Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: East Coast Lines?

Default East Coast Lines?

Is Run 8 planning on doing some east coast lines anytime soon? Not necessarily some of the big, well known ones. Have any of you ever heard of the Norfolk Southern Winston Salem District "Pumpkin Vine"?

Answers: Yes, I am aware of one that is in development, but nothing has been announced publicly. Yes, we have several NS engineers and railfans in Run8 MP sessions who are well-acquainted with their routes. Because of the MP emphasis, Run8 routes will need to be high traffic in nature, and secondary main lines do not lend themselves to realistic MP. Personally I think the NS Rathole would be a much better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by flarrfan2 View Post
    Answers: Yes, I am aware of one that is in development, but nothing has been announced publicly. Yes, we have several NS engineers and railfans in Run8 MP sessions who are well-acquainted with their routes. Because of the MP emphasis, Run8 routes will need to be high traffic in nature, and secondary main lines do not lend themselves to realistic MP. Personally I think the NS Rathole would be a much better choice.
    i agree with the rathole. also, the pocahontas division would be great, especially with all of the mine runs that would keep people busy....

I slightly disagree with the statement that one has to have exclusive high capacity routes.

A short line operation would in fact be a welcome site for many on the outside of the popular sessions. Though I do agree that having a high capacity route is going to probably be more profitable in sales and numbers.

One thing to keep in mind too is growth and overall numbers. We are still a ways away from any editors. I know east coast has been talked about, but last I heard there was some more west coast stuff ahead of it but I'm out of the loop these days.

Needles should be a good test as far as numbers go. Though I think sessions would benefit from slightly smaller numbers such as 15 Mojave and perhaps 15 on Needles (from what I understand it's a very fast subdivision but has high capacity) eventually as more and more routes get released the growth of MP has to also support it. Why one has to be careful about people losing interest before it gets that far.

More routes and editors should push demand in unity I would think. But if you ever get it to a level of the number of routes available for say MSTS there is a chance that many routes will not be supported by servers on a regular basis. Again this is mostly speculative but food for thought.

Thanks

Sean

Well since it is on the website now, i know of one east coast route coming out

Trying to run more than 4 or five users on the Alaska?...

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    More routes and editors should push demand in unity I would think. But if you ever get it to a level of the number of routes available for say MSTS there is a chance that many routes will not be supported by servers on a regular basis. Again this is mostly speculative but food for thought.
    I don't think it's at all speculative.

There will probably be some uptick in demand with new releases, but you'll also have the "shiny new toy" effect to combat. That's what happened when Buzz replaced Woody in "Toy Story" and then both get replaced by a puppy....

Right now, there's no alternative except to run the Mohave. It's a captive audience.

As new routes are released, the user base gets fragmented. The number using the Mohave could shrink considerably. It's no longer the shiny new toy. That process will continue every time a new route comes out. Some people will stick around, but I suspect a lot will instinctively go to pick up the shiny new toy...

Will it still be as much fun to be in a session with fewer people? Won't matter to some, but it may to others who like the social aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by SCLALINE View Post
    Well since it is on the website now, i know of one east coast route coming out
    Hmmm.... the Future Projects page at Run8studios.com lists a number of route projects in the planning stage including "CSX A-line"...

Here are just a few of the projects that the Run 8 Team is working on and are in various stages of development.
    Routes
    BNSF Needles Sub: Track work and Dispatcher screens 90% complete. Release/Price TBA
    BNSF Cajon Sub: in planning stage. Release/Price TBA
    CSX A-Line : in planning stage. Release/Price TBA
    UP Yuma Sub: in planning stage. Release/Price TBA
    Alaska Railroad: in planning stage. Release/Price TBA

Last edited by flarrfan2; 03-11-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Pocahontas would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by goneon66 View Post
    i agree with the rathole. also, the pocahontas division would be great, especially with all of the mine runs that would keep people busy....

Yeah A Line was something I had not noticed in my last check (I was thinking about it while I wad down there that it would be nice to include). Now that is interesting to me as I'm curious if that is including the place I just came back from Folkston, Georgia AKA The Florida Funnel. It was my 3rd time there 15 hours of driving over a day and a half one way and I did the entire trip in 96 hours with my son. I believe the A Line is part of the Nahunta Sub and the Jessup Sub connects at Folkston before heading towards Jacksonville.

I think the next several months if anything I hope is a learning process. Right now there is quite a few happy people with the product, but where the add on fit in and ultimately the tools is going to play into what can or can't be controlled. If it's not about control and it's truly about protecting a forum only then it will do just fine. But worrying about what happens on other forums would suggest otherwise. I'll be happy to spend more money provided I get to run the way I want to run. Right now for me it's just a holding pattern and programming new features that interact with it is the only thing that inspires me.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    Yeah A Line was something I had not noticed in my last check (I was thinking about it while I wad down there that it would be nice to include). Now that is interesting to me as I'm curious if that is including the place I just came back from Folkston, Georgia AKA The Florida Funnel. It was my 3rd time there 15 hours of driving over a day and a half one way and I did the entire trip in 96 hours with my son. I believe the A Line is part of the Nahunta Sub and the Jessup Sub connects at Folkston before heading towards Jacksonville.

I think the next several months if anything I hope is a learning process. Right now there is quite a few happy people with the product, but where the add on fit in and ultimately the tools is going to play into what can or can't be controlled. If it's not about control and it's truly about protecting a forum only then it will do just fine. But worrying about what happens on other forums would suggest otherwise. I'll be happy to spend more money provided I get to run the way I want to run. Right now for me it's just a holding pattern and programming new features that interact with it is the only thing that inspires me.

Thanks

Sean

Sean you start out talking about the A Line then ramble to the forum talk why.
    Work Safe play hard