Thread: Starting the program

Default Starting the program

I just purchased the BNSF Mojave Desert. The Run 8 platform is included? Before starting the game I downloaded and installed 2 patches. No desktop icons were generated. I opened the Run 8 folder clicked the Run 8 Train Simulator.exe and get a popup that Run 8 has stopped working. Am I doing or have done something wrong in the install. My OS is Vista Ultimate 32 bit and surpasses minimum requirements. I thought I might find help in their forums, but find that I am perminently banned from a forum I never belonged to!!

John
    Last edited by DCRR1; 03-21-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by DCRR1 View Post
    I just purchased the BNSF Mojave Desert. The Run 8 platform is included? Before starting the game I downloaded and installed 2 patches. No desktop icons were generated. I opened the Run 8 folder clicked the Run 8 Train Simulator.exe and get a popup that Run 8 has stopped working. Am I doing or have done something wrong in the install. My OS is Vista Ultimate 32 bit and surpasses minimum requirements. I thought I might find help in their forums, but find that I am perminently banned from a forum I never belonged to!!

John
    Hi John:

That is indeed frustrating.

I've been able to get the program running in both XP and Win 7 with no problem.

Did you try running the program as "administrator?" I'm not totally up on this issue, but this could be the problem.

There's something wrong with their forum, because the "authentication" area has been unreadable for some time.

If you've read the posts about the Secret Police issues on this forum, you'll get an idea of who and what is going on over there.

You're the first person banned without ever belonging. At least I got to ask Brad the Great if he was snarky, and then I got banned.

In any case, judge the program on it's merits/potential - unfortunately, it has many, so I'm still using it. Most of the answers you need can be found here. We can only hope Brad regains his senses, and realizes he's committing business suicide.

Robert

John
    There should be an .exe of some kind in the root folder. I thought it was a .NET Framework installer or something similar. Run it, and you should be good to go.

It's too bad about the ban, because as far as I'm concerned, you just flushed $40 down the toilet (don't feel bad, I did too).

Hi Robert:

Thanks for the reply. I found the problem. The other night when I was deciding whether or not to buy I saw that something had to be installed after the download was installed. I finally it < xna stuff > and installed it. Starts ok now. Just have to get with the learnig curve and see if I can take it apart like M$TS and put it back together to suit me.

Thanks again I appreciate your help.

John
    Last edited by DCRR1; 03-21-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: fat fingered keyboard

It's too bad about the ban, because as far as I'm concerned, you just flushed $40 down the toilet (don't feel bad, I did too).

I figured I was banned because I was dumb enough to buy it. Just make the best of it.

John

....Just have to get with the learnig curve and see if I can take it apart like M$TS and put it back together to suit me....
    There are a couple of helpful videos included with the documentation but be aware that there are also one or two errors in the key designations.
    For example, to refuel is Ctrl+R, not Ctrl+F.

Shift+F6 will bring up the list of keystrokes, which you can edit to your preference.

This is a good sim, but I don't think that, at the moment, you can "take it apart like MSTS".

Bruce
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

John, are you starting the program as the "administrator"? If not this might be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
    John, are you starting the program as the "administrator"? If not this might be the problem.
    Problem was I didn't install the xna platform after installing run 8.

John