Thread: Still worth the price to me

Default Still worth the price to me

You know I've seen plenty about bad tastes etc. and I have experienced that first hand. But I have to say for me (not necessarily for everyone) is well worth the value. No matter what negatives I've gone through, the positives far outweigh them.

I know people have mentioned the forum issues, where of course just as many have found it better than any other (I'm not going to rehash this here as we've had plenty of those messages). I've been both supportive and critical of many things. But for me personally there is a reason why this remains the only simulator I use now.

I love eye candy like anyone else would. There have been some classic routes done in MSTS that I've personally been part of. I also have seen tons of great scenery in Railworks. But for me I think Run8 holds it's own very well. As far as eye candy and immersion goes for me nothing beats this program.

I know many want to see AI and/or less dependence on the internet or MP sessions. I hear you and for me I think AI will be the icing on the cake. But for now even not with the official forum, there is still enough to keep me occupied. I can see where running single player would get boring pretty quick for many. But the operational openness I haven't seen in any other program. There is no activity editor to mess around with, you simply build your world up with stock and run trains.

Tonight for example there was a time where I only had 3 people on. No meets, the radio was fairly quiet, and all 3 of us where switching. I was running the SJVR up in Bakersfield, while the UP Edison Local and UP Tehachipi Turn was out and about. I set up the power for Edison Local before he left, lined up his switches, and gave him an inspection before I restored them for him to go back to my switching. At the end of the night for the last couple hours I was the only one on. It was cool to see a train I built spread out among industries as I passed through Edison.

I understand there is some busy and prototypical servers out there. But I find that those that don't get it don't see how running the same line back and forth is appealing. Even with a few people on, I don't know of any AI system on any other simulator that would of accomplished what we did tonight. Yes I wish there was a bit more mainline traffic, but it's really amazing what 1 route and a few people can do. I can only imagine what it will be like as the next route arrives shortly. For me it's always fresh, and always changing but it's all in the operations that make it that way.

Thanks

Sean

the traffic will come in time, we just have to put the negatives behind us

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    ....I love eye candy like anyone else would. There have been some classic routes done in MSTS that I've personally been part of. I also have seen tons of great scenery in Railworks. But for me I think Run8 holds it's own very well. As far as eye candy and immersion goes for me nothing beats this program....
    This might read as a bit corny but I really like the graphics in R8 because the overall effect reminds me very much of a watercolour painting.
    Whilst the shapes are sharply defined, there is a softness about the colours and I get a strong impression that it is a hot, dry day outside the cab. That effect comes on very strongly when the time is set to early morning - there is the impression that, as the clock ticks over, this is going to get rather warm.

I am also impressed by the light at dawn and dusk.
    I have never seen a twilight executed so well in any other trian sim.

Night-time also has its own special characteristics.
    For example, I was out of Mojave heading towards Tehachapi and wondered what the hell was wrong with signals some distance ahead - there were several red aspects but they kept turning on and off.
    Then, as I got closer, through the darkness I could see that they were actually the aircraft-warning lights on top of the transmission towers for the high-voltage power lines!

Yep - I really like the graphics in Run 8.
    For me they provide just the right amount of detail for a train-sim, are crisply defined and are beautifully coloured.

I still use other sims but when I want to really immerse myself in the responsibility of moving a mile-long heavy freight from point A to point B, I fire up Run 8.

Bruce
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0