Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horseshoe Curve Difficulties

Default Horseshoe Curve Difficulties

Greetings, all. I am quite new to this and have a very limited knowledge of computers. Thus far I have downloaded the 5 files for the Yoder HC route, MSTS Bin, the track upgrade, activites NS 514 and NS 567, and the "9302" -9 add on. Plus X-Tracks and Newroads. I know there are instructions for how to complete the download but to no avail. I managed to get the route listed on the MSTS "Choose" screen but the consists and locomotives are standard MSTS. When I choose one, nothing loads except the picture of the HC and the loading bars at bottom.
    What have I missed? Inproper unzipping or destination? Again, I'm a little lost at this point and no close help nearby.
    Computer is a 1 year old Dell with plenty of memory and speed. Regular MSTS works.
    Thanks for the help.

Welcome Magnet, sorry you're having trouble.

A couple of things might be happening.

first of all, I wonder if you've run a different route successfully? (And if you have, know that the horseshoe curve route and other modern routes are miles better than the default routes that come with msts). I would assume the default routes should open without problem. Perhaps you could try downloading and installing a different route that strikes your fancy. If it also doesn't work, the problem is (probably) with your MSTS installation (ie, you put bin in the wrong place or something). However I'm guessing that's not the case.

Next things is about rolling stock. Have you downloaded additional rolling stock? You mentioned the activities and as I recall the horseshoe curve route includes a few activities as well. However they each have a list of required downloads of rolling stock that you need to have to run the route. Most is free, found at the file library here (in the menu above). Which is a lovely world of delight, by the way, if you haven't figured that out already. A few activities require buying the Norfolk Southern set from streamlines.ca (Around $23 and worth it. It includes some activities as well).

Rolling stock get installed into the TRAINSET folder within the TRAINS folder and consists go into the (surprise) CONSISTS folder in the TRAINS folder. You probably figured that out, but everybody had to learn the first time, right . . .

Lacking the rolling stock could crash a route, however usually you get specific error messages when an activity expects to find certain rolling stock and doesn't.

Since your route shows up, I'm going to assume you've put it into the proper place. Some routes require you to run a batch file as part of the installation, but I can't remember if horseshoe curve is one of them. But usually if you skipped this step you'd get missing file errors.

Another thing is I found I needed to employ the "memory hack" to make msts work with the horseshoe curve route. Try that first, because it's the easiest. Make a shortcut of your msts TRAIN.EXE program. Right click on your new shortcut. In the Target Box while in the 'properties' change the target to something like:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\train.exe" -mem:1024
    [the file location can vary, so leave that as it is in your shortcut, just add the -mem:1024 at the end.]
    This increases the memory available for msts.
    If you have less than 2 GB of memory on your machine, set the -mem: for half your available memory.
    Then you run MSTS from this shortcut.

Lastly, just know that this particular route is unusually demanding of computers and if you do a search in the files here, you will find a number of posts from other users who have experienced similar problems. You may find something in one of the earlier posts that addresses your situation better.

Christopher

The memory hack is not required when running MSTSBin.
    You may need to be running Train Store to get horseshoe to work for you.
    Cheers
    Derek

What constitutes " enough memory"? If u are saying u have enough memory based on tje computer requirements printed on msts box.....running this route may not happen

What is Your OS?
    IF WIN7 then did you use the installation procedure at the Steam4Me web site as recommended at https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-or-64-bits-OS ?

If you just followed the Install prompts from the CD and used the default installation, then start over and use the Steam4Me procedure.
    Charles

While Derek is correct that most of the time the memory hack is not needed, for this route in particular (and no other) my own experience is otherwise -- and this has been the case for many others as well. In fact it was using the memory hack that cleared this problem up for me.
    Christopher

I stand corrected.

this is the original message from George through Otto:-

MSTS Memory Allocation

by alanch on 31 Jul 2007 03:39

Otto has posted on Trainsim.com that George has discovered an undocumented switch that allows you to allocate a specified amount of memory at start up.

You can handle memory with undocumented parameter -mem:xxx. For all versions of MSTS or Bin you can use parameter mem:xxx for needed memory allocation. Example: Start "train.exe -mem:512" for 512M memory using "train.exe -vm:w -mem:512" for MSTS in window or "train.exe -toolset -mem:512" for toolset. You can use as much memory as you want, but it should not exceed 1/2 of physical PC memory. Test what value is the best for your system.
    Cheers
    Derek

I have the Windows 7 OS and followed the Steam4Me instructions. I have removed everything and will start over. Here's the plan:
    1. Load the MSTS cds.
    2. Load the fix program.
    3. Load MSTS Bin
    4. Then unzip the five compressed files. Where should I send them?
    After this step, what other downloads does anyone feel necessary? I will also try the memory hack.
    Thanks much folks.

You have not mentioned x-tracks and new roads. I can't remember if this route needs them, but many do so they are part of my standard installation.

You have also not mentioned downloading any rolling stock needed for activities on this route.

The Hourseshoe Curve files should go into the ROUTE folder, but check the readme for specific instructions (such as perhaps running a batch file. I forget if this route has one).

Christopher

So far so good. What rolling stock downloads are required for this route? I have yet to download MSTS Bin. Should I wait or go ahead? Thanks again.