Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have we all taken are ball and gone home?

Default Have we all taken are ball and gone home?

I actually spent a little bit of time doing other things this week. I believe last Friday was the last session I ran and despite having a few faces show up I hadn't seen in a while nothing much has happened. As it turned out I was busy Saturday, and Sunday I had plans as well so I didn't really do much. But oddly enough neither did anyone else. So when my normal Wednesday slot came around I decided not to bother.

So Friday is here again and I decided to make some noise. But this time despite being free both the rest of today and tonight and Sunday I haven't announced a thing anywhere.

A while back I heard people complaining about how being kicked out of the Run8 forums is a disadvantage. Now some have experienced the bad taste in their mouth, and I get that because at times I've felt the same way. But I got over that a long time ago, in fact I could care less what the Run 8 Forum is doing. While some tout tag lines of "Obama We Built This" they act more like a Communist control nanny state that I really don't want to be part of. Being kicked out of it for the 2nd time weeks back for me was a wake up call. The advantages of freedom far outweighs the disadvantages big brother watching every move so that I feel part of a community.

But this isn't about them, because as far as I'm concerned it is history. Now I would like to focus on the present and future but one thing said HERE is leaving a bad taste on my mouth far more than anything I experienced weeks ago. Where are all these people who said they don't have servers to go to? I advertised here several times as did a few others with little or no response. I have a network built for anyone to advertise their sessions if they wish to host.

The difference between those that complained is I don't see a disadvantage other than numbers of being outside that bubble. If we truly feel the product is great and it's the treatment that sucks then where are we now? If the numbers are in fact true that these huge numbers of people were kicked off of the forum, have they simply taken their ball and gone home?

Don't get me wrong I know there are other simulators out there. I also know many who want to punish them for their treatment. Quite frankly it's all white noise to them. They don't care about those they sent to the curb. As for the people inside the bubble they are just happy because they are getting exactly what they want out of their sim. Boycotting Run8 will do little to no good because even to the new prospect who joins the group and doesn't have personal issues it's all white noise.

Personally if I let their stupid PR decisions dictate how I value a product, then they already won. I have had just as much fun running with anyone regardless of how they feel about the team. I'm willing to do more, I have a network waiting to be utilized by anyone.

As I've said I will personally update my software to attempt such things as AI if I have the support to do so. As of right now I've had 60 people download a beta add on program and absolutely no feedback. In other words there is no incentive to push for something people aren't interested in. Just like hosting a server, even a few dedicated people was enough to keep me happy. Lets face it running trains in single player gets boring no matter what system if any is in place.

I've even gone so far as posting my save files and seeing if others would work on it to move cars and trains along. Not perfect but at least it gives the impression of being part of something. So it's up to you guys who want in. If your not interested I get it, no need to reply.

Thanks

Sean

Sean, I'll say straight off that I don't use Run 8, for no other reason than multiplayer isn't my focus. That's mostly because life never leaves me the time to get involved in multiplayer-style games... and that may be all that's going on for other folks right now. We've had a winter season that refuses to let go, and folks have plenty of outdoor cleanup to get busy on that's been held off by the weather... "honey-do" lists getting longer... kids' and grandkids' activities starting up... seasonal-related work getting busy --Plenty of things to keep folks away from the computer for anything but short stints. In my case, I'm going to be caught-up in finding and moving into a new house along with everything else, so trainsimming takes a back seat. I wouldn't worry too much. Things come and go -- either in the summer when it's too darn hot outside, or wintertime when everybody's shut in, activity will inevitably pick up. It's the times when seasons change, it seems like everybody gets caught up in gotta-get-stuff-done mode and hobbies tend to take a back seat. Just my thoughts...

MSTS-Roundhouse

On hiatus and moving to a new host -- Probably in 2021
    (Because 2020 has turned out to be b0rked beyond belief...
    )

So true Eric but to some the computer is their life.
    Work Safe play hard

Where Standard Gauge is 3 feet between the rails.

Sean, don't take me the wrong way here, but it seems you have an obsession with the game, kind of like the World of Warcrack folks...

My guess is that most of the people kicked off their forums simply took their refund and said to heck with it. Or the game got boring and walked away. Complaints I've seen are the one single route, trains always the same, no ability to create content or a route editor, and the same old same old...

That, along with what I've read about the forums and the general attitude doesn't make for a very good business model.

Robert

I want to Run 8 soon, but film commitments limit my free time right now. As Eric said, it's partially a seasonal thing.
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Dude that is like saying I'm obsessed with Coke Zero because I like that as a drink. I haven't ran the sim in over a week, and I am perfectly content and comfortable in my life not to worry about it.

For example this afternoon I'm going to my model railroad club. Not everyone is into model railroading or Run8 or virtual railroading for that matter. But there is a good chance that people at the very least like trains if they monitor this forum. For the record as I mentioned last Friday was the last time I did anything in Run8 except my weekly update and posts yesterday.

This wasn't addressing those who have said it's a bad business model. It's addressing those that have said right here that they didn't have access to other MP.

As for my life being surrounded by a computer pretty much it is these days. Between researching for jobs, investing, and keeping updated on the latest news and education yes. My son unfortunately is limited into the time I get to spend with him, but we spend very little on the computer.

Now that the warmer weather is coming I like to get out more. But I don't think questioning what people said on this forum and giving them an alternative marks as an obsession or lack of life. I did all I could to get on the road this spring and was met with health red flags that wasn't going to make it happen.

If there is anything I'm obsessed about these days has nothing to do with trains, but the world we live in. I don't think a guy looking for an escape once a week (in this case myself a post here what 3 weeks later) qualifies as an obsession. It's a hobby.

Thanks

Sean

I have to agree with some of these posts, that this is just a part-time hobby and a seasonal thing. Lately, Run 8 seems to be my flavor of choice. However, I am an avid model railroader and enjoy lots of other things on the side too. Sean, I think things will pick back up. Especially when they release some new content. The sim is great and even if the PR team is alittle sketchy, it still does no detract from how much I enjoy running some virtual trains for the hour or two I get to each week. If I took the point of your original post as you intended it, those of us that really enjoy this sim are still out here despite the bad taste everyone seems to have for some "insider's only club" type forum. When new content gets released, I think that things around here will pick up. More content=More possibilities!...Or maybe that's just my take on all of this...

-Rich

Love Run 8 in single and multiplayer. Changing the train changes the physics and makes every run different. Haven't been in lately due to: (1) Income taxes due and taking spare time away; (2) Weather getting nicer and spending some time outside; (3) busier at work.

Waiting for release of Needles sub, Amtrak.

Mark
    A Southern Railway Fan

well one complaint about only one route is about to be blown out of the water, though i disagree about the PR issue, i sincerely doubt anyone was banned without prior warning, yet decided to press the issue, maybe the moderators want to avoid the childishness as seen over and over again like happens here in the kindergarten, i swear this is the only hobby i have ever been involved in where people take things way too seriously, I've been an amateur radio operator for a while and you don't see this, i guess it will never change and i may have too much of the truck driver attitude in my blood, but those who got banned probably deserved it and just have hurt feelings, Sean i respect you and i respect most here with a couple of exceptions, but what will this accomplish, knowing things are how they are what outcome do you expect? it is not an insiders only club but there are standards of civil behavior on the forums that the moderators expect the subscribers to abide by
    Last edited by Nels_Anderson; 04-18-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCLALINE View Post
    well one complaint about only one route is about to be blown out of the water, though i disagree about the PR issue, i sincerely doubt anyone was banned without prior warning, yet decided to press the issue,
    I was banned with no warning whatsoever.

I understand you are developing payware for Run 8, and I sincerely wish you the best in your professional relationship with 3DTS; just realize that there have been some of the moves by them (regarding forum bans) have been very questionable.
    Last edited by TrainMan_112; 04-14-2013 at 01:00 AM.