Thread: Just Repainting - for Trucks and Cars

Default Just Repainting - for Trucks and Cars

Hello, is there a good tutorial on just the repainting aspect of Cars & Trucks? I have done a number of searches here and just on line, but they keep coming up as Railroad Cars, Railroad Trucks, etc instead of just the repainting of existing autos and trucks. I want to do this for my own use on the routes that I have to help to create their own character.
    There are a couple of good tutorials on repainting Locomotives with the use of the "BMP" files that are supplied or otherwise available, but I could could not find any that dealt with just the repainting aspect as in taking an exisiting vehicle with its Texture and Shape files to begin.
    Is it a procedure that is simple or is it easier to create a new model from scratch?

I would appreciate any leads. The Steam4Me site has an excellent tutorial on the creation aspect, but I just want to re-colour some vehicles or add lettering for the trucks that reflect the area. There are a lot of excellent models out there already, but seeing the same colour truck or car throughout the route is not what I am looking for.

Thank You

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

It's really pretty simple. All you need to do is have a way to open the .ace file, send it to your painting editor, and then save it.

I would suggest TGATool2, by MW Graphics, downloaded at http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/train/tgatool2.htm.

Simply install the tool, and use it to open the .ace file associated with your car or truck. Then, use the options to set the path to your editor, which can be Photoshop, Gimp (free), or even Paint.net (also free). and there are others. Then simply select "Send to Editor" and TGATool2 will send the texture to your editor, make the changes you wish to make, and then save and close. TGATool2 will reload your image and allow you to export it as an ace file, either rewriting your old file or creating a new one.

If you create a new one, use Shape File Manager to decompress the .s file and change the texture reference in the file - if you want more than one of the same car or truck. Then you just need to create a new .sd file named the same as your new .s file - and referencing the new .s file inside.

I know that's a lot ot absorb, but basically, there's absolutely no difference between re-colouring a vehicle than re-colouring a freight car or locomotive. So, once you've learned to do vehicles, if you enjoy it, you may want to start doing other things.

Robert

You use the same methods as for locomotives and stock. The filetype is the same, ace, and usually there will only be one for a small thing like a car or truck.

You will need aceit.zip and a painting program. Make a copy of whatever you are going to alter, and work with the copy.

I see I have been beaten to the draw here, but aceit.zip is the program to get. It contains an updated TGATool that works with the included aceit program.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

I made a set of Chevy S10 trucks in the last couple years, and recolored images from a green truck into blue, red, and black.

Recolor1.jpg

I have Photoshop, and used a filter called CSI Pseudocolor. There are other recolor filters for PS, but I found this one to be the easiest for me.

What program do have to do the work?

Which automobiles do you plan to recolor?

James

OOOH! Can I have your trucks, James?

Robert

They're in the file library, Robert. Search for my last name; they should be near the top of the list.

James Hinman

Cool! I'll trade you for some tank cars.. LOL!

Robert

Thank you for the assistance on this subject. I will try my hand at this and see if I can progress.