Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SWREG / Streamlines

Is the delivery service really defective? As I and other have pointed it the problems people are having is very small compared to the large amount of file distribution that SWREG does. How many thousands of DL's does SWREG handle every day? Think about it. A few bad downloads out of thousands doesn't make the service defective. If SWREG was really a defective service my google search would have pulled up plenty of comments from other software purchases outside the virtual train community complaining about them.

Users here seem to take isolated or small events to form very broad conclusions. Just look at the graphics card psu thread. One weak system got tested so immediately the OP claims all the graphics card companies are lying to us by inflating the graphics cards requirements. Seriously?

Now, to be fair there are more than just one complaint about SWREG. However that number is still extremely small. Once again very broad assumptions are being made with little account for browers, home network, local ISP and all the hops taken by data between SWREG and a user.

I swear no one looks at problems logically anymore. Just knee jerk assume and start finger pointing.
    Just say NO to Fictional Railroad Foaming...

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    Wherever the problem is it does not excuse the vendor from taking a week to reply to a customer requesting assistance.
    Agree. And the fact that's still an open question is one of the reasons I've left this open.

And if there was an option to get it on a cd/flashdrive it would be a moot point.

Not always. CD-by-mail has its issues, too.

I ordered Feather River on 11/26, and the disc never came. On 12/8, I contacted Marc and he gave me a download link instead, and that (1.2 gb) download worked just fine.

The very same WEEKEND that I was struggling to download 2 of SLI's 30mb files from SWREG, I was also downloading 1.2 gb flawlessly from Marc's site.

But by all means, assert that its "my computer" or "my ISP" or "operator error" again.

Quote Originally Posted by apco25 View Post

I swear no one looks at problems logically anymore. Just knee jerk assume and start finger pointing.
    You are not using logic. SWREG has nothing to do with the vendor taking a week to respond. Local ISPs have nothing to do with the vendor taking a week to respond. Browsers have nothing to do with the vendor taking a week to respond. Home networks have nothing to do with the vendor taking a week to respond. Hops taken by data have nothing to do with the vendor taking a week to respond.

READ the OP
    Quote Originally Posted by clawsonsa View Post
    I started a support ticket at Streamlines and have added 4 messages to it. SWREG said they also have contacted Streamlines for me. I have NOT heard back from either of them. I have since requested that my order be cancelled. I am about to contact my Credit Card company and stop payment. I have purchased all of the earlier Streamline routes as well as numerous train packs from Streamlines. I have sent email to both the support line and the corporate line. Still no response. How disappointed. I am with Streamlines.

Where has the simple customer service disappeared to. Maybe it is time to just move on from the Train Sim hobby and find another.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    I don't want to appear to be defending SWREG here, but I'm still not convinced that it's on their end. They've got large pipes, and there's no difference to them between 100 12Mb downloads or a single 1.2Gb download. The transmission starts, and it ends.

What happens in between there and the end user is unpredictable.

If you're having trouble downloading the larger files, have you checked the MTU settings on your NIC and on your router?...

I know it's uber-geek stuff, but can make a difference... Set it too high, and the pipes will start breaking up packets into fragments, and that in turn can slow down things and possibly screw up larger downloads.

A couple years ago, we had issues with our router and didn't know it until my son started playing X-Box Live. Then it was a problem... A call to the ISP fixed our MTU settings, and we didn't have any problems afterward.

To test it on your PC, there's a tool here: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

or you can do it from the command prompt in Win7: netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces

That will tell you the MTU setting on your NIC or wireless card:

Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\>netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces

MTU  MediaSenseState   Bytes In  Bytes Out  Interface
    ------  ---------------  ---------  ---------  -------------
    4294967295                1          0    8860404  Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
      1500                1   76755630    5286846  Wireless Network Connection
      1300                5          0      24928  Wireless Network Connection 2
      1300                5          0      24600  Local Area Connection
      1300                5          0      26240  Wireless Network Connection 3
      1300                5          0      24928  Local Area Connection 2
      1300                1          0     159085  VMware Network Adapter VMnet1
      1300                1          0     159111  VMware Network Adapter VMnet8
      1500                5          0          0  Bluetooth Network Connection 2
    On this PC, it's set to 1500, and there are occasional problems...

Next, do a ping with the following switches to see if there's fragmentation going: ping google.com -f -l 1500

Code:
    C:\>ping google.com -f -l 1500

Pinging google.com [74.125.224.165] with 1500 bytes of data:
    Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

Ping statistics for 74.125.224.165:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
    Fragmentation <> Good. You need to back down the MTU... Keep modifying the MTU value from 1500 down until you find the point fragmentation stops.

Code:
    C:\>ping google.com -f -l 1470

Pinging google.com [74.125.224.165] with 1470 bytes of data:
    Reply from 67.1.181.1: Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.
    Not good enough... try again...

Code:
    C:\>ping google.com -f -l 1460

Pinging google.com [74.125.224.165] with 1460 bytes of data:
    Reply from 74.125.224.165: bytes=1460 time=62ms TTL=57
    Reply from 74.125.224.165: bytes=1460 time=65ms TTL=57
    Reply from 74.125.224.165: bytes=1460 time=70ms TTL=57
    Reply from 74.125.224.165: bytes=1460 time=65ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 74.125.224.165:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 62ms, Maximum = 70ms, Average = 65ms
    Add 28 to the value, and that should be your max. In this case, it's 1492, even though Win7 set it to 1500.

My ADSL router is also set to 1492. Some routers default to 1500...
    And WHAT does that have to do with the vendor not having the courtesy to respond to the purchasers request for assistance?
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    And WHAT does that have to do with the vendor not having the courtesy to respond to the purchasers request for assistance?
    Did you not see the post from an hour earlier where I said pretty much the same thing you did?...

Regardless of the service issue, there's the problem some people are having downloading large files. It's not always manifested until you get to a certain file size or are doing streaming.
    Last edited by eolesen; 12-15-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wwhall View Post
    I am constantly downloading files from multiple sources and vendors--both for my personal use and business use. In the past 3 months, the ONLY problem that I've had was with the SWREG file from Streamlines--and that occurred multiple times before it finally worked. I checked my computer settings, checked the download speed of my ISP--all of that--before and after I had the SWREG problem--it hasn't changed--everything is working fine.

The fact that multiple people, likely from all over the world, are complaining about the same problem with the same download service downloading the same products from the same vendor indicates to me that the issue is not on the customer end. The chance that all of those customers have the same "defective" computer settings, are using the same ISP, etc. are extremely small.
    Well stated! It appears there are a couple people here who, regardless of all evidence to the contrary, automatically assume "Operator Error" when problems like this occurr. They haven't had any problems and have no empathy with those frustrated folks who have paid goot money and can't get their product. One wonders that, if they're so quick to point fingers, what would happen if they were in the predicament these helpless folks are in? There are way too many people in the same boat for this to be operator error on their part.
    Larry Steiner
    Grand Rapids, Michigan

I just purchased the BNSF Seligman 2.0 route today, i got the download link clicked on it and it starts to download and then it stops, ive contacted SWREG so hopefully i can get it figured out. this is the first time ive had any problems downloading any of their products.

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

What if I did not receive my product?
    Generally you will need to check with your vendor. If your download failed, please go to Cardquery. SWREG provides an extended download service to customers allowing access to your download for a longer duration than the initial purchase transaction.