Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: New project: ICG GP38-2

Don't mean to sound like a gimme pig, but is there any chance you could do an ICG GP11 to complement these? There desperately needs to be a GP11 model available...
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--

I think Paul Fowler's GP11's are still available over at Mophouse, though they are somewhat dated...

Kevin

Great shots Kevin! It really captures what endeared me to the ICG: about 10 ragged engines on the front of a 100 car train....

The pictures capture both types of exhaust that I have seen so far. I'll probably try to texture the "shotgun" exhaust onto the stack plates so I don't have to punch holes and remap the hood. I have run into trouble in the past with changing the mapping after the model is finished. Things may not line up just right and then it's back to the drawing board...literally!

The GP11 may come later but with Paul Fowler's model being pretty good (for it's time), I'll try to do some other Paducah rebuilds first. I have a suspicion that his GP11s could look really nice with big new textures on the original shape....

Tyler

Update:

I tried to texture the exhaust the best I could. It should be sufficient since the model doesn't have shine on it. I also rebuilt the step wells cause I didn't think my original work was correct. Finally, I added some rotating fans!

Getting closer...

Tyler

Hey Tyler,

THat shot you have linked with the two GM&O units is off the Iowa Div. I THINK it is one of the Counsil Bluffs-Chicago trains (CC-6??)with all the pigs on the head end. This is just after delivery of the 38-2's. If I can get people to STOP DYING in my family long enough to help out...I have all kids of shots of the IC 9612 circa 2003-2004. Same same with the 9560 Ex GM&O. It's still too bad you cant do four separate exhaust plumes. these units also would blow smoke rings out of one stack while yet another smoked like a steamer.

Your weathering is soooo good....my converted railfan wife walked by, seen the screenies, and asked me WHERE the shot was taken....Genoa??? So that tells you how great you did! ;-)

Take care my friend!!

kelley D. Ellison

Thanks Kelley! Sorry to hear that your people keep dying. That's no fun...

The weathering is always a work in progress. I've picked up some new techniques with this model but I think there are some texture masters out there who I consider to be real artists. I try to deconstruct what I like about their results & experiment to find what I like. Jon Clark has given me some good ideas that really kicked it up a notch. I may try a few more things on the GP38-2's but I'm excited to move on to other projects!

Tyler

I'll second the compliment - that roof weathering is very nice
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Tyler, stop posting pics of the real locomotives and not the MSTS ones.

Fantastic work as always. You have done a really nice job with this!
    I might have to find a way to install MSTS onto my external to run on my laptop!! (no disc tray on the laptop)

I did another shape upgrade (hopefully the last!) and upgraded some texture stuff as well. I decided at this time to change the 9626 from it's 1979 look to the early 80's look. This is pretty much what it looked like in 1982. Only a few of the 9600's received this paintjob.

Thanks again for the compliments and suggestions. Hopefully they are getting close to release!

Tyler

That's some pretty sweet texturing, Tyler! Good stuff!