Thread: SView won't work.

Question SView won't work.

well, I got a new computer, and moved just about all of my files on it. I do have everything MSTS needs, and every program for MSTS needs. But SView won't work anymore for some reason. Yes I do have windows 7 ( since win7 obviously has a lot of issues with games) but I had windows 7 on my laptop and it worked on there. Whenever I try to run it, it gives me an error saying "run-time error '429': You do not have an appropiate license to use this functionality". Does anyone know why it's doing this or how to fix it?

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

instead of just moving the folder, install the program using the installer.

Robert

I've tried that already. I even did it again today just in case.

Go to the Steam4Me page on Shape View, then scroll down to the Error messages.

James

One major reason for problems is if you have installed MSTS and all it's associated utility programs like ShapeView Route_Riter ect. in either of the two Program Files folder on the Win7 machine.
    These folders have very picky security protocalls and if not followed, you're outta' luck and in the ditch.

See the Steam4Me tutorials for how to install on Win7. http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/installing_msts.html

It doesn't matter if as you say "I had windows 7 on my laptop and it worked on there." If you didn't install per the tutorial you are going to have endless problems, especially installing add-on MSTS content.
    Hope this helps.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I simply copied the contents of the Shape Viewer folder on my WIN-XP computer and pasted it into this folder below on my WIN-7 64-bit computer and no problems.

No installing or other messing about !

O t t o

As Vince points out, Windows 7 applies stricter security and settings rules on anything in the "Program Files" and "Program Files(x86)" folders. The simple solution is just to install applications that run afoul of Windows 7's rules into a different folder.

On my system, I create a folder named "MSTS Utilities" right on the C: drive, and I install utilities like Shape Viewer, Route Riter, Train Store etc. in their own subfolders there.

When an installer runs, it reads the Registry or just assumes that programs get installed in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86); you just need to edit the path it shows you by removing the default "Program Files" bit and replacing it with your custom folder.

I maintain several of these "special" compatibility folders to group related older applications on my computer. At work, we just create one folder named "Compatibility" that's a mish-mash of applications, just like the "Program Files" folder is. Oddly, this is still one of the least-understood, hardly-documented and yet simple fixes in the IT world, at least in my neck of the woods. The usual response I hear from tech people who should know better is "That program must be incompatible with Win7, so you'll have to buy a new version." That doesn't exactly fly when an entire business process is wrapped up in an older application...

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    As Vince points out, Windows 7 applies stricter security and settings rules on anything in the "Program Files" and "Program Files(x86)" folders. The simple solution is just to install applications that run afoul of Windows 7's rules into a different folder.

On my system, I create a folder named "MSTS Utilities" right on the C: drive, and I install utilities like Shape Viewer, Route Riter, Train Store etc. in their own subfolders there.

When an installer runs, it reads the Registry or just assumes that programs get installed in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files(x86); you just need to edit the path it shows you by removing the default "Program Files" bit and replacing it with your custom folder.

I maintain several of these "special" compatibility folders to group related older applications on my computer. At work, we just create one folder named "Compatibility" that's a mish-mash of applications, just like the "Program Files" folder is. Oddly, this is still one of the least-understood, hardly-documented and yet simple fixes in the IT world, at least in my neck of the woods. The usual response I hear from tech people who should know better is "That program must be incompatible with Win7, so you'll have to buy a new version." That doesn't exactly fly when an entire business process is wrapped up in an older application...
    Thank you guys so much! SView works and I can finally get back to repainting.