Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: web provider has been down for at least 6 hours

Default web provider has been down for at least 6 hours

Just a heads up for anyone trying to get to my website it's down due to issues with the provider Webs.Com

My server however is up

Thanks

Sean

Site appears to be back up.

Yeah just came back up about 10 minutes ago, pretty slow but it's better than nothing

Thanks

Sean

Back down again early tonight, I decided to put it out of it's misery

Thanks for those who have supported RTS. I managed to send out a blast to all my members a short time ago. The Run8 server is also now offline as far as 24/7 goes.

Thanks

Sean

At least two 24/7 servers still out there, including one that operates pretty much like a virtual railroad. Other MP sessions regularly announced at the Run8America forum, for those willing to follow the rules instead of bitching about them.

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    Back down again early tonight, I decided to put it out of it's misery

Thanks for those who have supported RTS. I managed to send out a blast to all my members a short time ago. The Run8 server is also now offline as far as 24/7 goes.

Thanks

Sean
    Sean, to clarify, you meant that the RTS Run8 multi-player server is offline?
    Mark Fox

Yep RTS Run 8 24/7 server is now down, as well as the RTS website.

RTS was a virtual railroad and I know many said this was going to be a sad day for them. But honestly the way we did things was more about running trains then running are mouths as 1 member of mine liked to say

I'll check out what some of the other servers are doing since it somehow made it's way into another thread of mine. I like the way I did things personally, and we'll see if I can adapt to other systems. I know when I want to run from A to B there are plenty of good sessions that come up from time to time. Personally anything 20 trains or over I'll pass on. Though I'm very curious what it's like through the week in smaller numbers.

Thanks

Sean

Well just as I said I gave it a try. A 24/7 server was up this evening and there was about 10 to 15 people on it. Figured it may not be as chaotic as 20 so I'll run something simple Fleta to Bakersfield and give it a try. By the way I post this here because it's the only place I can to be honest.

Now I'm going to say something I honestly hope it doesn't offend people (and I'm not going to name names) because that is not my intent. I hit 13 on two occasions as I've mentioned in the past, and all for me was relatively calm and controlled. This is clearly much more popular, but I learned plenty in the last couple of hours. Again I tread very lightly because I'm not going to tell you what you should or should like as some has, I'm just going to tell you what I do and do not like.

By the time I was running I believe it was about 10 trains on the line. Now someone who was an RTS memeber seen me on and started saying something about RTS being down. The assumption I guess was that it was the lack of numbers that brought it down. There was also another assumption that I didn't have a teamspeak server. Again this is sent out to all my members and has been posted, no big deal. Probably surprised him when I started talking and cleared up rumor with facts. More than likely instead of just removing their membership they sent my announcements to junk mail, or they didn't bother reading it - oh well.

So for 2 hours tonight I ran a train and had a few meets but that was about the highlight for me. Though I see evidence of some kind of operation system in place, it looks confusing to me (I think I was accused of that). I thought it was pretty bad when there was 20 trains out on a line, well tonight for me topped it.

In fact when it was quiet for 1 minute people were complaining about how quiet it was I could barely get my signal calls in because people were talking about anything and everything across 200 miles. Be it the weather, animals, I haven't got a clue as I really tried to concentrate on running a train - thought that was the purpose. An Amtrak train (It was a freight with a few IM cars and a box car) held up the mainline after getting a clear shot through. Then they went into drama about how they were busy getting a noisy customer calmed down or something. By the time I got to Rowen I noticed no further traffic was coming on the last meet so I decided I had enough.

Now I've had plenty of members come and go, but make no mistake about it I sure as hell didn't take my site and server down because of lack of numbers. I would take 4 trains as a quiet night (2 of us in yards) over Run 8 / social media chit chat any day. Now I know I'm in the minority on that one, and that is fine.

Over the past little while I've had many people give thanks for what I brought to the table. We were moving record freight (let that not be confused with trains - actual freight) over the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately once the website began to act up it was getting difficult for me to update my members on what was happening. The website was costing me money, and I wasn't going to pay for the bandwidth any longer so I took it down with my server, period.

What I seen tonight was not a virtual railroad, it was a virtual chat room. This isn't meant to disrespect those that run these or any servers. But just because something is popular, doesn't make it good, it just makes it popular.

I'll take quality over quantity any day, and I appreciate those that stood by me. This isn't sour grapes as the server was coming down soon anyways. But I hope perhaps something I've done will inspire some others to give it a try. Also don't count the guys out running non-24 or even non-teamspeak servers. There is still plenty of options out there, and I'll keep my eye open in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Sean

I run regularly at the server SGM was on last night. There are a core group of 10-15 folks there (including at least a couple from the development team and five or six current or former pro RR'ers) who are more like family than just RR'ers and, as such, the TS chat can seem a little much at times. But the MP Run8 experience is inherently social and not just simulated professionalism. And we not only welcome newbies, we seek them out and try to give them as much help as possible. If that doesn't meet Sean's vision of what Run8 MP should be, then he probably shouldn't hang out with us.
    Last edited by flarrfan2; 02-22-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Hey I said I would try it, just like I tried to use TS again. I don't need you to tell me what I should or shouldn't join, or what I should or shouldn't use. Just like if some want to avoid MP or Run8 together that is a choice they make. Not everyone is going to enjoy what you like, and I assure you I'm not alone. Just like not everyone is going to enjoy what I like.

As far as what my server had several former and current pro RR'ers where also on RTS, not a big deal. Perhaps people like it more when everything is loose, and need the sense of family, again whatever makes them happy.

Back to where you brought the other 24/7 servers into this thread (by the way I believe that is the only 24/7 server left as Captain's I believe was the other one that is now down). You've been good at jumping all over my server in the past for someone that I don't believe even used it, at least I tried it. But I've said my peace on what others are doing, lets go to what I was doing (that was the topic after all).

I'm not always right either. Teamspeak when used right is a great tool. Many people like the way I had it set up so at least you were restricted in zones. Then others had no idea I even put a TS server up a month ago despite announcing it. No server anywhere said you couldn't use a TS server and talk with your buddies if that makes you happy.

Even in small numbers I and others were doing just fine, despite another false rumor that I took it down because of said numbers. Many left a while back because there was no teamspeak and I understand that. My biggest issue is I'm stubborn when it comes to my visions, and I don't always do what everyone wants (I know others who have been accused of this).

I believe about 7 years ago I first got into MP for a train simulator. Yes it wasn't real MP but we ran several sessions and TS was a requirement simply because it was the only way to communicate in MSTS and know where trains were. I even went so far to have those same zones on the CSX M&M and to some degree it worked ok. But overall MP was losing popularity at the time, and when you start losing numbers, many people lose interest.

I'll never be able to boast that I have more railroading experience simply because I never ran a train. But the ironic thing is many people get this sim because they want the realism not just the MP. But when it comes to MP experience in railroad simulation I have some of the most out there. I've seen what works, and what doesn't. The social aspect is more important to the majority, but keep in mind popularity is also important because it means more trains to see. This isn't because they need to be popular, they simply want to see more trains.

No matter how good your ideas are, if numbers start to fall and your down to a few trains in a session it's about as unpopular as having 20 in a session (both are not very prototypical). I have seen several people try and put sessions up and get down on themselves because they can't compete. The only thing that kept me going was the RTS system.

So for the next few weeks I'm going to support the little guys. It's nothing against you, the 24/7 server. It's simply about giving these guys a chance to compete. Again just because something is popular, doesn't mean you like it. Want an example of what I mean?

Without sounding like bashing MSTS again because I'm not (just an opinion) MSTS is still today the most popular train simulator out there. But it has only been tweaked and supported by the community and not by developers for close to a decade now. When people started seeing Trainz and RW they started branching off. Some stick to it because they like it better etc. Point is I stuck with MSTS because it was the less of a few evils. It wasn't perfect but I did what I could. When Run8 came along despite it's lack of user base, routes, etc. that are it's weaknesses it had 2 things I was looking for MP, and operations potential. That alone is why I became involved with Run8.

So if you enjoy the current 24/7 server that is great. All I did was say what my experience was with the server I tried again. As far as hanging I'm capable of hanging in the real world. Why I have a train simulator is because I'm not capable of running a train in the real world. If I want to virtually hang, I'll use my FB more often or actually go meet someone in person

Thanks

Sean