Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trees on track

Default Trees on track

Hi,
    I have been recently running activities on the Canton Route by Richard Garber and have driven through a number of trees which have been placed in the middle of the track. As a result of asking for help on the route design forum on how to go about removing these errant trees using the route editor it was suggested that this situation is a result of how OR renders forest objects differently to MSTS. Is this a known bug in OR or should I log it in the Bug Tracker?
    Regards Stu

It may not be a bug, at all depending on where the forest's placement is. Can you take a screenshot of where the red line from the forest boundary is in relation to the track?

The RE tends to show stuff where it will be generated by MSTS. OpenRails has a different random seeding algorithm, so the trees do end up in different positions. What looked like it was clear of the track in the RE isn't necessarily clear in OR. I also suspect that MSTS takes the width of the tree itself into account when deciding what fits in the forest boundary, and OpenRails is taking into account just the center axis of the cruciform.

Better yet, if you know which forest object is encroaching, you can go into the world file, and manually adjust the Area () parameter, which is the width and height of the boundary box. Tweak it by 5-10m, and I suspect your trees will move clear enough...
    Last edited by eolesen; 03-07-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks for the info. I have never looked into the RE at all until trying to move the trees. The loco does not recognize them as an obstacle and drives right on through but it would be good to get it looking good. I will keep you posted as soon as I learn a bit more about working in the RE.
    Regards Stu

Hi,
    I have followed the help posted in the "Articles" section on working with the RE and after identifying the errant forest placement have deleted them where necessary and repopulated with individual trees. Took some time in identifying the problem boundaries as there was lots of overlapping. Thanks for all the help.
    Regards Stu.

It is not a bug. It is a consequence of the source code for MSTS not being available to the OR team and so it is impossible for OR to match the actual location of each tree as calculated by MSTS.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Would it be possible to add some logic to OR to keep it from displaying trees within a certain distance from the tracks?

Interesting thought...

Quote Originally Posted by dcarleton View Post
    Would it be possible to add some logic to OR to keep it from displaying trees within a certain distance from the tracks?
    If so, don't push them too far back from the edge of the ballast because it may also affect shrubbery.
    Nothing looks more un-lifelike than a pristine, straight-edged run of track through a forested or wooded area, particularly if it is an industrial shortline.

Bruce

I have just committed a code which avoids placing trees on tracks. It involves testing every tree to see if it is close to a track

To use this feature, one has to turn it on in Menu->Option->Simulation.

I tested it on Bernina pass, a route heavy with forest, without noticeable impact on performance. It did successfully avoid the big tree placed on the track in front of the St. Moritz tunnel.
    Last edited by jjtang; 03-10-2013 at 07:44 PM.

I will *** GLADLY *** test this. My current route up in northern Wisconsin & Michigan is surrounded by forest for most of its length, and I already have a script written to create forest objects in the W files based on track object positions.

This change would allow me to create essentially *** ALL *** of the forestry for 200+ miles of mainline in about 10 minutes....

It's far easier to delete 100 or so objects for grade crossings, towns, etc. than it will to place 2000+ forest objects or 10,000+ tree clumps...
    Last edited by eolesen; 03-10-2013 at 11:58 PM.