Thread: Experimental releases

Default Experimental releases

what happened with these? The last was released 2 weeks ago (jan 5th). I know everyone can compile the latest from svn but currently i don't have VS installed.

Some are still deer hunting, some are cutting firewood, and some of us are fishing the New Jersey beaches for stripers. And there those of us who are working on equipment to manage our lands in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by kox View Post
    what happened with these? The last was released 2 weeks ago (jan 5th). I know everyone can compile the latest from svn but currently i don't have VS installed.
    We're fortunate to get the experimental releases at all, as opposed to waiting for a version release every 10-18 months...

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post

I have been a programmer for over 30 years and could not do it, knowing nothing about the ORTS code and compiler used for it.

O t t o

Seriously? OR is written in C#.net, and is compiled by Visual Studio.net. Which kox refers to as "VS." Anyone can download the Source Code, look at it, even modify it, and even compile it in VS.

Robert
    Last edited by rdamurphy; 01-19-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kox View Post
    The experimental releases are on hold for a few weeks because we've just integrated a massive signalling / dispatcher update and we wanted to work out the major kinks before letting you guys loose on it. Don't worry, the experimental builds will be back soon.
    James Ross
    Open Rails Management Team

Looking forward to the update, James.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    And that's in addition to your full-time career as an accountant and also being a pilot?
    Astounding!!!

Where did you find the time?

BK
    Off topic, but I know lots of pilots and they all had a second life outside the cockpit.

With accounting, it's not a stretch to have had to learn programming 30 years ago. When I was still a business analyst 20 years ago, we were still largely mainframe based, and even after Excel came out on Win 3.1, it was still faster in the early 90's to crunch numbers in a SAS job or some JCL than it was to double-enter stuff into Excel... that lead to doing PC programming first in batch files, QB, VB and then Delphi, SQL, Javascript, CFML, ASP, and PHP later in my career. All of it with a job title that didn't have the word "programmer" in it...

It is not necessary to know C# to get the latest unpublished OR release. f you follow the instructions about source code in the OR site, you will be able to download BOTH the source code and the program build in a single shot. You can run the program build without problems, but you are not allowed to complain with the OR staff if something does not work!

Hi Otto,
    maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I wanted to say is this: if you download the Open Rails Source kit, you automatically get also the latest version executable program (that is more recent than the one available in the "Experimental release page", as also explained in the link you posted: "Program - pre-compiled executables for inclusion in the installation package". So you neither need to modify source code nor to compile and build it to get the last version executable program.
    Modifying source code and compiling/building it is another story; nevertheless it can be done by following the instructions in the page you have linked. The problem is not in the tools, that can all be downloaded for free and are easy to use, but in interpreting the existing source code, finding the place where you want to insert the modification, and inserting a correct and working modification...
    By the way if I understood it correctly not all the source code is available. Part of it is hidden. However, building the kit leads to working executables as I could test.
    Last edited by csantucci; 01-21-2013 at 09:48 AM.