences of opinion, all based on personal (i.e., subjective) likes and dislikes.

For $40 you get one (arid landscape) route and a reputedly highly-accurate simulation of operating a diesel-hauled train. And that's just as a solo player.
    If you are into multiplayer then you will enjoy interaction with a dispatcher who will be calling the shots and you will see and interact with other trains.

Only YOU can make the decsision as to whether spending your allowance on the purchase is worthwhile.

Bruce

Well... That all depends on what you're looking for..

The sim itself, has some problems, as do all sims it doesn't matter what they are. But basically it runs pretty well with not a lot of problems..

If you like running on line in multiplayer, then this is the one for you.
    If you want fairly accurate physics, again, yes this ones pretty good. Not perfect but the best so far.
    If you like scenery, then no... It has basically MSTS 2002 style scenery set in a desert environment.
    If you like a variety of routes, then no... There is only one route (so far) and it's basically A to B running. with not an awful lot of line side (en route ) industries to work.
    If you like a variety of rolling stock, then no... What there is is pretty limited and lacks prototypical road names in many cases.
    If you like a variety of motive power, then no.. Only one type in a couple different paint schemes (road names) although reportedly more on the way.
    If you like to develop your own routes, design or reskin motive power or rolling stock. This one is definitely not for you. No editor at all. There's supposed to one coming out sometime mid to late 2013 I believe.

To answer your question. In my opinion, and it's only mine!..... No, wait for a while. This sim shows a lot of promise, but it's got a ways to go yet.. Others will tell you differently, and that's their opinion, which they're entitled to, as I am to mine..

I agree with most of the above except I think the graphics are better than 2002, but not yet as sharp as the best out there. The sunrise/sunset and fog effects are pretty cool, etc.

If the above meets your needs, I'd go for it because it will only get better. But if not perhaps waiting may be right for you. Again personal preference.

Thanks

Sean

Remember that above all, Run 8 is a SIMULATOR. Not a game. It's not really a "get in and drive" game like MSTS or Railworks. The focus is on real railroad procedures and physics handling, so it may be challenging in that regard unless you're familiar with that. There is included documentation but I'd imagine that it could be daunting if the terminology and principles are new to you.

They are all simulators in one way or another. Personally Railworks would be your better choice, mainly because MSTS is rare to come by from what I see/hear.

You could also try Trainz, except that every year or two Auran releases a new version which creates compatibility issues with previous versions. I haven't ran Trainz in a while but from what I hear older stuff can be made compatible with the current stuff, just takes some work.

I also have heard that Railworks physics are absolutely awful, if that matters to you.

I'll be honest what I get is a little tired of some Run8 people claiming Run8 is a "simulator" and everything else is just a game. What makes it a "simulator" ? The fact that is has multi-player capabilities? No, I'm sorry but because you can pull into the 'hole' and watch another train go by does not make it a simulator. In fact I can pull into the hole in RW or MSTS also and watch a train got by. No it's not being run by another player... So what? Is it that you have dispatchers? Ok, but I just got through running a 2 hour session in VORA last night in RW on line with dispatchers, issuing track authorities and extensions, along with 6 other trains running different directions. Could I see them? No, so it's not as pretty. But I knew where they were, and I knew if and when they were passing me. It's the operation that counts. Is it that you have to go through an engine start up procedure? Ok, but RW now has an engine were you have to go through a start up procedure. Now where Run8 admittedly is better is in it's running and handling of DPUs. And reportedly it's physics. Now I'll be honest I haven't had the opportunity to operate real world train for any length of time. So I ( along with 95% of the train simulator owners) don't really have a good idea of what the physics should be like. I can only go by what other people tell me. I've had a few people tell me that Run8 physics really aren't that good. So take your pick.
    Look I'm not knocking Run8. Like I said above it's pretty good, it has promise, but it's going to take a bit of time. But it's not the cats behind that some people would have you believe. What it boils down to is, is one train simulator/game more of a simulator than the other? No, not really, each have their pluses and minuses. It all comes down to what each individual prefers and expects so they enjoy it.. And that's what counts.
    Last edited by Steamman; 12-11-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Again it's preference as you've stated. For many the rest are more like games then simulators. But as my GF pointed out and I really didn't want to admit they are all games too (including Run8). If it was a true simulator you wouldn't be running it on your pc, and having a rail driver which represents a different model then those being simulated would not be valid.

Everything has their strengths and weaknesses. For all we know this original poster has other simulators. But now as usual it's branching off into who simulator is better, blah blah, puke, as usual. I like it when people can compare it to other simulators like I did and said the graphics are not as crisp as the best out there. In fact professional simulators don't compare to the best graphics out there.

His question was is it worth $40.00? I say yes, others will say no as everyone is entitled to their opinion. As for the engineers who I have chatted with in my sessions they do say the physics are very close to the real thing, and the best on the market.

So let me expand to the original question why is it worth $40? As mentioned you get 1 route in an area that is half desert and half mountains. You will find the program does take a fairly updated computer and you'll see why when you run it. Frame rates can lock in, and you can have a fully populated yard with currently about a dozen different models in I believe about 30 or so different unique units (but enough variety to get you going).

The yards at Bakersfield are prototypical length and number of tracks. You can bring in these cars over time, continue to save them both as an entire world (I think mine right now hovers around 2000 units depending on how many trains are on the mainline), or individually. Running through these yards does not create any added stress on your system. So instead of what some have done in others by posting up scenery objects to represent active yard tracks, you get to both see and use all of it. I believe the difference from what I can tell is the way it handles LOD's better then say the original MSTS (I can't speak for the others).

So you have pre-made trains you can spawn in and run, or you can build new trains. You can add and remove more units to your world by bringing in more trains, or deleting trains. In other words what is coming in to your area from beyond the borders or what is leaving (similar to staging).

There are no AI or editors. The editors are about a year away. As for the AI though it's not officially been said, I wouldn't be surprised to see it (just my personal opinion). The reason I say that is there is already an add on program supported called the External Dispatcher. It has really enhanced the dispatching from the original version and is widely used and supported by the team. Inside the E.D. there is a simulator program. Now this keep in mind is totally a program for the E.D. and though it doesn't simulate the characteristics one would expect from AI, it does a pretty good job at obeying speed limits and signals.

But what is of course in is the MP. Now I ran an MP for MSTS years ago and used TeamSpeak. OK so you get to know others are out there and hold for trains, and communicate and call signals. Often you called signals that weren't actually the signals you see because of course it didn't have the capability. In Run8 you not only see the trains, the people that run them (avatars) if they are a 1 or 2 man crew you see where there current perspective is. But here for me is what makes it work for me. If I'm in a yard making up a train and he leaves, I see him leave, I can even restore his switches. I can take a cut of cars he left, break them down. In fact many yards I operate with 2 switchers. So now your not just using your imagination to pretend the train is there, you actually see and can interact with those trains. If your a 2 man crew, you can ride in the conductor's seat, open up the door, ride the rolling stock. It's totally interactive.

You can set a skill level too to actually pay for mistakes. If your in the beginner mode you will be told when you would of broke a coupler but can continue on, but if your in the hogger then you have to go out and replace it. It's more than just wheel slip you have to take your time especially on heavier trains. Of course then there are the defect detectors. These are not just recordings when you go by they are actual detectors that will count your cars, tell you the ambient temperature, and if there are any defect(s). If there are defects you have to get out of you engine and walk the train, going to the car specified by the defective axle. Now of course fixing it is just a matter of clicking on the car and say repair. You can also set out defective cars you decide you can't fix such as hot boxes.

Finally I'll mention the environment. It all starts with the real world stars, planets, moon, and sun positions. In fact not only does the sun play into lighting but so does the phase of the moon and if it is out at night. At the moment shadows and actual precipitation are not present. However there are some other interesting weather effects that do take place. Wind for example is simulated, and you will hear this as you move faster on your train, and see it in where the smoke heads off. There are some very nice sunrise and sunset effects. Overcast is simulated, however individual cloud layers are not in. All of the weather by the way is a goal down the road. But here is what I find to be the neat one and that is visibility. At this time of year fog is very common in these areas due to the very cold nights and still relatively warm days. Though much depends on relative humidity and other factors which historical data simulates depending on the time and day of your simulation. Running in a heave fog can be challenging, and the weather in Bakersfield can be totally different in Barstow. In fact often I find places like Rowen may have isolated fog, and not too far away clear skies.

So I hope that gives you an idea of what your $40.00 will bring. Basic developers kit is being advertised right now as a free upgrade about a year away. Other routes are in development now. Other types of engines (currently only 1 in 5 paint schemes) are also in development. Program is continuously updated with more improvements. Yes for me it's worth it.

Again what you value is up to you to decide. Others will not value what I value as high, likewise I may not value certain things as high as they might. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Steamman View Post
    I'll be honest what I get is a little tired of some Run8 people claiming Run8 is a "simulator" and everything else is just a game. What makes it a "simulator" ? The fact that is has multi-player capabilities? No, I'm sorry but because you can pull into the 'hole' and watch another train go by does not make it a simulator. In fact I can pull into the hole in RW or MSTS also and watch a train got by. No it's not being run by another player... So what? Is it that you have dispatchers? Ok, but I just got through running a 2 hour session in VORA last night in RW on line with dispatchers, issuing track authorities and extensions, along with 6 other trains running different directions. Could I see them? No, so it's not as pretty. But I knew where they were, and I knew if and when they were passing me. It's the operation that counts. Is it that you have to go through an engine start up procedure? Ok, but RW now has an engine were you have to go through a start up procedure. Now where Run8 admittedly is better is in it's running and handling of DPUs. And reportedly it's physics. Now I'll be honest I haven't had the opportunity to operate real world train for any length of time. So I ( along with 95% of the train simulator owners) don't really have a good idea of what the physics should be like. I can only go by what other people tell me. I've had a few people tell me that Run8 physics really aren't that good. So take your pick.
    Look I'm not knocking Run8. Like I said above it's pretty good, it has promise, but it's going to take a bit of time. But it's not the cats behind that some people would have you believe. What it boils down to is, is one train simulator/game more of a simulator than the other? No, not really, each have their pluses and minuses. It all comes down to what each individual prefers and expects so they enjoy it.. And that's what counts.
    here is what makes run8 a simulator. yesterday i was at hinkley re-configuring my dpu's from a 5x4 configuration to a 3x4x2 configuration. the dispatcher verbally gives me permission to take both east and west hinkley into the "hand" position and i get assigned a conductor who bends the switches, opens knuckles, and verbally gives me car counts to make joints.

later, i was reconfiguring another train at barstow with the dispatcher (who is a real csx railroader) giving me verbal authority past red stop signals and bending the switches for me while safely routing trains by me into the yard.

oh, and all of this was done while setting up and operating dpu's just like in the real world.

these were the exact same moves i permformed when i was a dispatcher and conductor/engineer.

so, to answer the question, run8 is worth the $40 IF you want to simulate real railroad operations. the tehachapi route is very realistic to run on and the scenery is good. more eye candy (scenery), routes, and motive power are on the way.

let's not kid ourselves, run8 is a railroad simulator and a very good one.........

Last edited by goneon66; 12-11-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling