Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Look Who Likes Run8!

Default Look Who Likes Run8!

For those who can't or won't read this at the Run8America forum:

I recently retired from GE where I was a design engineer for the GEVO. Our locomotive assembly workforce is unionized and tended to have the highest seniority with long vacation benefits. By late November each year many had taken the rest of the year off. But, that was also the rush season to get the last of the "shippers" out the door before the end of the financial year.

As a consequence, a number of us salaried workers were trained to build and test locomotives on weekends and over the Christmas holidays. I probably put in over 500 hours in the shops (loading software, testing brakes, load-testing the diesel engine, etc.) and another 240 hours running locomotives on the test track.

Since I have experience with the real thing, my expectations for simulation are rather high ... no fanboy here.

The accuracy of the models in Run 8 are of a very high level, as well as the sounds. The MFD's (they are called SDIS's or "smart displays" on the GEVO) are nothing short of amazing. The only things missing are a few softkeys that would have been used for passwords to get to the L2 (maintainer) and L3 (design and software engineer) screens, which wouldn't be meaningful to the average simmer anyway. We had over 50 people upstairs in my building writing code for the smart displays. The performance here in the sim is remarkable, given the small team that R8 must have.

Little things like the compressor speed bar graph on the Locomotive monitor page when the compressor kicks in (the sound is also accurate), the slow "time to load" (it really does take 40-50 seconds to reach full power), the breakers and switches to prepare the loco for use are all very much as I remember them. I like the careless positioning of the sun visors too .... they were always wobbly and hanging at odd angles.

I'll need more time running in the sim to see how well the dynamic brakes are modeled. On a DC, the dynamics give up around 5 mph and I'd have to finish the stop with the air brakes. With an AC, I could drag the consist almost to a dead stop with the dynamics. We loved to run AC's.

I can't comment on the train dynamics because the longest consist I ever ran was eight locos (four in power and four in dynamics bucking them to simulate a train load), so I never had much slack.

I actually like the route and scenery. I spent two weeks in the Barstow locomotive shops (west end of the yard) and so there's some deja vu when looking out of the cab.

I dusted off my trusty RailDriver from about 11 years ago and it works great. I just need to figure out how to assign the blue buttons and I'm golden. True, it models the "desktop" controller (which I disliked) rather than the "AAR stand", but when the RailDriver came out, desktops were what we (and EMD) were shipping.

The only thing I would add to the sim would be TrackIR compatibility.

All in all, an excellent job!

GEtrack

And the point of this is...?
    Last edited by TrainMan_112; 03-09-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrainMan_112 View Post
    And the point of this is...?
    Realism! I believe he was mentioning how run8 performs compaired to the actual locomotives he works with.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic75077_5.gif
    Cory Duguid
    US NAVY VET

It's a good statement by someone who apparently works for GE. For me I'm already convinced.

Though I believe this statement is legitimate one has to be careful of anyone claiming to be someone. I know of a some people who claim many things on the internet, and eventually aren't who they say they are.

Again not saying this is the case, but a word of caution. Many engineers though in the past say it is pretty close to the real thing, so for me this is nothing surprising.

Thanks

Sean

It's pretty much a majority consensus. I've not played it a lot, but I will at some point. I have many games distracting me.
    EMD 2-strokes rule! My all-time favorite:SD45X I also like SD40-2/SD40T-2/SD45-2/SD45T-2/DD35A/DDA40X/SD70ACe/SD80ACe
    i7-7700HQ // 16GB DDR4 // GTX 1080 // 2TB SSD + 1TB HD // 17" 144Hz FHD w/G-Sync // TS2021 // TSW // T:ANE // Run 8 V2

Nobody has ever disputed the fact that Run 8 is very accurate when it comes to simulating the physics and dynamics of a rather large diesel loco and its consist.
    This gentleman's observations and conclusions strongly reinforce what many of us have long believed.

No - it's not the sim itself that is held to be at fault.

Bruce

Why penalize yourself from enjoying the best, and arguably the only true, railroad simulator just because you don't like the business model? For those of you who disapprove of what you've heard about the forum moderation and/or who disclaim any interest in simulating railroad operations via multi-player, then perhaps Run8 is not for you. Those who feel otherwise hope that you may open your minds and give it a try some day.

Quote Originally Posted by flarrfan2 View Post
    Why penalize yourself from enjoying the best, and arguably the only true, railroad simulator just because you don't like the business model? For those of you who disapprove of what you've heard about the forum moderation and/or who disclaim any interest in simulating railroad operations via multi-player, then perhaps Run8 is not for you. Those who feel otherwise hope that you may open your minds and give it a try some day.
    The "business model" is inherently flawed. If a customer happens to say something (God forbid on ANOTHER forum) that personally offends the owner of 3DTS, you are barred from any and all customer support. I understand that e-commerce can be a cut-throat arena, but one can only hope that the owner would do the right thing and provide some other form of support/documentation if he does not wish to grant you access to his forum.

While it is apparent that 3DTS no longer values me as a customer, I have a very funny feeling that despite brushing me off, they would have no issues whatsoever taking more of my money if I was to purchase DLC for Run 8.

Quote Originally Posted by flarrfan2 View Post
    Why penalize yourself from enjoying the best, and arguably the only true, railroad simulator just because you don't like the business model? ....
    For the same reasons that I won't buy certain products, clothing and foodstuffs produced by companies and businesses for whom I have nothing but contempt for their business models.

It's referred to as "having principles".

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by captain82 View Post
    Realism! I believe he was mentioning how run8 performs compaired to the actual locomotives he works with.
    Does he have any experience with around 12,000 tons behind the locomotives over undulating territory?

How about the accuracy of buff and draft forces throughout the train, did he comment about that too? Letís not forget the air brake model, how accurate does he think that is?
    Asus Maximus VI Extreme Intel Z87, Intel Core i7-4770K, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB PC3-19200 (2400MHz), EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN SuperClocked, Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB SSD (Windows 8.1 Pro 64)/Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD (Programs), CaseLabs Merlin SM8 with Corsair AX1200 PSU