Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: MRL Mullan Pass Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    You may have to repost some or all of your images, Sean, since Phoshmucket has changed their rules.
    Yeah, I saw that a few weeks ago, I just have not gotten around to moving to a new photo sharing website that still allows embedding photos.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS

That sounds wonderful! Thank you very much.
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! This morning is probably as good a chance as I will get to show what has been in the works lately! This is also my first attempt at embedding photos from Flickr, so hopefully this works. This week off from school has meant probably 8 to 10 hours per day every day on Mullan, so a lot of progress on the 3D modeling side of things.

First up: This is actually from months ago (thus the area around this structure is more built up now) but this screenshot is to show a characteristic building of Missoula, the Ceretana Feeds elevator at the wye where the Bitterroot Branch peels off from the main.

Here's one to show some texturing (using Goku's RE), which has allowed some great rock textures all over the route!

The intent of these next two is to show a fun side project I was working on earlier this week: SD9's! Repaints of the freeware CLW model, so I will likely make a freeware release of these once the route is out. (Still need strobe lights, and a couple other details)

Next, some shots of one of the most complex industries I have had to build, the Ash Grove cement plant. This plant was made from a whole lot of photo texturing thanks to photos I got from a visit to the real plant. This is still "in progress" but probably about 95% complete. I believe I just need some more terrain details plus a conveyor to/from the coal piles.

And I had thought I had some photos of the Conoco facility in Missoula, but those will have to wait till later, because it's time to socialize with the family. Hope everyone has a good day today!
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS

Looking great. Do you have an ETA yet on the release of the route?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

That's some amazing looking work there Sean. Good stuff!
    Cheers!
    Pete

That cement plant is through the roof!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Austin,
    I am intentionally holding back a release date for the route, so all I can say is "soon". Work on the route itself is probably around 98% complete at this point, but there are still a few hurdles to overcome with the locomotives and rolling stock, making some activities once that locos and rolling stock are set in stone, writing up some documentation, etc.

Thanks again to everyone following this project as we near the end!
    Here are a few shots to show what I have worked on over the past few days. I have been creating a number of different animals using pictures of my own, and I am very happy with the results so far! I have also taken the time to search out a variety of high quality public domain nature sounds, including the sounds of many birds native to the area, elk whines, distant coyote and wolf howls, frogs, crickets, etc. etc. One really useful source was the US Fish and Wildlife Service, see this link for some great sound clips:
    https://www.fws.gov/video/sound.htm

Now without further ado, some pictures!
    1. An impressive-sized bull elk keeps watch on Montana Rail Link's track near Skyline. I made a sound source so that he will randomly let out a bugle every few minutes.
    Open Rails 2017-12-21 05-27-40

2. A bull moose wades in the Little Blackfoot River east of Elliston late in the evening.
    Open Rails 2017-12-21 04-23-27

3 & 4. A bighorn sheep ram and his ewe watch a passing eastbound freight in the canyon at Bearmouth.
    Open Rails 2017-12-21 04-11-51
    Open Rails 2017-12-21 04-13-39

As part of my ongoing efforts to achieve accuracy, I used maps showing the specific range of the different animal species, including their population density, to keep the animals in their real-world habitats. As an example, bighorn sheep are found only on the western portion of the route in the rocky canyons around Bearmouth and Nimrod, and many wildcats including mountain lions, bobcats, etc. are most commonly found up on Mullan Pass itself.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS

Absolutely stunning.
    The bar is out of reach. :-)
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    Absolutely stunning.
    The bar is out of reach. :-)
    Couldn't agree more. A masterclass in attention to detail and accuracy.
    Cheers!
    Pete

Awesome! Can't wait for it to be released. Will download it! Will this be open rails friendly and how far does the route go? Where does it start and finish at?