Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MRL Mullan Pass Official Thread

Redid the grasses to reduce object counts and finally found some grass textures I'm pleased with, at least for now... Laid a few more miles of track down almost to the entrance to the Helena yard.

The spur to the right is the Fort Harrison Spur.

Tobin again, with the new grasses which reduced tile object count by 3 times or more.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS

Quote Originally Posted by PerryPlatypus View Post
    Redid the grasses to reduce object counts and finally found some grass textures I'm pleased with, at least for now...
    ...That's if ... you can wait until early next week, when I will make available a very comprehensive package of trackside vegetation, including
    some all-original Fraser Canyon tall grasses, of the same overall type as SLI's "classic" Arizona grasses . As far as world object count , I also ensured that are many "clumps" which are convenient , and all the material I will provide, will have been LOD-optimized .

I have been a bit delayed packaging all this ( this now has been a non-stop week-and-a-half marathon ), but I also need to consider a few other Route projects underway , which could make use of suitable / all-North American , typical trackside grasses / variations which would include for example, some suitable for Nebraska .. and a number of MidWest / East Coast / Southern , variations .

Now, in as far as having so many ( quote / unquote ) , "payware" items , on your current Route , I had given some thought to it, and I personally feel you shouldn' t be losing sleep over it . What Nick had suggested , is entirely acceptable, as well as this analogy with locomotive "repaints", where you need to purchase some payware models, in order to get the maximum benefit .

With this, what I am trying to say , is that , if folks would want your Route "that bad" ( and you certainly would have to include me in that batch ... ) , then , it should be entirely up to them..., to ..."make the effort" , and procure all the necessary third party content ( whether this would be payware, or freeware ) .

What you are dropping on our lap, is already a whole lot more, than many could possibly be wishing for .

And if you need any help, as you keep progressing along the way with your project , you do know you can count on a lot of friends that can offer such help and consultations .

Jean Brisson Route Builder

I think post #17 suggests that this will be offered as payware through SLI

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.

Quote Originally Posted by burgerbern View Post
    I think post #17 suggests that this will be offered as payware through SLI
    Bernard : Some of us are aware that Sean had been working on an equally excellent Route upgrade , based on an MLT Route , and that , Yes, Sean had indeed the 'lines wide open" with MLT , as far as having outright clear permissions, to pursue on his project .

Not to say there are no precedents to the scenario, here ...

A friend of mine actually did most of the work on the Shuswap Sub, and later sold it, lock, stock & barrel, to MLT . And so, Yes, such scenario is entirely possible , and yes, I would also agree that Sean has worked very-very hard to earn the respect from all of us in the community , from the freeware , as well as payware, sides of the equation .

Now, as far as the final "say", as if this is either speculative , or that, there was some misinterpretation along the way , this is not up to me to offer any suggestions.

Simply to say that , whichever way , we all are highly supportive of Sean's current project , regardless of what will be the end format ( freeware with a "repaint-style" additional pack of components to add) , or an outright Route , to be purchased "lock, stock & barrel" , directly from Streamlines .

Jean Brisson Route Builder

Since it has became an item of such controversy, yes, it is my intent that this route will eventually be able to be sold through SLI. But for now, I am focusing on building the route, and I would appreciate if I can bring you all in to focus on that too, rather than speculating about what-ifs and such.

I have seen your recently released grasses, Jean, and as I hope to be able to eventually sell this route, I'm afraid any items designated as freeware cannot be included, unfortunately. This is why any objects that I need have to be produced by me (I have already built the Skyline and Greenhorn bridges).

Anyways, after a bit of a break, now that the holiday break has arrived, I will be able to push through with route-building for a while. Trackwork has been laid as far as the west end of the Helena Yard, and after completing track at Helena, my next course of action will be to focus on track-laying westwards towards Missoula before focusing much more on scenery.

While the main focus of the route is Helena to Missoula, it is up in the air at this point on whether the Darby branch to Lolo, the Montana City branch, and the spur out of Phosphate will be built. As this project rumbles along, my decision on whether to build these will lie primarily on the basis of input from you guys on whether there is significant interest in these lines, even if it means delaying the route release considerably to allow sufficient time to construct them.

It is worthy of note that I am gradually redoing the terrtex work on the east side of the pass to have more dry, yellow grass as is typical of the area. Here, one can see a bit of this recent terrtex work as a unit talc train climbs the grade between Birdseye and Austin. I would like some input on if this is turning out satisfactory-looking to the general public.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS

Sean, thanks for clarifying that, I for one will look forward eagerly to this route, i have watched the Pentrex video many many times and have always wanted a MRL specific route to run on rather than using the NP tracks on the RMD routes, and what better route couild there be for the task as i hate having trainset folders with Fallen flags and modern stuff mixed, with this route i can leave RMD to NP and MILW and move all the MRL to the New Mullan Pass.
    Last edited by burgerbern; 12-23-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 6.25TB HDD's.

I would gladly pay for the Mullan Pass route, based on what has been shown here so far. One note that I would make--there are often freeware objects included in payware routes. I think the key there is that the payware provider secure permission from the object creator to include it. The other option is for the freeware community to provide replacement freeware shapes for a payware route after it is released for sale. That has happened a lot, too. Either way, having the Mullan Pass route available for MSTS/OR would be great.

Thank you guys! I agree that it is about time that there is a route to run the huge amount of MRL equipment on, which is part of the reason I am building this!

As far as freeware scenery, I think generally that is a more difficult path to go down, in terms of working out agreements with freeware artists. Besides, most of the stuff that I will need that is not SLI assets are also not available as freeware, so I have to make them either way. I figure it is easier in the long run to stick to the current path I am on as far as scenery objects goes.

This evening after dinner, I laid track from a few miles west of Blossburg to the east switch of Avon, a distance of about 12 miles. Here is a shot of show how the west slope is shaping up. The eastbound ML climbs the 1.4% compensated grade about two miles below the west switch of Blossburg.
    ~Sean Kelly~

MRL Mullan Pass for ORTS

No need to get distracted with a discussion about freeware.
    Just keep doing what you've been doing, you're doing fine!

David Carleton

Agreed. Great work there, Sean. Keep those screens coming!
    Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature