Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run 8 Network

Default Run 8 Network

I was looking into various news group methods out there this evening, and I decided to go ahead and create a Google Group called Run 8 Network. Though I've added the group into my RTS website, this is not to be confused with RTS as the network can apply to anyone who is looking to host or share information. The network can be read by anyone at http://groups.google.com/group/run8network?hl=en

The concept behind this is similar to the alliance concept I was toying around with for the past month. Though RTS can be used I wanted to keep this as it's own entity and not be confused with RTS. I am the owner of the group, however I encourage anyone who is using Run8 to check it out. Membership is not required to view messages, but I encourage people to join up and use it as if it catches on it has the potential of many benefits.

None the least of which is anyone who announces a session has the ability to reach the inbox of all participants. The user can control and change if they want to receive direct messages, daily digests, etc. By announcing that you are going onto a server that may include details such as the train you are running, your essentially advertising to others that someone is on the server and they may be more inclined to check it out.

Other benefits include the sharing of information such as switch lists, track bulletins, trains, and even entire sessions that can be moved between one server to the next. This can either be used to allow a session to continue elsewhere and let everyone know what is going on. It can also be used in the case of joined servers such as when Needles becomes available where 1 server transfers a train off server a and joins server b etc.

Rules are fairly simple and in fact are pretty much in line with what is on train-sim for example. In other words discussions as long as they are civil are permitted. The group can also be added into existing websites for easy communication when checking out your own personal content. Similar to the Run 8 forum that would post new sessions, this has the added benefits mentioned above and can be seen as a more direct approach to getting people involved when activity is up.

Thanks

Sean

I think you'll like the functionality Groups offers. I've been managing listserv's there for several years.

There is one downside -- because it triggers emails, the communication is immediate and irrevocable. That requires a different mindset when posting & responding. Some are better than others at adapting to it. I prefer it because it makes me check things twice or three times before hitting the send key. Here, I can be a little more quick on the trigger, and go back & edit something if it doesn't look right..

Yes been using Google doc and groups for awhile mainly for family and you had better engage brain before opening mouth as when you hit that send button it's gone and to late to change it.
    Work Safe play hard

Yeah I was using Yahoo Groups for a long time, and I slowly stepped away from it in search for a web presence. I know a while back when I made the move to go from a group to a website, I wanted a forum as well. The actual forums unless you know what your doing are not well suited for most website projects. But they are good for information and downloading though they require maintenance.

Not sure why I chose Google Groups this time around, but I had been on one and it looked a little more advanced then what I remember with Yahoo. I could be wrong, but I don't remember file and image sharing. I know you can make announcements and a few other things I haven't explored yet.

I know you can reply to individuals vs. the group which is probably a good idea if something is personal in nature anyways. Hoping when people see messages popping up into their email box they take this into account.

That disadvantage however is an advantage for getting a message out right away vs a forum. For me that is the overall goal to let people know your out there.

Thanks

Sean

They went thru an upgrade about a year ago. Slightly more features, although they did take away a few as well, mainly the ability to have pages as part of the group. That's easy enough to fix by setting up a parallel Google Site. I've done those for two of my route projects, and it's just a matter of setting the Site security to be locked down to members of the Group.

If the immediate nature becomes a problem, you do have the option to turn off email delivery, and force everyone to participate via the web.

The main advantage I've seen in Google Groups has been spam control and hacking. I've lost track of the number of Yahoo groups and userID's I've seen getting spammed or hacked. I've yet to see that happen on any of the four Google groups I manage or the other half dozen I participate in.

I like the assign and complete features as well as the no need to reply. Kind of reminds me of the box.net features just a bit cleaner. Though I haven't tried assign yet as I'm only up to a few members now, the complete and no need to reply is really cool.

I can see where the assign could come into play especially when servers want to assign trains or particular jobs. Still a bit more feeling out but I do see potential.

Thanks

Sean

I guess now your website will go as you can have it on Google docs and groups for free.
    Work Safe play hard

As long as I can keep the bandwidth low I'll probably still keep the website as it's free anyways now. At the moment I have the group replacing the old forum on there which wasn't really used that much. At the moment it also links up to my box.net account for various downloads as I've pretty much removed as much bandwidth as I can from it.

I really didn't explore Google docs or groups that much despite switching over the Chrome/Gmail a few years back. I found Yahoo Groups didn't give me enough of what I was looking for. But the spreadsheet ability in Google Docs would of been nice to have a few months back.

Thanks

Sean

Wanted to bump this one time with an update. From talks I've had there is at least 1 other server joining the network. We are still very small in overall numbers, and could do much more if we continue to grow. I encourage others not only if they want to participate in RTS, but any server you wish to advertise.

Anyone has access to read the network if you want to find out more. You can also go to my website and view it from there as it's embedded along with the RTS Mojave Matrix. This will give you the latest updates both between and in the sessions of what is happening, and what is available.

Thanks

Sean

im getting the following spam now - Hello dear

How are you doing today, i hope every things is OK with you as its my

pleasure to contact you after viewing your profile in this site(http://railroadtransportationsimulator.webs.co) which really interest in me having communication with you,if you will have the desire with me so that we can get to know each other better and see what will happen in future. i will be very happy if you can write me through my email for easiest communication and to know all about each other OK,

here is my email. i will be waiting to hear from you,

your new friend Perpetual