Thread: Non-prototypical loops on prototypical routes... acceptable or unacceptable?

Default Non-prototypical loops on prototypical routes... acceptable or unacceptable?

I'm working on a complex prototypical route and now that the Amtrak Acelas are doing 165mph on the Northeast Corridor I'm kinda wantin' to run bullet trains everywhere on it without having to slow down. (I'm Ricky Bobby.) Thinking about inserting some non-prototypical loops. Even attempting to add one loop will probably crash Route Editor and destroy the route anyway, but if it worked and I ever uploaded the route, would the msts community frown upon such "leeway" in a prototypical route or would it be like 'cool, loops, I can run bullet trains everywhere on it without having to slow down' ?? I mean, come on, I already made the creeks and rivers 3 times wider than real life and jacked the mountain up a little so what could it hurt, right?

You can make any fantasy route you want and at least for me, I wouldn't care if you made it a roller coaster ....
    Umm, oh wait, that's already been done. SO any route is okay with most folks here.
    Have a look at Seaview and the Too Much Fun Port Ogden & Northern
    Way too much fun to play with, especially the PO&N with it's HUGE amount of AI traffic and open activity concept. (Try picking up EVERY loose consist and spare engine on the route for a REAL fun time!!

Before I built the nec4 one of the exercises I tried was building a reverse loop at each end of the USA2 (Marias Pass) Route.I hid it in a tunnel. With a little tweaking I was able to run my SuperAcela continuously end to end at 1000 MPH (watch that sonic boom!)
    Also did this on the Europe1(Settle & Carlisle) route. They worked fine.

That said, there is a technical reason for no loops. MSTS will crash if it 'sees' a circular path but there are ways to accomplish this by clever use of signals and switches.

OttO released a reverse loop route as a test bed for loop ideas but I don't remember it's name or if it's still available.

So have at it and Enjoy!
    Last edited by Vince; 01-09-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Aren't there some loops on the real life NEC? I thought the PRR and NYC had some at terminals to turn entire trains quickly, or am I not remembering correctly?

Funny thing is, there's a similar discussion on the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad, they want to install a loop to turn trains quickly for the return trips. Purists say it would ruin the authenticity and heritage of the railroad, and some railfans like to watch the switching done at each end...

Robert

There is a double track loop at the Sunnyside Yard in New York east of the NYC Penn Station. There is also a return loop at the tunnels west of the Horseshoe Curve. Both are isolated by a sufficient number of switches and signals to prevent the close loop crashing bug. Otherwise, there are several WYE in the route for reversing trains. All are real world.

Not to try to be prototype police or anything, but wouldn't the correct term be a balloon or reversing loop? A loop is more like the in the Feather River Canyon or the Tehachapi Loop out here in Cali, right?
    Southern Pacific Transportation Company

I think the majority of Folk on here just enjoy a well built route that, when looking out the window, nearly resembles the major parts of an area seen by rail. The rest is your hands as far as delivery and if you saw fit to put a loop/swoosh/woop-d-woop or crag people will enjoy it!

I guess If I do put them in I'll hide them at the ends of spurs using scenery. Just started using Open Rails to run msts content and because it's all in widescreen HD now and because the views let you see so much more I'm wanting it to be more prototypical than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Not to try to be prototype police or anything, but wouldn't the correct term be a balloon or reversing loop? A loop is more like the in the Feather River Canyon or the Tehachapi Loop out here in Cali, right?
    You are correct.
    3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature