Thread: Why Can't I Get Any Brake Pressure?

Question Why Can't I Get Any Brake Pressure?

While going thru the tunnel at Allard - going uphill - the engines broke apart from the train.

I followed the prompts needed to charge the brakes. The compressor is working, but the brake pressure stays at zero.

What can I do here?

Thanks,

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by ForestHIllsRob View Post
    While going thru the tunnel at Allard - going uphill - the engines broke apart from the train.

I followed the prompts needed to charge the brakes. The compressor is working, but the brake pressure stays at zero.

What can I do here?

Thanks,

Robert
    That valve at the rear of the last unit may need closing.

Yep. click the coupler of the last unit before the break and close the anglecock, or the brakes will never recharge. And watch your amps carefully at Allard, Bealville, the north end of Cliff and the north end of Woodford, where you are most likely to encounter broken couplers. Remember that the amp limits are related to the number of units on the head end, and that if you have DPU's, let them push hard thru these trouble spots. If you have only head end power, you may need to shut down a unit or two in order to increase the amp limit to start from a stop on the hill. I had to isolate one of the four units on the Q-STOCHI so I could go up to 1500 amps and get started in N6 at Woodford, after a DD hit at 347. The amp limit for four running units uphill is about 1200.

Quote Originally Posted by flarrfan2 View Post
    Yep. click the coupler of the last unit before the break and close the anglecock, or the brakes will never recharge. And watch your amps carefully at Allard, Bealville, the north end of Cliff and the north end of Woodford, where you are most likely to encounter broken couplers. Remember that the amp limits are related to the number of units on the head end, and that if you have DPU's, let them push hard thru these trouble spots. If you have only head end power, you may need to shut down a unit or two in order to increase the amp limit to start from a stop on the hill. I had to isolate one of the four units on the Q-STOCHI so I could go up to 1500 amps and get started in N6 at Woodford, after a DD hit at 347. The amp limit for four running units uphill is about 1200.
    Thanks for the excellent explanation.

Further questions:

1 - Isolate means the engine is shut-off on a particular unit? Is this done by clicking on the unit you want to isolate?

2 - I presume the train must be stopped to re-activate the unit in question?

3 - "The amp limit for four running units uphill is about 1200." Is this when starting on a hill or actually running up the hill?

Robert

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

You don't want to isolate units. That's the wrong method. You can easily just run a notch below, and not try to accelerate on the hill, but if you feel you really, really, really just HAVE to get that last mph our of her going uphill use the independent to cut back the tractive effort.

If you give the train enough power to start moving, and wait until it stops accellerating, you should be able to drag all the way to the top of the hill. Increasing a notch can - and likely will - exceed your coupler breaking limits. Using the independent can allow you to increase TE by "half a notch."

After all, if you're going to simulate real rail operations, you should simulate real rail operation methods... Speed isn't a consideration when you pull a drawbar. A broken knuckle can be fixed by the Conductor, a pulled drawbar requires the car to be set out and repaired later by a Carman.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by ForestHIllsRob View Post
    Thanks for the excellent explanation.

Further questions:

1 - Isolate means the engine is shut-off on a particular unit? Is this done by clicking on the unit you want to isolate?

2 - I presume the train must be stopped to re-activate the unit in question?

3 - "The amp limit for four running units uphill is about 1200." Is this when starting on a hill or actually running up the hill?

Robert
    1. Yes, and click stop diesel button
    2. can be done on the fly, but most common reason is to start from a stop on the hill
    3. both...going over 1200, depending on train length, weight and grade, is an invitation to a broken coupler

Quote Originally Posted by rdamurphy View Post
    You don't want to isolate units. That's the wrong method. You can easily just run a notch below, and not try to accelerate on the hill, but if you feel you really, really, really just HAVE to get that last mph our of her going uphill use the independent to cut back the tractive effort.
    Robert
    The method described for starting from a stop on a 2% plus upgrade was recommended to me by one of several railroad professionals who frequent our MP sessions. At certain places on the grade, a train with head end power only will not start without breaking couplers, unless the method described is used. It really has nothing to do with maintaining speed on the grade. In fact, with the unit isolated, it takes longer to recover speed and the speed will be lower than with all four units running.

Never had to isolate an engine or use the fence. Perhaps that is an easier way. If you look right in the help section of the simulator there is no mention of isolation or using the fence to start on a hill even with 4 units.

It takes sand, lots of patience, enough throttle (but not too much), and slowly releasing the indy as well as slowly increasing throttle at the right time. I was taught in beta by someone who has real world experience.

Thanks

Sean