Thread: Run 8 and RailDriver....

Default Run 8 and RailDriver....

Does anybody know what functions are assigned to which buttons on the RailDriver? I figured out a few, but I've seen no charts, templates or references to what they are.

The RailDriver website says....

Run 8 Train Simulator, developed with native support for the RailDriver Train Cab Controller, requires no additional software. Plug in the RailDriver, wait for Windows to install it, and start Run 8.
    If Run 8 was developed with RailDriver in mind, why doesn't it display the train's speed on it's LED display? Railworks was never made with the RailDriver in mind and yet it displays the train's speed on it just fine AND has a chart template of what functions the buttons have in it.
    EMD 2-strokes rule! My all-time favorite:SD45X I also like SD40-2/SD40T-2/SD45-2/SD45T-2/DD35A/DDA40X/SD70ACe/SD80ACe
    i7-7700HQ // 16GB DDR4 // GTX 1080 // 2TB SSD + 1TB HD // 17" 144Hz FHD w/G-Sync // TS2021 // TSW // T:ANE // Run 8 V2

If there are default key assignments, I've forgotten what they were. Just use Shift-F2 to open the Calibration Window (in Windowed mode, not Full Screen). For each button in the window, put the RailDriver control in that position, then press the window button. For example, for the Throttle, place it in the Full Throttle position and hit the window button for "Full Throttle" or Notch 8. Idle is set in the detent in the middle of the throttle, then press the window's Idle button to select the value. For the train brake, it seems to work best to set the "release" position very slightly above the bottom end of the handle's lower stop. Repeat for the other controls, abd press the "Save" button at the bottom of the calibration window.

ES44DCs have separate front and rear headlight switches, so on RailDriver the "Wiper (non-functional)" or top switch is for the front headlight, and the bottom or "Lights" switch for the rear.

To control DPUs, press the blue button 27 to put up the fence (26 for fence down), then control the throttle with the 2-way blue rocker switch: arrow down increases Throttle or reduces DB. Arrow up reduces throttle (or increases DB).

My mapping (buttons 1-14 top row, buttons 15-28 bottom row):

01 - Engine Run breaker
    02 - Gen Field breaker
    03 - Control breaker
    04 - Dynamic Brakes breaker
    05 - Cabin Light toggle
    06 - Step Light toggle
    15 - Start/Isolate/Run switch
    16 - M/U Headlight switch
    17 - Start button
    18 - Stop button
    19 - Attendant Call toggle
    20 - Window Heater toggle
    25 - Left MFD left (keyboard 'X')
    26 - Left MFD right (keyboard 'C')
    27 - Right MFD left (keyboard 'X')
    28 - Right MFD right (keyboard 'C')

My understanding of RailDriver's speed display is that it was based on the screen speed display, first in Microsoft's Train Sim then (with quite a lot of effort) adapted to Rail Sim. Run8's display (for now) is different. On the other hand, I couldn't always get RailDriver to work with Rail Sim locomotives; some work, some don't. With Run8 I finally feel I got my money's worth from the unit.

I'm not at home to try this at the moment, but those blue button assignments you list....did you use the MacroWorks software to override them and use your own preferences for them or is there a way to assign them within Run 8 itself?
    EMD 2-strokes rule! My all-time favorite:SD45X I also like SD40-2/SD40T-2/SD45-2/SD45T-2/DD35A/DDA40X/SD70ACe/SD80ACe
    i7-7700HQ // 16GB DDR4 // GTX 1080 // 2TB SSD + 1TB HD // 17" 144Hz FHD w/G-Sync // TS2021 // TSW // T:ANE // Run 8 V2