Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curious about Run8 multi-player?

Default Curious about Run8 multi-player?

Check this out: http://www.twitch.tv/TheKramMan

Note: active only when user is online with Run8

Nice concept. But if I was a new user who was looking to get into MP this would probably scare me away. It all depends on what people are looking for but at any given time it could be awesome, or boring.

Thanks for the link though I may check in now and then.

Thanks

Sean

Who is driving? Amazing they're still in one piece.

In all fairness, it's a neat stream.
    Last edited by TrainMan_112; 04-16-2013 at 05:32 PM.

I watched it for a while. It reminded me of those videotapes of an aquarium or a fireplace. Fun for a few minutes, but not much longer than that.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    I watched it for a while. It reminded me of those videotapes of an aquarium or a fireplace. Fun for a few minutes, but not much longer than that.
    As someone that sometimes watches "Tournament's" on Twitch.tv, I promise you, it gets boring to watch after about 2 to 3 minutes, no matter what it is about.

It is a neat stream, but I couldn't stomach it more than 5 minutes. Someone was driving heading down from Mojave and I heard a conversation between 2 people that had nothing to do with what was going on anywhere on the railroad.

There was another interesting stream that was up months ago that showed a view of the loop. Unfortunately that server didn't get much action at least when I watched it.

What I try to do (mind you my numbers are not very exciting at all) is I put out a dynamically updating spreadsheet on my website. I indicate if the server is up, the IP where to go etc. But in doing so I also update who is doing what and where. But all it's going to do is show something that anyone who joined could find out on there own by flying around the world and seeing where the action is. I guess the purpose is to save time so that if there isn't enough action for them (often) they could avoid it all together.

To me what would really show a benefit to what MP can do are edited videos. If they are using a system show how they use that system. Something that was heavily edited and gives an idea why people are passionate about MP, and what brings them back for more.
    Though I have videos they are shot with a camcorder at a big screen HDTV and are meant as tutorials. I post all my switch lists now as well, but it's not meant as publicity but more for information users can use in their session.

If you take someone with the ability of say Nick O who did a great video on Run8. But instead put it in the perspective of following a train in a very busy session with plenty of editing and showing data I'm sure it would come across and encourage many.

Again I'm not knocking the live feed as it's an inside look. But it would take someone hours to even know what his train is and it's purpose to come across as encouraging what MP is capable of. I think most people get that MP is trains passing each other. What they don't get is the co-operation, communication, and some times exchange or interchange of cars within a session. At that level is where no AI system out there can do. AI is limited for the most part A to B running, and some advanced AI may allow for a pickup and drop off. But after that everything is scripted and not dynamic like an MP session can be.

Thanks

Sean

I find the stream very intresting, as I don't own Run8 yet (but soon will). I learned quite alot watching and listening to some of the challenges and problems of running a session. You can tell who knows what they doing and the new guys. I feel I'm along for the ride.
    Without butting in on the operation.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

This must be the reason why multiplayer bores me to tears.
    Rather than train simming, this is "Communications Simulator".

Bruce
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Must not bore you that much to take the time to comment Bruce

and i quote your own words
    "Every game/sim has compromises and never in the field of computer-game creation has the end product met the expectations and desires of every player."
    Last edited by SCLALINE; 04-19-2013 at 04:41 AM.

That stream is not characteristic of every server out there. For the longest time I was against teamspeak for that very reason. If you look at my post about a session the other night with very few people that was what it's all about. I'm also sure there is much more action on that server when work needs to get done too. TS is a great tool, but it can be abused. Chat doesn't seem as intrusive to me and I rather use that more for the odd conversation. The busier it gets to by rights the chat should diminish into prototype operations more to keep the channels clear. But anyone is open to do whatever they want with their servers, or their choices. I don't let that kind of thing define me.

Thanks

Sean