Thread: RTS Alliance Concept

Default RTS Alliance Concept

Well my website is now down, and though I can easily host a session at any time I think there are plenty out there capable of hosting sessions who are already doing pretty good.

My launch of the 1st 24/7 server was a reaction in trying to change a trend that I noticed taking place in server numbers. The advantages of 24/7 as I seen it was that anyone at anytime can run trains and I as a host didn't always have to be there and babysit. The disadvantage is without numbers you spread yourself too thin.

Other than those who have asked questions, or understood my system I've had mixed opinions of what they liked about RTS. Many have told me they miss it, and wish I didn't have to take it down. So I've got a few weeks left before training which is plenty of time to help others who want to be helped. I have a youtube channel with tons of tutorials as well.

What I find many people want out of MP will come to surprise you. They want options, but they also want clarity. Most of all they want a dispatcher. They want to be guided, and make sure they don't screw up. That is the advantage of announced sessions. What I propose is an alliance. Now it sounds kind of corny at first but here is the benefits of it.

1) Your giving people options. When I ran many sessions I was told that it just didn't fit their time or day quite often. This gives them those options but on your terms.
    2) Your saving working transportation systems, and sharing them with others. When your session is done you pass it on to the next host and they can take it from there.
    3) Your using a system that all parties agree on. The RTS program is there and can easily be modified to suit your needs.

Now I've left my last saved world and have not gone back into single player for now. I'm trying out different servers and seeing what I like and don't like personally. Realistic switch lists are easy to produce and they don't have to be limited to the industries, or yards I had. If you want to add Barstow and beyond by all means it can easily be done and I'll show you how.

Granted there are selfish reasons why I want to see this work too. Not so much that I'm going to be using it (after all later this spring I'll be out on the road all the time). But I would like to see someone take on my legacy, and put in their own flavor or vision. The only thing left of RTS now is that beta program. I can make a few minor changes to code if necessary as well though major development will probably never take place again. If you have questions let me know, and I'll be sure to post this elsewhere as well.

Thanks

Sean

P.S. actually it looks like my website now from premium to free is still available so I may as well use it for information on the concept. I'll update it shortly and also provide administrative passwords to those that want to use it, update it, etc.
    Last edited by SurvivorSean; 02-22-2013 at 03:17 AM. Reason: website still available

Sounds good Sean. Your contributions to the various aspects of MP that many didn't explore or even realize existed are truly much appreciated. I consider you and RTS as one of the cornerstones of MP use in Run8.

Cheers!
    Mark Fox

Thanks Mark I appreciate it. Hoping it catches on, and gives people a bit more variety to chose from.

I know I've said it before but RTS is about moving freight. This still leaves about 90% or whatever the user demand out there is for people to run trains from A to B if they aren't interested in that. Since I've got a program out there it would be a shame if it simply run dormant because people don't want to give it a try.

Thanks

Sean

Gone into further detail and made a major web change this evening. The site is still be hosted by webs.com but it's the free service. Tutorials, track schematics, a bit of history are now back in place.

The big change was going into further detail on the alliance as I'm starting to get some serious interest in this. Once I'm through my sessions Wednesday and Friday I intend on getting this all in motion possibly as early as next Sunday.

I want to be clear that the requirements for this are fairly open. Anything from the odd session, to a once a week, or even multiple sessions are encouraged.

The point of this is having someone who can dispatch clients and be able to pass all data to the next host set to take over. It could be anywhere from days, to minutes for the transfer to complete. All depends on who is available.

Thanks

Sean