Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATS Trackside Inductor shape?

Default ATS Trackside Inductor shape?

Has anyone created an Automatic Train Stop (ATS) Inductor shape for MSTS? Couldn't find any in the file library.

An ATS inductor looks like this:

I have the old Facing Point Surfliner route which has one, but it is really lacking in detail. Here's what it looks like...(a silver blob):

I'm currently working on making my version of SLI's Seligman Sub more prototypical, so I'd like to add the 90mph sections and need an ATS inductor to simulate these ATS sections.

If none have been made, I suppose I can find my old copy of TSM and build one. Just hope TSM works on my new computer. It helps that I have plans for the inductor.
    Matt
    Click Here for photos of my train layouts

Matt, it's on my list of items for the CNW-Harvard, which also uses ATS. The CNW inductors were black, but it is be easy enough to do a silver one for the ATSF.

It is set up as a "track animation" piece i.e. the axis point is set so you can copy the XYZQ of a track section, and it would be appropriately set to appear outside the rails.

It doesn't have the wiring or bolts like the photo has, but if you're going 90, you won't have time to notice...

It was a 30 minute project in Sketchup, including the time to load into the sim and take some screenshots...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by eolesen; 05-19-2016 at 08:05 PM.

Really nice job on the inductor. Looks great. Wish I rechecked this thread earlier.

For a quick weekend project I started on one based on ATSF drawings. It's pretty simple now with all silver texture and no polygon smoothing yet:

I'm very intrigued on the "track animation" part so it works with track alignment. It took forever just to place a few for testing purposes on the Seligman sub:

Last edited by SouthwestChief; 12-02-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    Matt

Yours looks pretty good.

For it to be accurate... you need to place it over the ties. The shoe for the locomotive (or cab car in the case of the CNW) is physically attached underneath the truck's axle bearing, so it would never be further offset than the end of the ties. On this F40PH-2, it's located on the rear axle of the front truck:

And you can see that it doesn't fall outside the edge of the carbody (which is 5ft from the centerline):

Ties are typically 8ft or so, so if you set it at the edge of the tie, it should be as close to prototype as we can get in the sim...

As for the track animation... this works great for items for which the child object's location will always be tied to a parent object; in this case, the track centerline.

When building it, set the axis of object to be 4 ft offset from the track centerline:

Then "all" you have to do is go into the world file, and copy over the position and QDirection lines from the applicable track piece you're trying to align it to. Quite simple.

I've used this to create rail joints, switch machines, fire hydrants, light poles, line poles, and other items which would be more commonly done as gantry objects 5-10 years ago.

I also use it for bridge construction -- having separate objects for girders, trestle supports, bridge piers, walkways, etc. which I then copy the XYZQ from track sections for perfect alignment.
    Last edited by eolesen; 12-02-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Those look great. I think they would mount on longer then standard ties, similar to how switch stands do.

think they would mount on longer then standard ties, similar to how switch stands do.
    Why longer ties? As when eolesen posted:

".............The shoe for the locomotive (or cab car in the case of the CNW) is physically attached underneath the truck's axle bearing, so it would never be further offset than the end of the ties........"

eolesen posted regarding aligning the object to the track:
    Then "all" you have to do is go into the world file, and copy over the position and QDirection lines from the applicable track piece you're trying to align it to.
    Am I missing something or isn't AlignU.exe (in the file library) the way to do simple alignments like this. Beats futzing around in the world files I'd say.

I'd think that any time you are copying/pasting/manual editing/whatever in the routes database files you are introducing more chances of error.

Why would you do that when there is a program that does it for you?
    Last edited by Vince; 12-02-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

Why longer ties? As when eolesen posted:
    Because I recall the ATSF ones being on longer ties. The centerline of the control was about where a normal length tie ended.
    And even a blind man can see they are longer Not that we need to be that technical for the sim
    atsf.jpg
    Last edited by hiball 3985; 12-02-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added pix

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

Am I missing something or isn't AlignU.exe (in the file library) the way to do simple alignments like this. Beats futzing around in the world files I'd say.

I'd think that any time you are copying/pasting/manual editing/whatever in the routes database files you are introducing more chances of error.

Why would you do that when there is a program that does it for you?
    Maybe I'm mistaken, Vince, but AlignU only copies over the QDirection as far as I can tell. It doesn't appear to copy the XYZ.

Also, to use AlignU, you'd have to select the track piece, and this is being on a route with interactives... and selecting a track piece carries along its own dangers.

According to my Santa Fe plans, the ATS inductor was placed 22 1/4" from the back of the rail (+ or - 1/4"). I was just messing around in the route editor when I placed the test versions for the photo. They look too far from the rail to me.

And it looks like present day versions have a single junction box in the ground versus the two round top style my old Santa Fe plans show.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Maybe I'm mistaken, Vince, but AlignU only copies over the QDirection as far as I can tell. It doesn't appear to copy the XYZ.
    Also, to use AlignU, you'd have to select the track piece, and this is being on a route with interactives... and selecting a track piece carries along its own dangers.

Correct. Only the QDirection is copied from the Reference Object. But why would you need the XYZ?
    You're in the RE and you just placed the object . . .the XYZ is where you positioned the object, No?

Selecting Track with interactives for AlignU Capture Reference carries absolutely no dangers at all!
    Routes with with or without interactives are not an issue here because you never save after selecting track.

Reference Object capture is NEVER followed by a save!

The drill is Select reference, Push capture reference button, De-select reference, Push Align button, Reload the route, Press Jump button and you're back to the location you were editing. The object you aligned just needs to be slid into position.
    No messing with any world files.

All that being said, there IS on way you can mess up. I know...I've done it.

After capturing a reference object you are SUPPOSED to de-select it. IF you dont and IF the reference is track AND you exit the RE ....WITH the track selected you WILL clobber the TDB which becomes apparent IMMEDIATLY when you reload the route and get a very scary message.

Completely recoverable when you restore the Editor Auto backup TDB and world file.
    Note to self . . . DONT exit with objects selected!!!

Enjoy!

Last edited by Vince; 12-02-2012 at 11:05 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"