Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many in MSTS community

So we all agree that 1,000 is too low and 1,000,000 is too high, right?

I agree with Eric (eolesen) that the number is probably between 10,000 and 100,000.

There have been some good points made on this thread and some interesting numbers posted. It's a difficult question but we do have some clues. Right now if I were asked "how many people have run MSTS in the last 3 months?" my wild guess would be 25,000.

Tomorrow I'd probably give a different answer.

Regards,

Rob.

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Funny thing is, if you do a little web searching the game seems to be remarkably popular in China, Japan, and India. As well as Russia. Not to mention Europe. But, if you want to take a count, I gave away my first pair of disks and then bought a second set.

That's two!

I have to think, though, that with a million copies sold (no actual documentation of that, however), how many copies of other games are out there that are never used. There are few games that last long general use, MSTS and Nascar 2003 being notable exceptions.

Problem is, how long with MSTS last when/if something better comes out?

Robert

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rdamurphy View Post
    Problem is, how long will MSTS last when/if something better comes out?
    Since releasing my DB-TRACKS-ROUTES, now having attracted over 100000 downloads world-wide, it will be a long time before something better comes out, ORTS being the most likely candidate !

O t t o

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Somehow, I severely doubt that number. Sounds like a server glitch, or something. Or you're looking at stats for the ISP.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/otto-wipfel.co.uk#

Robert
    Last edited by rdamurphy; 01-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.

The longer it takes developers to come out with something the more imbedded the community gets. Think about all the utilities, Bin changes, and technological advancements in the sim we've seen in over 10 years. We are just now getting to the life mark of the game as hardware and OS are jumping almost too far ahead for the game to be useful.

But, I think like me, there will be a lot of people that keep a little bit of an outdated backup computer to keep running our favorite little sim that could!!

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk&Southern 1894 View Post
    But, I think like me, there will be a lot of people that keep a little bit of an outdated backup computer to keep running our favorite little sim that could!!
    Not so !

Here is my MSTSBin DB-TRACKS-ROUTES Wupper Express-11 running on my Train Sims only WIN-7 64-bit computer shown below:

http://www.otto-wipfel.co.uk/video/db-tracks-wupper.wmv
    Alt-Enter to view Full-Screen.

Excuse the water marks, I am still waiting to get the licenses.

There is no other train simulator which can give me those tracks, their fully functioning switches and variable track joints sounds for high speed rails.

Have not yet added my going over switches / points sounds, there being rather a lot of them !

O t t o

Last edited by OTTODAD; 01-01-2013 at 09:55 PM.

DITTO! Otto.

Eh, maybe my point was lost, you illustrated it perfectly OTTODAD! This game is getting better and better. I own Trainz 2006 as well, but never run it because there is too much going for MSTS in the support/knowledge base of the community. I'll stick with MSTS until the developments dry up.... *Never

Yes I bought it twice, once when the original came out at 50 (!) and again on the budget label after a few years had passed by. If you look around the various forums there is still a fair bit of interest, for example over at UKTS a very clever guy just released a route called Thames-Trent, based on the UK Midland Main Line. With UK Finescale track and virtually all custom objects and textures it is receiving high praise and justifiably so. Without starting "sim wars" it probably offers a far better driving experience than many of the payware routes I've purchased lately for Railworks and it's freeware too.

Maybe one of the payware vendors could provide some idea of how many copies of a particular set or route were sold. I that is usually not released but they wouldn't have to name the set or route, just tell us that they sold x number of copies of y. I know that's not totally accurate as not everyone would purchase everything but that would give a fair number of active users maybe.
    Mike
    Proud Supporter of OR
    Creator of YardMaster
    "Thanks for using YardMaster"